SAM gear at Lvl. 90
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Atlas
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Atlas
By Phoenix.Atlas 2011-09-15 07:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all. I started leveling Samurai back in 2009, feeling a change was needed as the only party options for me as a Black Mage were manaburns, due to the fact that tp burn parties were becoming the norm and their opposite, manaburn parties, were growing old for me.

So, I ask this of you. I am now level 90. I plan to get the best gear I can for this job I've come to love, but I'd like some advice on gear I could grab for my SAM until I can get some of the more higher end Rare/Ex gear. It's currently Level 90 and I feel repulsed wearing the Perle set.

Help me out, please!
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 07:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you plan on getting a Masamune soon, or don't care to participate in most of the game's current content, play some other job for now. YGK-SAM is an unplayable job in current content.

R/EX stuff you'll need: Masamune, AF3+2, Zelus Tiara, Atheling Mantle, Bullwhip Belt, Masamune, Ace's Mufflers, Ace's Leggings, Masamune
 Cerberus.Soluna
Server: Cerberus
user: GE4
By Cerberus.Soluna 2011-09-15 07:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dodu said: »
R/EX stuff you'll need: Masamune, AF3+2, Zelus Tiara, Atheling Mantle, Bullwhip Belt, Masamune, Ace's Mufflers, Ace's Leggings, Masamune
But that's just until the next update when those will be outdated.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 07:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Soluna said: »
But that's just until the next update until they're all outdated.

The only AF3 that has a chance of becoming outdated is body(head is already fairly worthless). Atheling Mantle, Bullwhip Belt, Ace's Mufflers, and Ace's Leggings may or may not be replaced, but it also takes about an hour total to acquire the lot.

And regardless of whether or not Masamune is on top, its always going to be one of the few weapons that makes SAM a playable job.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-15 07:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Uptempo said: »
I can't wait to see how 95 Amano does v 95 Massa really hoping the Amano edges into the lead.

Forget edging. I hope 95 Amano blows it the hell out of the water and catches up to Ukonvasara. (read: not bloody likely.)

I will settle for Amano edging out Masamune.

*innocent whistle*
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2011-09-15 07:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ace's Mufflers
STR+7 Enhances "Zanshin" effect Haste+4% Store TP-4 Respect-10
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 07:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They're disrespectfully the best TP hands for a Masamune owner.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kerokun
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Kerokun 2011-09-15 07:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of 8-hit build are you arguing for?
[+]
 Phoenix.Atlas
By Phoenix.Atlas 2011-09-15 08:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is SAM currently useless? I came back to FFXI last month, so..fill me in please?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-09-15 08:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Atlas said: »
Why is SAM currently useless? I came back to FFXI last month, so..fill me in please?
Your YGK SAM has no crit weaponskill, that being said it's currently useless in abyssea
Your YGK SAM is using YGK, so the damage is far too low to even consider it for content outside abyssea when you can just as easily hop on war/sam OH GOD and get it all done thrice as fast. Amano sam has potential due to the increased accuracy through the weapon itself in voidwatch, and kaiten comes close iirc to fudo on most voidwatch content, if not only just a little bit behind.

So yeah
Got masamune? Yes? We might can squeeze you in for voidwatch if you're 15 minutes late to an event or something.
Got amano? Should be fine, come on out on sam.
No to both of the above? {Job Change.}
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 08:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kerokun said: »
What kind of 8-hit build are you arguing for?

6-hit, 3-hit with a Zanshin proc.

Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-15 08:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done sam/rng in a few voidwatch as well to help cover more procs. The acc isn't great (need to use sushi and you'll still miss ws'es sometimes) but it can be useful if you have other things covered. Your gear has to be pretty stellar, though.

Quote:
Just curious is it best to aim for 5 or 6 hit build with amano ?

I'm currently using this six-hit:

Which is capped haste, 3% weapon delay reduction and six-hit.

It is not optimized. And I'm really not positive in the long run if it works out better than stacking all the store TP and using a five-hit. I am regretfully not on samurai enough anymore to have worked it out clearly and I hate fishing through BG for info. Those threads get way too long for anyone who wants to get anything else done to read.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 08:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

6-hit and 5-hit are virtually indiscernible, which 6-hit leaving a significant amount of breathing room for additional accuracy.

Edit: Derp, you have an Amano. That's different.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-15 08:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM is only undesirable inside Abyssea because it isn't as good for proc's as the norm nin/war/mnk etc. The fact it doesn't have a crit WS isn't the main point (although it is a factor). Just look at drg/pup etc, they have excellent critical weapon skills but are overlooked for the reason above.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 08:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

lolwat

People use MNK for plenty of things other than blue procs. Its defensively perfect, and has beastly output. PUP is overlooked because its a trash job with or without a good WS. DRG is a powerhouse, but has dickall to gain from being smacked around, at which point something with Counterstance or Retaliation becomes preferable.

SAM is undesirable because it serves no function in Abyssea, not because its overlooked.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-09-15 08:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dirtyfinger said: »
SAM is only undesirable inside Abyssea because it isn't as good for proc's as the norm nin/war/mnk etc. The fact it doesn't have a crit WS isn't the main point (although it is a factor). Just look at drg/pup etc, they have excellent critical weapon skills but are overlooked for the reason above.
Good point
But even if they had the same procs that warrior had
(wait for it)
I'd take the warrior because it has the Critical hit weaponskill that will utterly destroy your Non-crit weaponskill

SAM not having procs just reiterates its uselessness
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-09-15 08:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Atlas said: »
Its not entirely useless. However, other jobs provide more utility and damage over sam, namely warrior and ninja, aswell as monk in the damage department and blue triggers while the former 2 provide red triggers and damage. While sam does bring a good amount of red trigger weapons to the table, none of them are unique enough that war or nin cant cover.(red triggers = Key item drops, blue trigger = equip/acc drops)

As far as damage goes, sam is one of the best/strongest jobs outside of abyssea, however inside it suffers from not having a crit-ws. With atmas(power boosts to your character) like RR and SS which enhance your critical % by 30 and critical damage by 30% and the other atma giving and additional 30% to crit damage you start to fall behind the crit-ws jobs like war and monk, probably even nin and drg aswell. I say probably because masa-sam is only roughly 11% behind a decked out vere monk(ya its not even that big as ppl make it out to be, more so with something as defensive as dragua maybe) However most things youll be fighting/farming youll probably be back tanking it anyhow(out the window goes overwelm) so your damage really drops.

Gekko will pull through for you on high defensive mobs like its always done for sam in the past, however it wont match a buffed up fudo in the right situations, and at the end of it, it gets blown away with masamunes damage/aftermath output. Not to meantion that the other ws jobs are already ahead of fudo damage aswell(fudo is masamune's ws like kaiten is to Amano)

Go with whatever you enjoy, too many people over calculate a lot of numbers that never make it to reality most times(however the 2 jobs I meantioned before hand are still going to outdamage you if the player is anything worthy), but be ready to have a job(or be on a job) that can offer your group/friends something, like ninja atleast.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-15 08:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

<insert arbitrary numbers here>

My WHM is a better DD than my SAM.
[+]
 Phoenix.Atlas
By Phoenix.Atlas 2011-09-15 08:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, cool, thanks for explaining that to me. Like I said, new to Abyssea content and the class viability in various groups we may find ourselves in with such new content, so glad that's been worked out.
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-09-15 08:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

<insert arbitrary numbers here> My WHM is a better DD than my SAM.
Ive had my doubts about that one, it could be possible, but again theres a lot of factors to consider, if anything, youll be relying on kclub to carry you basically. Again other factors to consider are we going for raw power? damage/survivability? damage/utility/survivability? etc etc the later favoring whm even more.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-09-15 08:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lolwat

People use MNK for plenty of things other than blue procs. Its defensively perfect, and has beastly output. PUP is overlooked because its a trash job with or without a good WS. DRG is a powerhouse, but has dickall to gain from being smacked around, at which point something with Counterstance or Retaliation becomes preferable.

SAM is undesirable because it serves no function in Abyssea, not because its overlooked.

Thankyou for stating the obvious, I didn't realise I had to go into complete detail about why those said jobs are superior.. I just thought it was well obvious!

Maybe I'll write things in complete detail next time and in crayon if preferable.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-15 09:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
too many people over calculate a lot of numbers that never make it to reality most times

This is what bothers me the most when I make gear sets. I shoot for "ideal" x-hits and the like, but despite what anyone says, I always end up getting hit with something, getting a regain tic, or some other form of TP input that invalidates it, leaves me with overflow and arbitrarily useful extra TP, depending on job/ws.

People say, “Hey, you can’t count on that! You’re not guaranteed to get hit!” And I see where they’re coming from. They’ve very informed players who do more actual number crunching than I do. But I’m no slouch player myself and I can tell you - I won’t say never, because I’m not going to blow smoke up your *** and tell you it doesn’t happen from time to time – but I very, very rarely end up sitting at 97-99 TP waiting on the next swing.

I have actually stopped using "ideal" x-hit setups. They're not actually "ideal" for me anymore, unless I can hit them without sacrificing a ton of other boosts (Tactical Mantle is the primary offender here.) I cap haste, I get as close as I can to an ideal x-hit within reason and then I fill in with damage-boosting stats.

Right now, as pertains to samurai, I’m debating putting MP merits in to power an Oneiros Ring, but I’m hesitant because that will make my Uggalepih Pendant a pain in the *** to trigger on corsair, and I actually use corsair a lot more than samurai for ls events anymore, especially Voidwatch.
[+]
 Shiva.Ithorien
Server: Shiva
user: ithorien
By Shiva.Ithorien 2011-09-15 09:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

6-hit and 5-hit are virtually indiscernible, which 6-hit leaving a significant amount of breathing room for additional accuracy.

Edit: Derp, you have an Amano. That's different.

If you use the same WS damage and the same hit average in both builds, a 5hit 22% haste will return higher DoT than 6hit 25/6% haste. You just have to make sure you dump TP asap, and that doesn't work everywhere.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-15 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe, with Amano aftermath figured in, this is going to be a fairly close to effective five-hit. If You want to not count on aftermath, you could go w/ tactical mantle. My math could be off here, I forget the rounding rules on TP.

This is, I believe, 20.79 (which iirc is 20.8 rounded) tp per swing. This also figures in my weaponskill gear which hits for 17.x TP.

If my math is completely off, I appologize for misleading people and being a general idiot. Game math has never been my strong point.
By Zeyphr 2011-09-15 10:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I believe, with Amano aftermath figured in, this is going to be a fairly close to effective five-hit. If You want to not count on aftermath, you could go w/ tactical mantle. My math could be off here, I forget the rounding rules on TP.

This is, I believe, 20.79 (which iirc is 20.8 rounded) tp per swing. This also figures in my weaponskill gear which hits for 17.x TP.

If my math is completely off, I appologize for misleading people and being a general idiot. Game math has never been my strong point.

You could replace the feet with Usu feet, your well over the haste cap.. Tiara, gloves and legs are 19% already. Heck replace the belt with goading and usu for feet thats an extra 7 STP and your still capped on haste
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-09-15 10:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

26% is the cap... That's what he is at.
By Zeyphr 2011-09-15 10:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Oops mis read haidate lol, im not one to use ace's feet tho, i just dont like them but thats me.
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2011-09-15 10:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you not like Aces Feet? They are like perfect for Sam.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6