Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » A Puppet Master's Dream
A Puppet Master's Dream
 Bahamut.Nipun
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Nipun 2012-01-23 16:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey there,

Before reading on this isn't really a complaint just more of an ideal thought and how I think SE hasn't really pushed their creativity with Puppet Master. Most of you would agree or not but knowing what you think about the situation is equal across the board.

So, I've spoken to people here and there about Pup and their thoughts are some what the same. "Pup's are already powerful" I'm 50/50 on that. This is my problem.

When it comes to Empyrean Weapon we got the sort end of the stick. I took it as a hand me down from a Mnk that has retired from fighting wars. Here we have PLD with Empyrean sword and shield, Cor with his gun and Bard with his instrument. Pup gets stuck with Verethragna but not a Animator trial or Empyrean version. Better yet, if they were all into "Empyrean Weapons" why not an Empyrean Automaton? I'm sure you get to wondering what job type but that's when you need to be creative. Kenkonken Would be ideal but lets face it. By the time you build the time and gil to get one is FFxi still going to be around?

On the gear set note SE treats us as mages and ties us down to only using our AF/RELIC/EMP gear. BST gets more useful gear than what Pup can hope for. We got Burattinaios but you already know what happened to that. Anything that over powers SAMs is a big no no.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-01-23 16:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The job is better than it was at 75, and still gets updates. You're not supposed to be better than any other job and remember its about master and pet. Optimize yourself and your pet and the numbers add up.
 Bahamut.Nipun
By Bahamut.Nipun 2012-01-23 16:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, true in that sense. I just feel that SE didn't really put too much thought into it when it came to the empyrean aspect. I know its about you and your pet working together. I wouldn't change that for nothing. To me Pup is a more advance job to Bst.
 Carbuncle.Crollion
Server: Carbuncle
user: Crolion
By Carbuncle.Crollion 2012-01-23 16:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't there a new automaton thing in vw?
 Cerberus.Sevvy
Server: Cerberus
user: Sevvy
By Cerberus.Sevvy 2012-01-23 16:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, if anyone is going to complain about emps should be BLM/SCH/SMN. They are the ones that got shafted.
[+]
 Bahamut.Heia
user: Heia
By Bahamut.Heia 2012-01-23 16:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Crollion said: »

Yet that may be true but it Sucks, dex+6 all it gives, the +1 is better by far with hp mp boost and +4 dex
 Bahamut.Heia
user: Heia
By Bahamut.Heia 2012-01-23 17:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sevvy said: »
Eh, if anyone is going to complain about emps should be BLM/SCH/SMN. They are the ones that got shafted.

shafted? well first pup dont even got a relic, and 2nd i dont know to many smn/sch/smn that uses there weapon in a fighting way that much,I myshelf am trying to build a Mythic but at this rate im not sure when im going finish. and why we got to share a emp with mnk.... pups and mnk have only the h2h part incommon we should of got something for atlease be more usefull to use.
 Bahamut.Nipun
By Bahamut.Nipun 2012-01-23 17:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes the Deluxe Animator which is crap. Gives only Dex 6 to the master and nothing for the pet. Animator +1 has DEX +4, Automaton HP 40-60, and Automaton MP 0-60. And by the way, that is just one item for pup >_> how many VWNMs are they?

Oh man Sevvy LOL I completely forgot about that (>_>) so damn true. Another example of SE being creative. It's funny too because Pup's weapon is really the Automaton (>_>)

I didn't mean relic weapon, I meant relic armor.
 Fenrir.Dibble
Server: Fenrir
user: Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2012-01-24 13:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it does suck a bit that there is not a PUP specific Empy weapon because I think the Vera are fugly BUT the Empy weapons aren't job specific anyway. An extension of this argument would be the RDM BLU and PLD should all have a different Empy sword.

Having said that, the buffs that PUP recieves from the Mythic weapon are just extraordinary. I am envious of the few that have it and incredulous that a few describe it as a waste of time and money.

I would start a mythic weapon in a heartbeat if I was less lazy.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-01-24 13:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The only things I don't like about PUP in voidwatch is that

1) I never get to go it. >:|

2) Valoredge frame has two weapon skills which are Thunder Maneuver prompted. String Clipper and String Shredder. So you can never get String Clipper if you have high enough melee skill to use String Shredder. :/
 Lakshmi.Bromber
Server: Lakshmi
user: bromber
By Lakshmi.Bromber 2012-01-24 13:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Veret is pretty good on PUP, you won't bust out the MNK numbers but with an automaton you can come pretty close.

Yes we got shafted bigtime with the new animator.

I would like an animator that can increase the number of attachments we can put on our automaton or increase the total elements per frame. That would be a big help for blm auto.
 Cerberus.Sevvy
user: Sevvy
By Cerberus.Sevvy 2012-01-24 13:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Heia said: »
shafted? well first pup dont even got a relic, and 2nd i dont know to many smn/sch/smn that uses there weapon in a fighting way that much,I myshelf am trying to build a Mythic but at this rate im not sure when im going finish. and why we got to share a emp with mnk.... pups and mnk have only the h2h part incommon we should of got something for atlease be more usefull to use.

Let me ask you this: Why would BLU PUP COR DNC or SCH have any type of relic? First off they were not jobs when any incarnation of Dynamis was out. Secondly they weren't involved with the Dynamis story line at all. S-E made an exception and allowed AF2 and AF-2 to drop within the zones but that was a stretch as well. Should be happy that you guys at least got a mythic, and I know they are much harder to attain but thats the point; they are supposed to be hard to get.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-01-24 13:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jonadriel of Bismarck just finished 75Kenkonken last night.
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-01-25 03:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I don't understand why PUP is still listed on new mage gear. But it's also listed on a lot of light melee equipment. Gear is not a problem. I'm not sure what an emp animator or a... whole *** automaton (or a head/frame only?) would even do. But insofar as being creative... they patched the mage AI. Remember? PUPs legitimately complained about that for years. Had we had that AI back at the job's release, I think PUP would have come into play a lot more often.

This a million times. You want to *** about PUPs sharing an empyrean with MNK... This is like BST complaining about Farsha having warrior on it. Farsha doesn't help the pet whatsoever. Just like Verethragna. Rhongomiant doesn't help the wyvern whatsoever. But the best example, Hvergelmir, which SMN can equip doesn't help avatars. Unlike PUP/BST/DRG, SMN is completely about the pet. So I would qualify that as practically not having an empyrean at all.

Mythic weapons were made for every job, so they were extremely customized. But empyreans were made for every item on the weapon class list (plus shield). Verethragna is an incredible empyrean weapon. Be happy you aren't a mage. Or you could be thankful you aren't a PLD that needs to obtain a minimum of two out of it's three empyreans and then needs to still shoehorn itself into events.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-01-25 04:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Animators are so fail. Should give us a trait that lets us use maneuvers without them so we can actually equip something useful in that slot.

Let me ask you this: Why would BLU PUP COR DNC or SCH have any type of relic? First off they were not jobs when any incarnation of Dynamis was out. Secondly they weren't involved with the Dynamis story line at all. S-E made an exception and allowed AF2 and AF-2 to drop within the zones but that was a stretch as well. Should be happy that you guys at least got a mythic, and I know they are much harder to attain but thats the point; they are supposed to be hard to get.
Because all jobs should have the same amount of options when it comes to end-gear. SE likes balance so much, then all jobs should have three choices.
And it's perfectly fine to have them in Dynamis. Anyone who's played WotG knows the Great War was full of dancers, scholars and a couple of blue mages. Zonpa-Zippa and his children could also be considered the first puppemasters to appear in the western continent(though different). Equipment drops, so can a weapon then, if you've already done "the stretch" it just makes sense to give it the full thing.
I swear some people in this game are just jealous of their gear.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-01-25 04:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Heia said: »
Carbuncle.Crollion said: »

Yet that may be true but it Sucks, dex+6 all it gives, the +1 is better by far with hp mp boost and +4 dex

All this talk about Animator +1 being better is complete nonsense. Yes the Deluxe is better. Why? Cuz in most situations (like VW, which is current content) the auto dies far too quickly for that hp to even matter on the +1. Secondly, deactivate nuking means your max mp or hp doesn't even matter, as long as hp is full the auto's max could be 5 hp... Thirdly, what? Seriously? How is 2 more dex for the master (which helps with both Shijin Spiral and crit rate for pummel), worse? And all this talk of a "unique" empy for pup? Come on guys... lol. This is why we can't have nice things. Y'all complain about the silly stuff lol. The AI reworking was a wonderful update, and very much needed. We got that, we should be happy. Not complaining about the most inconsequential non-sense like a unique empy lol.
 Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo
Server: Ragnarok
user: shimey
By Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo 2012-01-26 12:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If your automaton dies too fast in VW then you are doing it wrong.

But then this game isnt about VW, so yea.. for most the stuff you will do as pup the +1 is actually better then the Deluxe.

Yes the deluxe has the extra dex which is good for SP and SS but seriously other then that i'll take the extra automaton hp/mp anyday of the week.
 Bahamut.Nipun
By Bahamut.Nipun 2012-01-27 18:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Eikechi: Once again, I'm not complaining. I am just sharing a thought. Yes I know they fixed the AI to our Automaton. But outside of that I never really had any problems for that fact I know how to use my pet. And agreed, if your Automaton dies that fast in VW I don't know what to tell you.

@ Sehachan: Agreed on the animator thing. But then Bst will complain about their jugs needed to be equip to be used.

@ Sanders: See if Pup had a decent MP pool then okay I guess we can play a little with support role to double up on whm frame. But we don't have that. And I do agree on the whole emp weapons. I am a Blue Mage as well for its one of my main jobs and for me I love that I was able to customize my concordia. I do feel that each job should of had their own emp weapon to match their job.

@ Ruizutatakau: Nice! Wish I had the gil to do the same.

@ Mizuharu: PLD frame has more ws than that. Depends on the element you are doing. Skilling that frame is very easy unlike the range frame.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-01-27 18:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

A Puppet Masters Dream...

[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-01-27 18:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nipun said: »
@ Mizuharu: PLD frame has more ws than that. Depends on the element you are doing. Skilling that frame is very easy unlike the range frame.

Nooooooooooooooo, really?!?!

I meant that all of the Valoredge WSs are procs. Meaning if String Clipper ends up being the stagger, you're boned because Thunder Maneuver will promote use of String Shredder since it's the higher weapon skill.
By Zelduh 2012-01-31 00:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kenkonken being pretty much the best mythic weapon (when most are somewhat crappy) and barnone the best weapon for PUP makes up for Verethragna feeling like a very MNKy weapon. Get Vere and slowly work on KKK if you can. And PUP is still on mage gear because SE basically has a stock list of armor types and PUP is on a lot of the mage type because PUP was originally designed to be a necromancer with a pet like SMN with MP, but changed at the last minute so they didn't update the tables to the kind of gear PUP is defaulted on, even after all these years.
 Cerberus.Ustav
user: Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-01-31 01:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Animators are so fail. Should give us a trait that lets us use maneuvers without them so we can actually equip something useful in that slot.

Because all jobs should have the same amount of options when it comes to end-gear. SE likes balance so much, then all jobs should have three choices.
And it's perfectly fine to have them in Dynamis. Anyone who's played WotG knows the Great War was full of dancers, scholars and a couple of blue mages. Zonpa-Zippa and his children could also be considered the first puppemasters to appear in the western continent(though different). Equipment drops, so can a weapon then, if you've already done "the stretch" it just makes sense to give it the full thing.
I swear some people in this game are just jealous of their gear.
You took the words right out of my mouth
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-01-31 01:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The only auto I have that has lasted more than 2m in VW is melee frame. You are reduced to using nothing but Deus Ex, basically since your auto is desummoned on start, which is rather lame. Also, you can't exactly put fanatic's on your pet. I don't have the schurzen but I doubt it will proc that often. Something like Pil WSs like every 25s lol.
By Zelduh 2012-02-05 09:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Equip the Schurzen, and keep 1 earth maneuver up. It'll guarantee your sharpshot puppet lives
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-05 09:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Zelduh said: »
Kenkonken being pretty much the best mythic weapon
Ryunohige.
Let's not be silly now.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-05 09:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Zelduh said: »
Kenkonken being pretty much the best mythic weapon
Ryunohige.
Let's not be silly now.

God Tier (not in any type of order)
Ryunohige
Kenkonken
Nirvana
Secondary tier
Vajra
Burtgang
Tizona

Those are the best of the mythics imo. Save for the occ 2-3 times on Ryunohige ("All jumps are crits" doesn't really matter with Spirit/Soul Jump's 100% Crit rate with Wyvern present...), it doesn't have too much going for it. But the 2-3 is sooooo godly. Get 300% Drakesbane, then spam Drakes(Abyssea) or swap to Stardiver(VW).

Kenkonken is a massive suppression on Overload (takes ~15 maneuvers to Overload(was at 75 cap when this was found out; not sure if with new Empy body+2 if you can perform more)) and a Martial Arts -45 delay effect (which I've seen people say does not reduce TP gained like normal Martial Arts+ gear.) And Pummel was already hot since 75 cap.

So I'd consider Kenkonken the best mythic of them in terms of what it does for the job. Ryunohige is just for TP spam; it's basically the best upgrade from Trial of the Magian's DMG+/Occ atk twice polearm. Still, it allows DRG to pump out high damage quickly so I'd say it's the best DD mythic. But, again, the "all Jumps are crit" is useless when you have wyvern out.
 Cerberus.Kiori
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2012-02-05 11:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In a way, i wish they would allow us the ability to "tune up" our autos and be able to add to the base sets of elemental attachments.

Example: possibly raise how many "dark" attachments we could put onto the Soulsoother, or more "Light" onto the Valoredge (just examples).

I think it would be kinda cool to agument the autos themselves since the body/head directly goes along with the amount of the "elements" you can stack into the frame.

personally, Kenkonken would be still be the best bet for any PUP, it will take a while, and with the new Aht Urgan renewal updates, Alexzandtire will be easier to obtain, so we'll have to see from there.