Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Options for SAM
Options for SAM
First Page 2
 Shiva.Cybermario
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Cybermario 2013-04-13 10:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now i dont own an empy/woe/relic/mythic for sam and have other ws merited for other jobs so no Shoha by the moment.

What would be decent ws sets for Tachi: Gekko, Tachi: Kasha and/or Tachi: Ageha
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2013-04-13 10:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have Stardiver merited, I'd use it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-13 10:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fudo/Kaiten/Shoha/Stardiver/Namas/Apex

Get one of those or don't bother with SAM.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-13 10:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

How does Apex do for non-relic\emp SAM anyways?(If people happen to have it merited, for whatever reason, and wants to give SAM a go, but no room for shoha/stardiver)
I never see anybody mention/use Apex, but 3ftp with 100% AGI mod and 15% defence ignored can't be THAT bad?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-04-13 10:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Apex is meh on RNG, I would figure stick with Refulgent's STR mod since you don't need to waste merits. But then again I wouldn't seriously use archery on sam anyhow.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-13 10:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sanders said: »
Apex is meh on RNG, I would figure stick with Refulgent's STR mod since you don't need to waste merits. But then again I wouldn't seriously use archery on sam anyhow.

Archery is pretty broken on SAM but you need lots of buffs and is pretty much only used with Yoichi but could probably be explorered with Apex and another high lvl bow.

Namas Example

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-13 10:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you do NOT \rng.
Losing out on berserk would be a horrible idea.
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-04-13 10:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
And as I'd stated prior, if you equip Yoichi with the intent of using Namas you'd need to have /Rng subjob.
wat
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-13 11:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You have no idea what you're talking about, so just stop.
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-04-13 11:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't bother reading after the first 3 sentences. You can use Namas without RNG sub. End of story.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-13 11:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

She forgot to equip the bow, that's why it didn't show up.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-13 11:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2013-04-13 11:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

He's totally right, I can't use Scourge on WAR unless I am /DRK. :/
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-13 11:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
And as I'd stated prior, if you equip Yoichi with the intent of using Namas you'd need to have /Rng subjob.
wat
I know someone who has a Yoichi and we got to talking about Namas two weeks back. I had asked if she could use Namas with Yoichi on and without Rng subbed. She popped hers on and Namas didn't appear in her WS list until after she had run into her MH and changed subs from War to Rng. Whereas Apex Arrow showed up regardless of subjob purely because it's a merit WS.

So, yeah... would you really want to bring any subjob other than War, Nin or Dnc to anything important as a Sam? Rng gives nothing for your main sources of damage most of the time, being GK with polearm coming in a close second. War at least gives Berserk, Agressor and Warcry. Nin gives access to the Utsusemi line of spells along with Tonko and Monomi. Dnc brings Spectral jig, drain/haste sambas and waltzes to the table.
So, unless for some reason you find yourself subbing Rng alot, I wouldn't waste the time with making a Yoichi unless you also do alot of events as Rng, but would rather sink some merits instead into Apex which you'd get regardless of subjob.

Bad troll attempt? That is some of the dumbest ***I've read on this forum.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-04-13 11:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

wat
I know someone who has a Yoichi and we got to talking about Namas two weeks back. I had asked if she could use Namas with Yoichi on and without Rng subbed. She popped hers on and Namas didn't appear in her WS list until after she had run into her MH and changed subs from War to Rng. Whereas Apex Arrow showed up regardless of subjob purely because it's a merit WS.

So, yeah... would you really want to bring any subjob other than War, Nin or Dnc to anything important as a Sam? Rng gives nothing for your main sources of damage most of the time, being GK with polearm coming in a close second. War at least gives Berserk, Agressor and Warcry. Nin gives access to the Utsusemi line of spells along with Tonko and Monomi. Dnc brings Spectral jig, drain/haste sambas and waltzes to the table.
So, unless for some reason you find yourself subbing Rng alot, I wouldn't waste the time with making a Yoichi unless you also do alot of events as Rng, but would rather sink some merits instead into Apex which you'd get regardless of subjob.

you need better more intelligent friends
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-13 11:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
wat

Bad troll attempt? That is some of the dumbest ***I've read on this forum.
I don't think it even comes close to "Haste takes time to proc" though
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-13 11:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently Namas takes time to proc in the ws list too.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-04-13 11:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

that ***made me waste perfectly good cereal i demand payment for like 9 fruity pebbles
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-13 11:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

wat

I don't know what drugs you and your friend are on, but it's some good quality stuff.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-13 12:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, he took seriously the takes time to proc thing.

Good times.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2013-04-13 12:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You all liar, sam need /rng for Namas, who need berserk to pop 3-6k namas in legion ?
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-04-13 12:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
You all liar, sam need /rng for Namas, who need berserk to pop 3-6k namas in legion ?

The only reason to /RNG in legion is to Scavenge Antlion arrow heads and craft them between waves. Actually makes the event free
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-04-13 12:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

this thread is starting my weekend off perfectly well done ffxiah well done indeed

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-13 13:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
wat

I don't know what drugs you and your friend are on, but it's some good quality stuff.
Personally beyond booze and cigars, I've never touched illegal ***. However, I'm considering what Sehachan mentioned as a possibility, and the WS took a while to show up and the girl I know didn't wait long enough to see while she was sam/war with Yoichi on, or she didn't actually equip it. Not sure if the relic WSes behave like Blu spells in that way, but it does seem possible.
When you equip a weapon or an item giving access to something exclusive that the item itself gives (such as a weapon skill or a spell with the Twilight Cloak), it will appear immediately. Why? Because equiping an item "refreshes" your character. The same way as unequiping and then equiping a trial weapon will make a WS show up (nyzul ones).

As simple as that. From this, we can conclude that your friend is an idiot.

As for the whole Yoichi and Namas thing, the relic itself gives the WS, that's all there is to know. From there, you conclude that /RNG is irrelevant, and it is. If it was relevant, SAM Yoichi wouldn't be as good as it is to begin with.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-04-13 13:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

what the *** did i just read ._.

anyways, @op

Draca couse and polearm it up. I have 95 amano and 90 masa and i still use my polearm just as much as my amano really.

on fodder mobs polearm is better, on areas you can cap attack and keep accuracy up, polearm is better

so yea... not to mention you can 4hit with dracacouse. i have 50 tp after i ws and attack once >.>;, make for some serious ws spam.

so get stardiver 5/5 and buy a draca couse and your done.
First Page 2