Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » LF complete pup guide
LF complete pup guide
 Bismarck.Reyke
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-16 00:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So in my spare time I have been leveling up pup solo or in parties but the guide I have been following only goes to level 20 and I hit 31 now. Does anyone know of something better I don't want to burn this job so please don't say just burn it in aby.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-07-16 00:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Here you go!

Have fun soloing PUP. I enjoy my pup very much. :)
 Shiva.Dawezy
Server: Shiva
user: Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2012-07-16 00:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Follow the Fields/Grounds of Valor areas, I solo'd most my level 1~60 back in the 75 days doing just that, managed to pick up parties more regularly after the AF rolled in. Good learning curb.

Basic info on the wiki ^_^
 Bismarck.Reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-16 05:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the help everyone ^_^ Quick question when using attachments if it has 3 ice or 2 wind ect. Is that how many maneuvers I have to use to activate it or just 1 maneuver of that element?
 Shiva.Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2012-07-16 22:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nadda.

That is just to show you how much room it'll take up in your Automatons loadout. Like we have our equipment, Automaton has a limit on the types of attachments they can slot in.

Example;
Valoredge head/frame has 7 Fire.
You could put in Tension Spring 1 (2 Fire) Tension Spring 2 (3 Fire) Strobe (1 Fire) Flame Holder (1 Fire). And there is your 7 Fire used up, can't put anymore in.

Using the Fire Maneuver just augments the attachments, makes them more effective for the duration of the Maneuver. Bare in mind you will Overload if you go crazy on using the same Maneuver over and over, you can generally use 2 in a row, but if you do the *same* one again you will Overload thus temporarily giving your Automaton unable to recieve Manuvers, Slow +50% and Movement Speed -50% until it wears off. The duration of this can be between a few seconds to over a minute.

Its very annoying >_< Overload.
 Cerberus.Kiori
Server: Cerberus
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2012-07-16 22:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dawezy said: »
Nadda.

That is just to show you how much room it'll take up in your Automatons loadout. Like we have our equipment, Automaton has a limit on the types of attachments they can slot in.

Example;
Valoredge head/frame has 7 Fire.
You could put in Tension Spring 1 (2 Fire) Tension Spring 2 (3 Fire) Strobe (1 Fire) Flame Holder (1 Fire). And there is your 7 Fire used up, can't put anymore in.

Using the Fire Maneuver just augments the attachments, makes them more effective for the duration of the Maneuver. Bare in mind you will Overload if you go crazy on using the same Maneuver over and over, you can generally use 2 in a row, but if you do the *same* one again you will Overload thus temporarily giving your Automaton unable to recieve Manuvers, Slow +50% and Movement Speed -50% until it wears off. The duration of this can be between a few seconds to over a minute.

Its very annoying >_< Overload.
oh goodness yes i hate overloading...it's not so bad at the higher levels...

once you play pup also you get a feel for the limits...I don't know how to explain it...but you just "know" when you're about to overload...
[+]
 Shiva.Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2012-07-17 00:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Invest in a Buffoon's Collar (+1 provides no difference towards Burden), you could squeeze that extra maneuver in if you wait about 20 seconds or so. Its been AGES since I've Overloaded on a regular basis with the full Cirque +2 gear on, plus the Auto tends to out-damage me a-lot the time so he doesn't need instructions most occasions.

Once you get AF it'll cruise along nicely if you use Maneuvers in moderation.

Try macro it in though, I'm the lazy sort I got barely any macros ^^;
[+]
 Bismarck.Reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-18 01:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah that's good to know. Also right now I am trying to skill up my ranged but OMG it has such a long delay between shots I was told the drum magazine was good for reducing the delay but is there anything else I can do?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-07-18 02:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That's all you can do. The turbo charger (haste attachment) only affects melee attacks.
By Xenshi 2012-07-18 03:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Reyke said: »
Ah that's good to know. Also right now I am trying to skill up my ranged but OMG it has such a long delay between shots I was told the drum magazine was good for reducing the delay but is there anything else I can do?
Drum Magazine, Barrage Turbine, Scope and Percolator on the right level of mob got me from like 15-330 in two afternoons, putting up 3 wind. Got the bulk of it on its Barrage since it can get a skill up per arrow.
 Sylph.Yajirobe
Server: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Yajirobe 2012-07-18 04:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, if you're not already aware, you can skill up the automaton as a different main job up to sublevel (49 if pup is 49), so you can go as a high level job and hold hate while he pewpews for skill
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-07-18 06:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh seems much has been forgotten since level 75 days. The amount of burden you get per manny is based on automaton stats vs the masters. The higher your stat is compared to the automatons for that element the less burden you produce. At 75 with my int set on i could do 3 spells back to back with 3 ice mannys up then i would have to.switch to 2 ice and 1 water for a bit. Obviously in abyssea cruor buffs make your stats high enough so you only produce a small amount of burden. Its worth looking into making a str agi and int build for yourself.
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-07-18 13:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Invest in a Buffoon's Collar (+1 provides no difference towards Burden), you could squeeze that extra maneuver in if you wait about 20 seconds or so. Its been AGES since I've Overloaded on a regular basis with the full Cirque +2 gear on, plus the Auto tends to out-damage me a-lot the time so he doesn't need instructions most occasions.

Once you get AF it'll cruise along nicely if you use Maneuvers in moderation.

Try macro it in though, I'm the lazy sort I got barely any macros ^^;
/slap. Macro in afv1 hands buffoon collar and +2 body for maneuvers. Simple as that. Your pup should not be outdamaging you. I spam maneuvers by just macroing those 3 in and RARELY overload. Don't fulltime full +2... use 26% haste.
[+]
 Shiva.Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2012-07-18 23:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

;_; why u slap, that was mean.

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ==== ┻━━┻

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify then, since I 99'd my Ursa Majors (Occ. att. 2-4 times) I been happily bashing ***up, but with onry the +2 DMG on it hit for hit Herzog tends to put out better numbers on alot of encounters. Even more-so with Armor Shatterer.

Also as mentioned few posts back, lazy. :D
 Siren.Vanian
Server: Siren
By Siren.Vanian 2012-07-19 05:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

And that is why the oax weapons are shite. Buy some brawny agdaras while you work on vere or str magian
 Shiva.Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2012-07-20 10:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel I must apologize to our Reyke friend, I drove the topic in a different direction.

Will assist as I can if you need any further info, or many others may pop in also - we're all on the same team.

(σ・∀・)σ
 Bismarck.Reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-22 15:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel I must apologize to our Reyke friend, I drove the topic in a different direction.

Will assist as I can if you need any further info, or many others may pop in also - we're all on the same team.

(σ・∀・)σ
^_^ Its fine I think im getting the hang of pup is there anything that I must know or just stupid thing not to do in general with pup or maybe horror stories with bad parties you guys wanna share?
 Asura.Jadecc
Server: Asura
user: jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2012-07-22 15:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

in your deactivate macro put /ja deactivate <stpc> so you hav to click it twice and also add an /echo <pethpp> in that macro so you can be reminded of your pet's hp before deactivatig, very helpful in cas ur pets hp is at 99% instea dof 100%
[+]
 Bismarck.Reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-07-24 21:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Where are some good party camps? I only no of gusgen and crawlers nest.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2012-07-24 21:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Where to skill up post 330+? Even with percolator, it takes forever in abyssea mobs.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-07-24 22:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I maxed out melee skill on Glen Crabs in Abyssea Grauberg. Regen atma x2 and a +acc atma (forget which). Didn't really bother with water maneuvers, just set auto on autoattack and did something else for 5 minutes. Takes a while but that's just the nature of skilling up at that level.