Voidwatch for a beginner
 Phoenix.Valefar
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: bbane
By Phoenix.Valefar 2012-10-09 09:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, I've yet to do a real VW match, so I'm curious of a few things:

1. How high of a tier monster can I fight and get drops from in an alliance-party once the NM's defeated? (to clarify: can I fight Akvan without having done any tier progression yet, or is it really strict, etc)

2. What do I essentially need to participate in VW? (KI wise mainly, and anything else that helps)

3. Which jobs are most needed? I have Blu/Smn/Thf/Nin as more decent-ish than my other jobs in terms of gear
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-09 10:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The only fights you can't do without clears is the provenance ones.

What you NEED to do VW is just voidstones (You don't even need that, but you don't get drops without them).

With the job selection of BLU\SMN\THF\NIN you should have no trouble getting into VW groups.

Until you have some clears that get you temp items and the possibility to use atmacites, you're fairly useless though.
BLU and SMN works ok without temps (nin too, kinda, but proccing katana really sucks), but without fanatic\fool drinks you're basicly doomed as soon as you go close to an enemy, so it can be a real pain to proc some spells on BLU.
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2012-10-09 10:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What Kvazz said & If you go BLU take some medicines until you have temps because some mages are not Silena friendly.
 Phoenix.Valefar
Server: Phoenix
user: bbane
By Phoenix.Valefar 2012-10-09 10:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Which ones are the provenance ones? I was told before I couldn't go on a jueno run because I didn't do the first few tiers of Jeuno, or that I needed the first 3 city clears to do jeuno
 Shiva.Pheare
Server: Shiva
user: pheared
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-10-09 10:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Provenance is Provenance Watcher(and the 3 prereq ones). They'll be shouting specifically for Provenance Watcher for that. You can do any Jeuno one without anything else completed.

The main draw of completing it though is the temp items that are almost a necessity, and the teleports to get there quickly(and convenient for just traveling).

BLU is probably one of the most needed jobs. You can find all the VW procs at http://bit.ly/voidwatch
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-10-09 10:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The ones in the Prov. zone, basicly you can't join Provenance Watcher shouts, but everything else is fine.
You won't have teleport to them though, so running might take awhile and annoy people to some of them!
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2012-10-09 10:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Clear out the god damned box ASAP
[+]
By Alpheus 2012-10-09 10:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Another point but try to keep an eye out for any shouts that deal w/ +1 stone carrying capacity and the like (for example stand alone temp item KI shouts*) if you have to continue to make do w/o VW path climbs (due to lack of full on climb shouts or what have you) as this will enable you to benefit from the various "VWNMx6 farm" shouts and an all around better performance from you.

KI wise in addition to what was stated make sure you purchase all the hint KIs** from the VW officer. There are KIs to enable the hints: 1 for WS/JA Periapt of Guidance and 1 for magic Periapt of Percipience (so a total of two) and then there are other KIs that grant specificity to those hints; they are Periapt of Sapience and Periapt of Clarity.

And lastly only the 3 cities + Jeuno unlock Provenance. The Zilart ToAU and CoP VW fights are their own self contained progression paths, although completing them open up very useful teleports.

*The fights in question for Temp KIs (should you feel so bold as to start some standalone shouts yourself) are Sandoria VW T1 in East Ronfaure(past or present they both drop the same one), Bastok VW T2 Gusgen Mines and Zilart T1 (any one of the following three fights) West Altepa Desert, Quicksand Caves, Kuftal Tunnel + (1 of the following 3 fights) Yutungha Jungle, Temple of the Uggeleiph or Ifrit's Cauldron. Your goal for these fights is to get 100% white lights (% of white lights in any fight correlates to the % chance of a KI to drop from the VWNM should they have any to drop)

**Ignore the KIs that are priced at 300k cruor those are for Provenance fights and simply put you don't need to worry about them until you've progressed to Jeuno Tier 6 w/ full quest completion/credit.

Helpful Links:
Utilize this page when you get down to business and start climbing VW as this will stipulate requirements to proceed w/ the Questline

Overview of VW as a whole