Gearing SAM for NNI
 Asura.Jezzus
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: L30x
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 06:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Redshift said: »
Your friends are stupid. Other than completely missing or engaging with 0TP, you will be using the TP from your previous WS. The STP in your WS gear matters to your 4/5 hit. Even if your white damage gives you exactly 25TP per hit, if you WS for 24TP you will be 1 TP short of 100TP, making it a 5hit instead of a 4 hit.

My friend certainly is not stupid. Hes just not referring to the result of a WS as the amount of hits it takes to WS. So in that light 4 hits(regular attacks) to reach the goal. Its just a different way of viewing this and I see that apparently this isn't the usual way to look at it. But that doesn't make him stupid. << ^^ >>

But now I understand. If i'm gonna be talking about an x-hit build I include TP return from WS.

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
it's 2013, and you still don't have rose strap? :|

Reallyy guy? It's 2013 and you still don't realize a question like that kinda sorta sounds like bigotry. Not everyone has been playing since the dawn of vana'diel. Do you not think some people are new to the game even now or have not progressed at the same rate as you have do to what ever factors of their personal lives? And is that really shameful? Uncalled for.
 Asura.Psubond
user: psubond
By Asura.Psubond 2013-04-20 06:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

rose strap is one of the most casual friendly items to get though..
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 07:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Psubond said: »

I'm pretty new, I came well after WotG and I didn't even know of the strap. I haven't done or looked into any WotG missions. As if I'm expected to have to know about this automatically, no. Its a great piece I would love to get it.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-04-20 07:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really get it. How do you play a Final Fantasy game and skip the story like WotG? /petpeeve on.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-20 07:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: misread
For the rose strap you need a medel rank and then can buy in sandy, you can buy it while allied to any nation.

Shiva.Paulu said: »
I don't really get it. How do you play a Final Fantasy game and skip the story like WotG? /petpeeve on.
To be fair with how long they kept us waiting on the second set of story missions it's entierly possible he stopped playing before they came.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 07:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Paulu said: »

I played for about 3 months in 2004. Came back on brand new char right when lvl cap was raised to 99 and have been off and on frequently since then. How have I skipped it when I've come so late after it. I've only Ranked 10 in one nation, mostly done with RotZ (gotta finish that soon), finished CoP, and dabbled a little in ToaU. And yes of course I'm finished with aby because that was where the game was when i came back.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 07:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

But anyways...

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Your TP phase:

25.2 * 3 = 75.6

Your WS return:

19.6 (1.5 per extra hit for a maximum of 24.1 tp return)

75.6 + 24.1 = 99.7

Not a 4-hit unless all hits from Stardiver land + a double attack proc. You could 4-hit if you had a Hagneia Stone, sure, but you're still sitting at 22% haste and depending on all hits to land (not a *huge* deal, I personally just prefer not to require all hits of a multi-hit WS to land to keep x-hit) with that set.

Ok so i took a cheap route to fix the issue. Take away Unkai Kote +2 and replace them with hachiman kote +1 (lol ik) 5 less str, no acc, but +9 more sTP for my return. Is the math the same for WS return as it is for TP/hit? where do the 1.5s come from? I used a TP calculator I found online and with the new gloves according to this turns out to only 23.8 for all four hits. I'm gonna go test it in action after this post.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-20 08:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I would stick to Masamune for the entire fight (90+) I wouldn't want to swap weapons and loose AM and TP just for a polearm. Lots of SAM's can deal 3-5k ws's in NNI now which essentially one shots floors 1-40, just my personal opinion. 3k seems fairly consistent if you gear properly for the event, 5k is with more High end gear such as Phorcy's Body an legion Drops etc (Not saying thats 5k is frequent with this gear, just more so)

I would personally be more bothered about Murasame, the weapon that turns all ws's into Non elemantal for Goaty custard than making X hit builds for a polearm which won't offer you the same Skillchain advantages as a GKT (I think) and is going to increase your damage output by? I don't think it warrents the other effects you will loose.

That said if someone can show me the math for the WS you're using that trounces a Masamune, then I'll concede defeat.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 15:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Personally I would stick to Masamune for the entire fight (90+) I wouldn't want to swap weapons and loose AM and TP just for a polearm. Lots of SAM's can deal 3-5k ws's in NNI now which essentially one shots floors 1-40, just my personal opinion. 3k seems fairly consistent if you gear properly for the event, 5k is with more High end gear such as Phorcy's Body an legion Drops etc (Not saying thats 5k is frequent with this gear, just more so)

I would personally be more bothered about Murasame, the weapon that turns all ws's into Non elemantal for Goaty custard than making X hit builds for a polearm which won't offer you the same Skillchain advantages as a GKT (I think) and is going to increase your damage output by? I don't think it warrents the other effects you will loose.

That said if someone can show me the math for the WS you're using that trounces a Masamune, then I'll concede defeat.

Well the point of this whole post was finding what I can get away with doing and avoiding building Masamune90. With all the nerfs they have done recently I'm hoping i can get away with just using Draca Couse exclusively. I don't know the mob levels of any mobs from any floor range in NNI. I've tried to find it to fight similar mobs outside of NNI but had no luck. So I personally have no idea how it will perform.

You said Murasame this lvl 70 GK is what you meant? Didn't see anything about what you said of it on wiki. Skill chain options on polearm for SAM are laughable unfortunately. Penta Thrust > Stardiver being the best. Although Konzen-ittai and Stardiver = Darkness. Which was enough to closely clean the lvl 90-93 crabs and opos in dangruf wadi that I tested my TP return on.

As for the math I can't help you out but I'm seriously doubting a Draca Couse Stardiver is a good as a Masamune90+ Tachi: Shoha. Then theres the skillchain issue.

Asura.Jezzus said: »
I'm gonna go test it in action after this post.

I got 25 and 27 TP returns on the WS set. So it is now finally a 4/hit.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-04-20 15:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

He would have meant Murasamemaru
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-20 15:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
He would have meant Murasamemaru

Apologies, Yes I meant the above.
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-04-20 15:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't be an idiot and you're geared well enough
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-04-20 16:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people may not like this but, If you're going SAM to NNI, and dont want to make a Masamune, may I ask why are you bothering with NNI? I mean yeah the Gear is nice, but the empyrean weapons give you a larger bonus than Phorcys and are "easier" to get.

Unless ofc you only want the Nares and don't have SCH then by all means carry on!
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-20 16:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Masamune is a waste in Nyzul anyway, moot point.

Fenrir.Reece said: »
^

Get a Draca already, it's better than the GK options in Nyzul and it's easy as sin to gear for, there shouldn't be so many pages in this thread, really.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-20 16:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people may not like this but, If you're going SAM to NNI, and dont want to make a Masamune, may I ask why are you bothering with NNI? I mean yeah the Gear is nice, but the empyrean weapons give you a larger bonus than Phorcys and are "easier" to get.

Unless ofc you only want the Nares and don't have SCH then by all means carry on!

Original reasoning was for Thaumas gear for nin and thf. But i will get other gear aswell after. Maybe aim to be 15/15 who knows. I will also definitely eventually get Masamune90 and take SAM up a notch for stuff outside Aby and NNI where my kannagi85 nin and stardiver sam don't shine so well.

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Fenrir.Reece said: ยป
^

Get a Draca already, it's better than the GK options in Nyzul and it's easy as sin to gear for, there shouldn't be so many pages in this thread, really.

Finished this morning, I have Draca Couse and my TP/WS set @ 4/hit. ^^
 Asura.Psubond
user: psubond
By Asura.Psubond 2013-04-22 02:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jezzus said: »

I'm pretty new, I came well after WotG and I didn't even know of the strap. I haven't done or looked into any WotG missions. As if I'm expected to have to know about this automatically, no. Its a great piece I would love to get it.

well, now you know where it comes from and it is ridiculously easy to get you just have to do campaign...that's it. you'll rank up and as you do that you'll build up your allied notes. it is VERY easy to get so now that you know where it comes from, other than laziness you don't have an excuse to not get it.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-22 20:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

well, now you know where it comes from and it is ridiculously easy to get you just have to do campaign...that's it. you'll rank up and as you do that you'll build up your allied notes. it is VERY easy to get so now that you know where it comes from, other than laziness you don't have an excuse to not get it.

captain obvious