Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » PUP WS and Weapon @ 99
PUP WS and Weapon @ 99
 Sylph.Juromaru
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Juromaru
By Sylph.Juromaru 2012-02-15 21:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Long time lurker here. I searched the topics here on and off for a few days but I didn't find much info about weapon choice for Lv. 99. Here's my situation: I've always enjoyed PUP,I was psyched about Victory Smite when it came out but I didn't have the resources back then to make a Vere, so I made the Rev. Fists. I was happy with them for most things up to when the 95 cap came out. I don't think it's a good decision to drop 10 mil into making it +3 at this point, so I was wondering, with Shijin Spiral being decent, would you guys recommend Vere, when I will never take it past 90? I've kept an eye out for new H2H that might replace my Rev. Fists, and there are a few out there that look nice, but I can't decide if they are worth losing Victory Smite.

tl;dr Version: Should I replace Rev. Fists +2 with anything other than Vere? (KKK is not a possibility for me lol)
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-02-15 22:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Level 90 Verethragna is your best option.
 Leviathan.Dragonlord
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dragonlord 2012-02-15 22:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people won't bother with taking emps past 90 stage. They're a solid weapon due to the strong WS and aftermath, even without the few extra dmg/str that the 95/99 stages give.

I currently use str/atk path h2h wep (+2 ver, working on getting 40 geodes). Both shijin and stringing pummel are also solid WSs. I'd say there's no point to upgrading your revenant fists because a str/atk h2h wep and SP/SS should outdo VS on revs anyways. VS and SP are extremely similar WS. And SS is more consistent(doesn't rely on crits) + gives plague effect

If you're debating doing Vere, just do it. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed simply because aftermath's dmg increase is very nice.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-02-15 22:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Juromaru said: »
(KKK is not a possibility for me lol)

black adargas?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-16 07:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If you go on the weekends at night, a lot of JP spam walk of echoes. Could maybe get your +3 items like that. But honestly, best weapon choices for PUP, in order, are

Kenkonken
Vere (90+)
Rev Fists (90~99(don't recall new name for it)
Magian STR/ATK+ h2h
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-02-16 19:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

With PUP, it's less about the weapon skill and more the weapon (which you prolly know having access to VS already). I've also been considering Vereth for my Rev.Fist PUP, but I have other mains I toggle between.
Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
But honestly, best weapon choices for PUP, in order, are

Kenkonken
Vere (90+)
Rev Fists (90~99(don't recall new name for it)
Magian STR/ATK+ h2h

I agree with this list, but I think I would put Magian above or at least tied with Rev.Fists. A Lv99 Magian weapon is going to optimize Pummel and Shijin as much as you can besides using a finished WoE/Emp weapon (which would be using VS anyhow). So yeah, just by the list, if Kenkonken is out, treat yourself to a Verethragna. I feel like WoE weapons are just placeholders for Emps with people serious about their jobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Juromaru
Server: Sylph
user: Juromaru
By Sylph.Juromaru 2012-02-16 21:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, thanks for all the good responses! This pretty much settles it, our little group is doing an Ukon next so I really have no excuse not to work on Chloris pops at the same time.
Yes, I also have other mains and priorities, but this is what I needed to make up my mind that it was worth it. I don't really have as much fun on any other job, so thanks again for the little push, lol.