90 Keitono vs 85 Masa
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Cythriell
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-12 11:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've been working on my Masamune, and it's going fast enough that I'm going to leave Keitono at 90.

I will have my 85 Masa today or tomorrow, and I'm wondering which would be better during my linkshells endgame events. I haven't participated much in VW yet, most of what I've done is Limbus/Dynamis/Einherjar/Empy farming.

With this in mind, which should perform better; 90 Keitono or 85 Masa?

Thanks
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-12 11:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

99 tp bonus

sadly masa got owned by tp bonus -- mine is 90 and ill never gear sam again since im not making another weapon
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-08-12 12:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends where you are going to leave your masa. Leaving it at 85 would make it inferior to a 99 TP bonus.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-12 12:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

pretty sure unless its 95 or 99 it will be inferior
 Shiva.Pheare
user: pheared
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-08-12 12:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I may be wrong, but in VW I think Masa would win because aftermath and how quickly you get TP and using wings?

But besides that the TP bonus will win.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2012-08-12 12:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28303/kantonotachi-vs-masamune-the-great-debate/

If I remember correctly, TP bonus 99 beats Masamune 85 with both using Shoha, but Masamune 90 and higher beats it.
 Phoenix.Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-12 21:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Using phone atm.

It seems everyone is responding as if I asked 99 TP bonus vs 85 masamune. I didn't ask about 99 TP bonus.

So: is *90* TP bonus better than *85* masamune?

Not that it is important to answering my question but since someone asked; yes I am taking my masa past 85.

Thanks
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2012-08-12 22:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I'd just make Masa, the difference between the two aren't that great. Someone with 85-99Masa can out perform someone with 99 TP Bonus GK and vice versa. One may beat the other on paper, but it's hardly going to matter when actually playing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Darkria
Server: Ragnarok
user: Darkria
By Ragnarok.Darkria 2012-08-12 22:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly go for the 90 masa, Isgebind isnt over camped anymore and is so easy to kill. Fudo is better than shoha depending on the lvl and such of the mob you are fighting (IE neo nyzul fudo beats shoha) Atm Ive had the 90 tp bonus, and currently have 90 masa. I also have 80 Amano and working on trials to bring that up as well. 90 Masa atm out beats them all. That STR on it cannot be ignored. As far as your exact question goes, tp bonus beats 85 Masa. Once again tho I suggest to get 90 Masa if you are serious about sam ^^
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-08-12 22:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the events you do, I would lean more toward a Draca Couse than any GK listed so far.

As for a pure GK choice, Masamune would be the answer, more versatile thanks to Fudo.
 Odin.Hirokei
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2012-08-12 22:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Given the events you do, I would lean more toward a Draca Couse than any GK listed so far.

As for a pure GK choice, Masamune would be the answer, more versatile thanks to Fudo.
Unless you have 3 other ws's merited.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-08-12 22:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously, but then SAM loses a lot of its appeal and utility, damage wise, especially in the events listed.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-08-12 23:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

use masa if you have the gear for it
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-12 23:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

if he wont bother to make 99 tp bonus he prolly wont bother to make 90 masa as its slightly more difficult but still retardedly easy

not sure how anyone could play a job and not bother to finish something thats almost done
 Shiva.Keyera
user: Keyera
By Shiva.Keyera 2012-08-13 00:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

OT: Dropped my Keito90 once i got my Masa to 85, haven't looked back since.

Masa90 beats Kanto, so it's a safe bet that Masa85 beats Keito.

If you have room for Stardiver, given the events you participate in, save up and buy a Draca Couse. I toyed with it for a while and enjoyed it's performance a lot in the events you mentioned, but Hume F looks HORRIBLE with a Polearm...

At any rate, stick with Masa. It's laughably easy to get to 90(even if you dont have current plans, it's something to think about) and much better looking than Keito/Kanto IMO.
 Bahamut.Kyrael
Server: Bahamut
user: Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-08-13 02:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How easy is isegbind to get hearts from. I went for a solo kill a good goood while ago (lvl 90 ish) and got to watch it nuke my Dipper straight to hell.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-08-13 02:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how difficult it would be for a solo BST but it can easily be duoed as DD + WHM or probably DD + healer in general.

I did a few as THF + WHM and it wasn't anything special.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-08-13 02:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairly sure BST can solo it now, but duo it's a joke for sure.
Just flail tank it :P
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-13 03:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it as mnk and whm duo at 90 with WoE h2h and no BB so its prolly a joke now
 Bahamut.Kyrael
Server: Bahamut
user: Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-08-13 03:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll have to give it a try again last time it just ate my pet with nukes and I couldn't get all the stuns off be nice to be able to solo the hearts I need
 Phoenix.Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-13 04:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »
if he wont bother to make 99 tp bonus he prolly wont bother to make 90 masa as its slightly more difficult but still retardedly easy

not sure how anyone could play a job and not bother to finish something thats almost done

Because I got Cara trial done in about 1-2 days, Cirein done in about 2 days.

Why would I spend my time getting TP Bonus to 99 if I'd replace it within a week with 90 Masa?
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-13 04:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're burning 50 items in 1-2 days clearly you're spending all day in Abyssea. So why even make this thread? Not to mention it's been debated in like 100 other threads. Masa > TP bonus.
 Phoenix.Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-13 04:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Coz I'll be spending less time in Abyssea. plus, the time I do spend in Abyssea will be spent helping someone farm Sobek.

I've read the threads comparing TP Bonus to Masa, they're mostly comparing 99 TP Bonus, which isn't what I'm using, but thanks for reminding me.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-13 05:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

masa 85 will beat 90 tp bonus MOSTLY the main question is if you are using shoha or not i guess

if you use Shoha then masa will win nearly everytime but if not

then tp bonus should beat masamune on high defense targets where it would be fudo vs YGK

Ig Alima and the sort come to mind where YGK should beat fudo nearly everytime
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-13 05:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's because of the ODD that masa wins, Kantanotachi wins in the weapon skill department.. though.. for some reason we're comparing the 90 version, which goes without saying is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-13 05:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally have Masa 90 and gave up on SAM after seeing some 99 TP bonus GKs outparse -- now i never actually SAW the parses but saw a few threads saying TP Bonus wins -- But i was almost finished with Vere 90 at the time so i just stopped changing to SAM after maining it for like 5 years

Im thinking about dusting it off but yea not sure :/
 Phoenix.Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-13 06:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »
I personally have Masa 90 and gave up on SAM after seeing some 99 TP bonus GKs outparse -- now i never actually SAW the parses but saw a few threads saying TP Bonus wins -- But i was almost finished with Vere 90 at the time so i just stopped changing to SAM after maining it for like 5 years

Im thinking about dusting it off but yea not sure :/

That sucks :/ But I don't think knowing a 99 TP Bonus SAM outparsed a 90 Masa SAM means much. Tons of Hagun SAMs outparsed Amano SAMs on non-HNM mobs when the cap was 75, but Amano was still the better weapon.

How do you find Vere? If I ever get the resources to do a 2nd Empy/Relic, I'd want to do it for MNK, but I'm on the fence about Vere or Spharai.

edit: looks like people consider the Masa to be better in the situations I'll be using it, guess that settles it. thanks
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-08-13 06:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know. The last time I got outparsed, I simply tried to understand why.

Now to work on closing the gap, but changing job is far from the solution (unless you obviously change from a trashly geared job to something decent).

SAM, unlike MNK, needs more than just one weapon to be efficient. Masamune isn't the answer to everything, people need to understand this.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-08-13 06:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to make the point clearer I think he means what is the best for the time being, however considering how fast you're going I wouldn't bother wasting time on tp bonus. Finish Masa and just use that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Cythriell
By Phoenix.Cythriell 2012-08-13 06:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I don't know. The last time I got outparsed, I simply tried to understand why.

Now to work on closing the gap, but changing job is far from the solution (unless you obviously change from a trashly geared job to something decent).

SAM, unlike MNK, needs more than just one weapon to be efficient. Masamune isn't the answer to everything, people need to understand this.

At 75 Cap I used Tomoe as much as I used Hagun. I heard from some in game that polearm isn't as viable any more?

edit: @Seha, that's the plan. Get 90 Masa > finish getting AH gear > start on MNK / begin getting heavy plates.
First Page 2