"BLM frame can't out nuke a real BLM"
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

While it's true that a BLM doesn't have a ~20sec delay between EACH spell casted, thus they are free to chain spells back to back (automaton frame can't stagger(iirc)), it doesn't necessarily mean that they "out nuke" a BLM frame. A proper geared PUP can actually outnuke a BLM, inside or out. And yet, there's so many people that say otherwise. My linkshell does VWNMs and we have enough people there for staggering, so I'd like to go PUP for hate-free nuking/support(as /rdm or /sch), but no luck. The only times a BLM would out nuke a BLM frame is Empy armor set proc. But, still...

- The automaton can be deactivated every minute, reseting MP pool to 100% and clearing all enmity. It also resets spell casting timers to full.
- BLMs can reset enmity every 10 minutes. Or every time they die.

- A weakened Puppetmaster can still nuke using the BLM frame since "double weakness" does not apply to the automaton.
- A weakened BLM can nuke still, but with a limited MP pool. And should they die again, they're completely useless.

- While the BLM frame is providing damage, a PUP/(RDM or SCH) can be tossing Cures. Granted this is limited to Cure III, PUP does have access to most mage gear to help with this problem.
- Modern day BLMs always sub RDM anyway, limiting them to Cure III as well.

This is back during the 90 cap. Thunder V with Atma of the Lion/Ultimate/Beyond does 5800~.

If anyone else has anything to say, please go ahead. And I'm not saying that a BLM frame is more "flexible" for situations that call for stagger. I'm just saying it seems to be a safer, higher damage output than a BLM nuking would be.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-09-30 13:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 lolpup
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how you are nuking higher than a BLM, my blm does that on Bliz5 and I don't even have Blizzaja yet. You also forget how many proc's BLM has and the fact that they have stun which makes them infinitely more useful than a PUP. Also they can stun double weak as well.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if the deal was best dmg, if we are talking about voidwatch, most BLMs should have the abyssite thing that gives fanatics drink. This means they can nuke their hearts out for 1m, assuming no dangerous magic spells, and cycle thru a list of spells for dmg including bliz5, thunder5, comet and ja spells. If they proc again, they can do it once more.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
I don't see how you are nuking higher than a BLM, my blm does that on Bliz5 and I don't even have Blizzaja yet. You also forget how many proc's BLM has and the fact that they have stun which makes them infinitely more useful than a PUP. Also they can stun double weak as well.

Yes, it's true for the stun part, and I did say BLM is overall better because of the staggering. But, could you maybe post a screenshot of said damage?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I don't have a screenshot. With Blizzaja now, the gap is even further from PUP.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-09-30 13:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

/inb4 lolpup

Pups are creepy and wierd and nobody likes us. Just get used to it.
We can't proc and our stoopid puppet just gets in the way most of the time, like derpy wyverns and summoners that leave diablos all the time.
It's ANNOYING!!!

To recap, Nobody likes us, we smell funny, Pup is a SOLO job, Get used to it.

Thank you,
Everyone
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I don't have a screenshot. With Blizzaja now, the gap is even further from PUP.

In abyssea maybe thanks to Blizzaja. I'm perfectly capable of out nuking a BLM on most anything outside of abyssea.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-09-30 13:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

/Beaten like a red headed stepchild on the inb4

damn you fast typers
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »

In abyssea maybe thanks to Blizzaja. I'm perfectly capable of out nuking a BLM on most anything outside of abyssea.

No idea where you are going with this, even if you nuked for ~400 more dmg than your average blm, you are far far less useful.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-09-30 13:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you talk about a single cast, yes maybe a good geared pup can beat a blm. But for overall dmg the puppet loses terribly since it has its limits. Gap which is supposed to be filled when the master fights too, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, BLM is more useful because of staggering/stunning. All I said in the OP was the automaton hits harder and easier to clear hate. So, instead of having a PUP with a MAB and BLM frame skill up go something else for damage, people could consider the automaton as another, possibly better, choice for damage.

EDIT - and that it's damage isn't limited to weakness.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-09-30 13:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

6560 on a buffalo is average, not ceiling, and considering how squishy they are to magic, thats a very poor example. And thats all I am going to say, this is a pointless argument, BLM is the top nuking job, WHM is the top healing job, SE has gone out of their way to solidify this.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-09-30 13:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, you should cut back your weed intake at least a quater ounce.
 Bismarck.Selka
Server: Bismarck
user: Selka
By Bismarck.Selka 2011-09-30 13:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, BLM is more useful because of staggering/stunning.
and sleeping
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, BLM is more useful because of staggering/stunning. All I said in the OP was the automaton hits harder and easier to clear hate. So, instead of having a PUP with a MAB and BLM frame skill up go something else for damage, people could consider the automaton as another, possibly better, choice for damage.

EDIT - and that it's damage isn't limited to weakness.

Except showing us a screenshot of your nuke on an exp fodder mob doesn't really show that PUP is a better choice for damage. PUP will not beat out BLM for damage in Voidwatch.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
6560 on a buffalo is average, not ceiling, and considering how squishy they are to magic, thats a very poor example. And thats all I am going to say, this is a pointless argument, BLM is the top nuking job, WHM is the top healing job, SE has gone out of their way to solidify this.

In terms of being able to nuke the most times during any given fight.

BLM > BLM frame

In terms of damage per cast

BLM < BLM Frame.

What mob would you like me to test on? A WOE mob? An NM?

Except showing us a screenshot of your nuke on an exp fodder mob doesn't really show that PUP is a better choice for damage. PUP will not beat out BLM for damage in Voidwatch.

Very well, I shall do my best to get to a VWNM on PUP.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-09-30 13:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Something with high Int that is actually capable of resisting at a good rate. How does a blm frame cope with that?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You are missing the point, it doesn't matter if you are doing ~400 more dmg than a blm per nuke. You aren't as useful as one and if dmg was a top priority they have access to temp items that allows them to blow your dmg away by cycling nukes. Even if a blm is double weak (drain still works if anything) they can stun and proc lol, which gives the entire group a huge boost via temp items each time. Also BLM/DRG is an option.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Something with high Int that is actually capable of resisting at a good rate. How does a blm frame cope with that?

BLM frame copes with most NMs quite well actually. They don't get resisted all that much thanks to attachments/gear. As with any properly geared BLM out there.
 Bismarck.Gael
Server: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2011-09-30 13:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, the only situation where a blm outdmg a pup on a nuke is when the blm have an af proc or a critical magic.

This morning, i nuked some buffalo for someone who wanted to compare the dmg from new spells (see the topic in blm forum), and for the abyssea part :

Quote:
Merits :
- INT 8/8
- 8/8 elemental magic skill
- 5/5 Lightning Magic Potency
- 5/5 Ice Magic Potency

Water day, no weather.
No set bonus, no critical magic.
Capped elemental skill.

(...)

(target = Bluffalo, Decent challenge lev 95) :
- Blizzard 5 = 5978 dmg
- Blizzaja = 6607 dmg (with a single target)
- Thunder 5 = 5059 dmg
- Comet = 5257 dmg (first time), 5520 dmg (second time)

Atmas : Ultimate, Baying Moon and Beyond

(i usually take MM instead of BM but i didnt care about MP, the result is kinda the same anyway)

And of course i have a well geared blm : http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/43563
(i guess i only need the yagudo hat and the new int +4 grip to have -my- dream gear)

------------------

Yes 6k+ is average on abyssea mobs (outside af proc/critical magic), not on buffalo.

And yes, outside abyssea my pup outdd my blm on a same nuke, the blm who says something different is a liar.

But of course, there is no way that a pup outparse a (good) blm, and i dont understand why the initial author did this topic, since spike dmg means nothing and because blm and pup are 2 differents jobs which have a very different role
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-09-30 13:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Inside aby? why would you even need to compare? melee pup >>>> blm in terms of dmg, this is all pretty dumb subject to even bring up
 Sylph.Venlo
Server: Sylph
user: Venlo
By Sylph.Venlo 2011-09-30 13:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You are missing the point, it doesn't matter if you are doing ~400 more dmg than a blm per nuke. You aren't as useful as one and if dmg was a top priority they have access to temp items that allows them to blow your dmg away by cycling nukes.

/thread
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-09-30 13:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is probably one of the few arguments in FFXI where utility is going to win out over pure damage (even if the puppet can nuke harder)
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 13:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Gael said: »
To be honest, the only situation where a blm outdmg a pup on a nuke is when the blm have an af proc or a critical magic.

This morning, i nuked some buffalo for someone who wanted to compare the dmg from new spells (see the topic in blm forum), and for the abyssea part :

Quote:
Merits :
- INT 8/8
- 5/5 Ice Magic Potency

Water day, no weather.
Capped elemental skill.

(...)

- Blizzard 5 = 5978 dmg
- Thunder 5 = 5059 dmg

(i usually take MM instead of BM but i didnt care about MP, the result is kinda the same anyway)

(i guess i only need the yagudo hat and the new int +4 grip to have -my- dream gear)

------------------

Yes 6k+ is average on abyssea mobs (outside af proc/critical magic), not on buffalo.

And yes, outside abyssea my pup outdd my blm on a same nuke, the blm who says something different is a liar.

But of course, there is no way that a pup outparse a (good) blm, and i dont understand why the initial author did this topic, since spike dmg means nothing and because blm and pup are 2 differents jobs which have a very different role

Did it in hopes some people might consider PUP as another source of damage for VWNM rather than a solo job, as most pups now a days have accepted themselves to be.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-30 13:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Gael said: »

Quote:
Merits :
- INT 8/8
- 5/5 Ice Magic Potency

Water day, no weather.
Capped elemental skill.

(...)

- Blizzard 5 = 5978 dmg
- Thunder 5 = 5059 dmg

------------------

If PUP can buff up with the manuevers to increase dmg to show for a epeen SS then so can BLM with ascetics drink lol.

Edit: Misread atma.
Server: Siren
user: beesknees
By Siren.Screamingbabies 2011-09-30 13:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

A proper geared PUP can actually outnuke a BLM, inside or out.

You're already caving in. Get out of here
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-30 13:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

BLMs dmg output isn't in their individual spells, it usually doesn't stack up very well when compared spell by spell to a SCH or even as you note, a (lol)PUP frame. However BLM can do its own kind of "Zerg" where is spams all their high level spells (Tier5, aja, aga3, am2) and does quite a bit of damage. Not to mention the procs...

That coupled with Manawall, Emnity Douse and if necessary Manafront is what makes a BLM a fierce competitor. It's essentially Epeen vs DOT. You're pup can't really even come close.

[+]
By ncspade 2011-09-30 13:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just leave this here xD.

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/61051
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10