Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Building a WHM PUP
Building a WHM PUP
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-07-29 14:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so new to PUP, want to know what frame is the best for just having the pup cure my ***, and what attachments are best for this aswell

I got some of it down, soulsoother head or something, refresh attachment/ecomizer but yeah, any advise appreciated
 Bismarck.Reyke
Server: Bismarck
user: reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-30 12:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Im fairly new to pup myself but have leveled 1-70 outside of abyssea this guide will tell you all you need to know. http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Puppet_Master_Solo_guide

Of course you want damage gauge so it will know to cure you in the first place, also the pup AF1 pants give cure potency and the vivi-valve attachment gives cure potency when under light maneuvers as well.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 12:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Stormwaker frame, Soulsoother head. Damage gauge, Power cooler, Mana converter, Mana conserver, Mana booster, Heatsink and Eraser are the most important attachments for healer puppet that come to mind.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-07-30 12:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Reyke said: »
Im fairly new to pup myself but have leveled 1-70 outside of abyssea this guide will tell you all you need to know. http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Puppet_Master_Solo_guide

Of course you want damage gauge so it will know to cure you in the first place, also the pup AF1 pants give cure potency and the vivi-valve attachment gives cure potency when under light maneuvers as well.

I always found it troublesome to change to AF pants for cure potency. :/ But here's a tip to skill up magic fast.

Go to Beadeaux with the WHM frame, and stand just in range of the machine which inflicts Curse on you. Have a Light Maneuver up and target one of the quadavs. The automaton will spam cursna on ya. (this is assuming it knows Cursna, which is magic skill level 90. Also, don't have flashbulb equipped.)
[+]
 Bismarck.Reyke
Server: Bismarck
user: reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-30 12:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

isn't there an attachment that makes it so your soul soother wont spaz out as in only casting the highest cure when a cure 3 would suffice?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 13:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what the Damage gauge is supposed to do.
Btw I find af pants and Vivi-Valve overkill pretty much everytime which is why I didn't mention.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-07-30 13:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

In all honesty in terms of survivability, I find that the Soulsoother head is not the best in any way while soloing.

I highly suggest using the Rdm head and body. It casts Phalanx as well as a potent stoneskin on you. And it goes ahead and debuffs the mobs as well as hastes you.

The only real situation I see the Soulsoother head winning out is if you have a great understanding of the behaviors of it in a party setting.

With the Rdm head path I suggest using Damage gauge, Flashbulb, Mana tank II, and Mana converter are the big ones that make it work really well. I also use power cooler a lot, it helps a whole lot with mp management.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 13:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Soulsoother casts buffs too.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-07-30 13:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a way to make the rdm frame less nuke happy? I would use it more if you could.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-07-30 13:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing that Soulsoother really has on the rdm head is that it is capable of casting regen, which 99% of the time you won't need it, has cure 6, which is completely overkill, and has access to -na spells. Everything else the Rdm head has too.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 13:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can only count on Damage gauge and constant maneuvers.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 13:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bleublood said: »
The only thing that Soulsoother really has on the rdm head is that it is capable of casting regen, which 99% of the time you won't need it, has cure 6, which is completely overkill, and has access to -na spells. Everything else the Rdm head has too.
That's a huge bonus to me.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-07-30 13:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Is there a way to make the rdm frame less nuke happy? I would use it more if you could.

It's all about the maneuvers you use, like with me, I constantly have a light and 2 darks up at a time usually. Mainly because I like to blind the enemy as well as flashbulb it to decrease the necessity for cures. And when I'm all buffed up and in good standings with mp and hp between me and the Automaton, I pop an Ice maneuver and it usually triggers a nuke immediatly.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-07-30 13:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Ragnarok.Bleublood said: »
That's a huge bonus to me.

I don't really know when you would really want those over the ability for you Automaton to nuke, which really boosts your overall DPS between you and your pet. But then again, if I know I need -na spells, I'll just go /dnc instead of /war so I can maximize my DPS.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-30 13:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasting tp on waltzes slows your dps over spamming ws. I'd rather keep my /war and use whm puppet.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-07-30 13:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How is 25%tp > a 1600 nuke from your pet?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-30 13:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Berserk, double attack, more str, etc?
 Asura.Jadecc
Server: Asura
user: jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2012-07-30 14:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I pup/thf with rdm automaton, the phalanx is a godsend, and as long as you dont ABSOLUTELY NEED -na spells, rdm frame beats whm frame easily. I dont mind that it nukes when i dont need curing, with stoneskin and phalanx there are plenty of times i wont need curing and some extra damage is very welcome. Unless a mob hits incredibly hard (half or close to half of my hp in 1 hit) i have no problem soloing just about anything as pup/thf with rdm automaton.

just to note pup/anything works just as well, i like the extra dex from thf for shijin, alongside a ventriloquiy->sneak attack WS combo :) (i did just as well pup/blm(accident) before and pup/nothing in dynamis (didn't white proc tho D:))

i use damage guage, optic fiber, loudspeaker 2, power cooler, mana booster, mana tank2, mana conserver, mana converter, armor plate 2, and other misc stuff, usually melee enhancing like coiler stabilizer 2 tention spring.. afterall i love stealing my automaton's tp - also i dont need/use vivi valve or af pants, cure 4 is fine alone

in conclusion rdm auto
[+]
By Solrain 2012-07-30 15:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we talking strictly Dynamis here? PUP/THF is pretty horrible otherwise.
 Fenrir.Zijder
Server: Fenrir
user: Zijder
By Fenrir.Zijder 2012-07-31 01:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Bismarck.Reyke said: »

I always found it troublesome to change to AF pants for cure potency. :/ But here's a tip to skill up magic fast.

Go to Beadeaux with the WHM frame, and stand just in range of the machine which inflicts Curse on you. Have a Light Maneuver up and target one of the quadavs. The automaton will spam cursna on ya. (this is assuming it knows Cursna, which is magic skill level 90. Also, don't have flashbulb equipped.)

The Beadeaux trick doesn't work as well now that there are separate timers for -na, cures, enfeebles, etc. But sense the puppets can use Protect and Shell, you can manually turn off the buffs and force your automaton to recast them.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-07-31 01:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

-Na spells are great, but also the whm turban casts erase natively and that alone is just the bee's knees. It makes it so you don't have to pray you're not on cooldown of eraser piece, as well as the fact that the whm does debuff as well. Phalanx and SS are great and all, but when you're super tanking quite a few mobs (like I did in dynamis to fund my Amano), those big C6's help a ton. And yes I use vivi-valve, because it makes 1 C6 basically full cure me from any point in my hp. If you're rdm turban is casting a T4 nuke it might take him a minute to get back to healing you. If role reversal is on cooldown or you didn't merit it, or you didn't merit ventriloquy, you're going to die.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-31 02:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nukes and heals don't share recast anymore, puppets can now cast different spells back to back.
[+]