SAM And Damage- Gear?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » SAM and Damage- gear?
SAM and Damage- gear?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-15 14:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it worth getting a Damage- set for soloing on SAM? Looking at a very basic one, I can get around -25%, more if I include a couple more pieces.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=89387

The Darksteel +1 is just there to fill in a couple more slots and add a little more Damage-
 Asura.Hiidan
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Hiidan 2009-06-15 14:06:01
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Not really.
 Sylph.Cerilono
user: Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2009-06-15 14:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Really it kinda depends what you're subbing on SAM, although I have tried these pieces against Tuchulcha, saw a small difference between the normal dmg and the -dmg. Though I guess for something to solo, it could work.

Also for leg piece, just get a Gavial leg piece, much cheaper, same -dmg.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-15 14:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd do 99.9% of my soloing /DNC.

Gavial is -Magic damage isn't it? I was looking more at -Physical damage to avoid being beaten into a bloody pulp XD
 Titan.Crypter
Server: Titan
user: Detsurin
By Titan.Crypter 2009-06-15 14:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use Byakko's Haidate for legs since it's 5% haste, accuracy, and relatively high defense. Hands you should just use some HP/High Defense/Evasion or something. And just use an accuracy ring, don't use that Coral Ring. lol
 Sylph.Cerilono
user: Cerilono
By Sylph.Cerilono 2009-06-15 14:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Gavial Cuisses are -3% dmg lol. Can look them up.

But yeah, Byakko's Haidate might be better.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-15 14:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Is it worth getting a Damage- set for soloing on SAM? Looking at a very basic one, I can get around -25%, more if I include a couple more pieces.

The Darksteel +1 is just there to fill in a couple more slots and add a little more Damage-

Absolutly yes. A full damage -% set is awesome! for soloing but very handy to have around for almost any event. Sam is an excellent OH ***tank when things start going to crap and a good set can make all the difference.

Gavil legs are the way to go, or if you have a Bonecraft friend have em make a pair of +1 like I did. They aren't that expensive to make and are the only T1 of the gavil set.

I still need to pick up the +1 hands myself but they are an AH rarity.

If Sam is your weekend job that you rarely use then I would probably pass, but if your intrested in using Sam in any extended fashion this build is a must have.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-06-15 14:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Hitetsu said:

Absolutly yes. A full damage -% set is awesome! for soloing but very handy to have around for almost any event. Sam is an excellent OH ***tank when things start going to crap and a good set can make all the difference.

Gavil legs are the way to go, or if you have a Bonecraft friend have em make a pair of +1 like I did. They aren't that expensive to make and are the only T1 of the gavil set.

If Sam is your weekend job that you rarely use then I would probably pass, but if your intrested in using Sam in any extended fashion this build is a must have.

Well, I don't really have any "weekend" job, other than WAR. I flick between my BLM and WHM a lot, and BRD for almost any NM I go to. I intend on using SAM as my "main DD job" when it's levelled 70+.

I already have a full Damage- set for BLM WHM and BRD, and I've noticed such a difference in survivability. I'm looking for gear I can hotswap onto NIN aswell with as few changes as possible.

I'm levelling Bonecraft atm, so I'll probably try to sign a +1 or two.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-15 15:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Frobeus said:
Hitetsu said:

Well, I don't really have any "weekend" job, other than WAR. I flick between my BLM and WHM a lot, and BRD for almost any NM I go to. I intend on using SAM as my "main DD job" when it's levelled 70+.

I already have a full Damage- set for BLM WHM and BRD, and I've noticed such a difference in survivability. I'm looking for gear I can hotswap onto NIN aswell with as few changes as possible.

I'm levelling Bonecraft atm, so I'll probably try to sign a +1 or two.

Arhat's and Jelly will be your only crossover gear as far as a Phy Dam set.
Askar,gavil are Sam only and I guess you could cross over Darksteel on the hands but I'd use denali for that.

If Sam is going to be your main DD and you have the inventory space, it will earn it's value several times over in the long run.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-06-15 15:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

-Physical%: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=32516

And also,

-Magic%: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=40982

Some may argue weither or not full-turtle is worth going for in a physical reduction set: After messin' around with the "hybrid" for nearly two years... let's just say, I instantly fell in love with the full-turtle.

No word of a lie, it has saved my behind countless times thus far, and I've only had it going for about two-ish months now.

Edited, because I apparently screwed up royally on the links, woohoo.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-15 15:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I love my defense setup and I find most other sams come to love theirs as create them. I have two basic sets, one for actual tanking and one for the times third eye is down, the latter of which is used most often, but they're pretty similar. In general I'd say +1 Arhat's head/body and Jelly ring are your only main-stays for any set, unless magic damage is involved, while everything else is optional or just extra depending on your setup.

As a rule I leave Byakko's, Usu feet, and rajas ring alone since the set is already hacking away at your damage, and dropping your 6-hit or something amazing like haidate just doesn't seem to outweigh the benefits from the pieces available. Magic, again, is the exception in most cases because it's usually a single-hit you can swap for and the numbers are generally so high that every percentage gained makes a difference. Also, for something like kiting you can throw most ***out the window since you aren't doing much anyways.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-06-15 15:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
As a rule I leave Byakko's, Usu feet, and rajas ring alone since the set is already hacking away at your damage, and dropping your 6-hit or something amazing like haidate just doesn't seem to outweigh the benefits from the pieces available. Magic, again, is the exception in most cases because it's usually a single-hit you can swap for and the numbers are generally so high that every percentage gained makes a difference. Also, for something like kiting you can throw most ***out the window since you aren't doing much anyways.

Even with H.Sune-ate six-hit (11 sTP, just enough during the standard TP phase to hold it), being hit even once results in enough TP to hold your six-hit if you drop the sTP on your physical reduction.

I didn't realize it at first, but honestly, I pretty much never lose my six-hit ever, under any circumstance. Byakko's Haidate on the other hand... the way I view it as: You're not making much use of that 10.50 ACC and 5% Haste if you're dead!
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-15 15:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Ironguy, I see you have ritter in your phy build for the HP, what do you think about a parrying torq there?
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-06-15 15:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Parrying... as much as I love seeing it go off... I highly doubt you'd notice anything from that thing; Ritter for the cure bomb placebo HP, and free DEF/Evasion; delicious piece indeed.

Also:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6047/ffxi20090607224557.png

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1171/ffxi20090525160752.png

I'd post the couple of times where I reduced Lightning Spear to 300~ too, but for some reason, I never bothered to take pictures of it... strange. Perhaps I'll go out of my way to eat spears tomorrow then. -_-
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-15 15:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Short answer = Not really.

Longer answer = If you are serious about Parrying skillups, you may very well want to consider a -Dmg % setup. Otherwise, it's probably not worth the investment unless you also would use some of the stuff for NIN or you just have loads of gil and inventory space.

I had one for a while, and I actually did use it to tank on SAM/WAR in a pinch when someone got dropped in Sky and we were short tanks, but I have since sold a good deal of my -DMG gear for SAM.

While still using a Great Katana:

Head - Arhat's Jinpachi +1
Body - Arhat's Gi +1
Legs - Hydra/Gavial
Feet - Askar > Hydra/Gavial
Ring - Jelly Ring (Defending Ring if you have it, but let's be real)

While just going for straight Parrying skillups, SAM/DNC:

Weapon: Earth/Terra Staff

Best I had at any one time was just over -40% reduction with Staff, or 20-25% reduction with Great Katana.

My own experiences:

I tried the -Damage % approach to parrying skillup, and I found that on most things, I could do just as well (and make more EXP and Seals, netting just as many skillups) by going with an AGI heavy setup and using Drain Samba to make up for the difference in damage.

For reference, in my old -Dmg % set, Thickets Colibri (Parry skill 195-225) would hit for about 30-40 damage per hit. I could easily keep ahead of this with Curing Waltz II and TP from getting hit and Meditate.

However, I had just as easy a time going at them full bore with Hasso up using a Soboro, and killed 3 times as many birds.

If you're skilling Parry, I'd suggest a few key items...

Kirin's Osode
Seiryu's Kote
Myochin Haidate +1 (Love these!!!)
Askar Gambieras, Fume Sune-Ate, Gaviel/Hydra
Drone Earrings
AGI Rings if you happen to have them.
Boxer's Mantle
Parrying Torque
Parrying Earring

This is pretty much what I skillup Parry in now. I can solo Tough Phuabo in sea with little trouble, as well as soloing T Pucks in Den of Rancor, so I'm not worried about being able to cap out with this gear set. Currently at 203 skill, and I make a conscious effort to do at least 1-2 skill a week, whether through farming (DC Demons!) or targeted skillup mobs like Colibri and Black Mandies (Korrigan > Puck).
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-15 16:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ironguy said:
Even with H.Sune-ate six-hit (11 sTP, just enough during the standard TP phase to hold it), being hit even once results in enough TP to hold your six-hit if you drop the sTP on your physical reduction.

I didn't realize it at first, but honestly, I pretty much never lose my six-hit ever, under any circumstance. Byakko's Haidate on the other hand... the way I view it as: You're not making much use of that 10.50 ACC and 5% Haste if you're dead!
Good point! I generally hate depending on things needing to happen as opposed to making for certain the gear takes care of everything, but in this case it seems very sensical. lol