PUP Playstyle For Pet Static?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » PUP playstyle for pet static?
PUP playstyle for pet static?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2011-08-07 10:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This might be a stupid question, but puppet masters are pretty damn rare in groups on my server. We play in a pet static for Abyssea just for the fun of it, currently SMN (me) BST BST, but one of our BSTs wants to go PUP instead. She's been leveling with the Stormwaker frame primarily, and I'm wondering if that is an effective contributor to a pet group... I would assume that BST jug pets will out-tank automatons, so I would think that one of the ranged pets would contribute better?
 Sylph.Yajirobe
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Yajirobe 2011-08-07 10:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If the magic frame is capped, you could get the PUP to use her magic frame (activate, maneuver, deploy, retrieve, as he casts Deactivate) for hateless nukes, and if you dont want the master to melee for any reason, she could sub whm/rdm/sch and help heal/support the group in any way.
with the amount of mage gear we get + cruor buffs/atmas, I can get about 600-800 MP with a mage sub/atmas/cruor buffs, around 300-450 outside abyssea

Edit:
She could play around with ranged frame if it's got a decent skill level/she has barrage turbine.
i havent played much with it since my ranged frame is kinda gimped, but I was pulling off 1.7-2k dmg with 3 wind maneuvers up on random mobs outside abyssea, around 700-900 with 1 on EP weapons (apocalyptic/Infernal) in ro'maeve

Also, is your static an ls/what time do you go/what kind of things do you do? :p xD
By Ska681 2011-08-07 11:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

With you set-up i would say no.
reason recast time on a full puppet, and the fact that even the melee puppet suffer from the low amount of HP campaired to a BST pet.
if you pick up another bst then you should be fine.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-07 11:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If its just for fun let her come as what she wants? Otherwise the whole thing is inefficient because a pet group won't get items as fast as a standard setup.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Dobbykk
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dobbykk
By Lakshmi.Dobbykk 2011-08-07 11:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Deux with soulsoother head on, have it cure itself to full >> Deactivate > Reactivate > New puppet.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-07 11:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me know when a BST pet hits that hard. I'll be <Over there>.

Also, about that recast timer comment. They gave us Deus ex Automata months ago. 1min recast, calls Automaton at 25% HP/MP. Use Repair/temp items to get it to full, deactivate. Resets the 20min Activate timer and you'll have full MP again.
[+]
 Siren.Gunshy
Server: Siren
user: Siryn
By Siren.Gunshy 2011-08-07 11:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah with Deus activate recast is rarely a problem now there are plenty of ways to have your automaton get back to full hp after using it.

Stormwaker frame can add value to alot of fights as already said it gives your party a blm that wont die from hate ideally though her magic skill should be fairly high.

The pld automaton wont compare to a bst pet for tanking but with the right atmas he can fight alongside them no problem without taking too much aoe damage this can be a viable automaton to use imo if the master is planning on fighting alongside as they will get some decent use of the atmas too
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-07 11:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, in case you didn't know OP, the automaton also can detect what a monster is weak to in the sense that it's going to cast the nuke it thinks will land for the most/be unresisted. This can be done without scanner, but scanner increases the likelihood of it being recognized sooner (Although on Bukhis my Lobo always casts Fire V even without scanner attached.)
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-07 12:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd chose Spiritsreaver, the blm is the strongest of them all and if you're careful it can nuke endlessly without hate. And being a pet group I agree with the /mage suggestion(I'd say sch which should be the most efficient).
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2011-08-07 20:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
If its just for fun let her come as what she wants? Otherwise the whole thing is inefficient because a pet group won't get items as fast as a standard setup.

Ya, we understand that. It's true of any solo or duo though, you just don't have the procs that you would get in a group. It's just a fun thing.
Sylph.Yajirobe said:
If the magic frame is capped, you could get the PUP to use her magic frame (activate, maneuver, deploy, retrieve, as he casts Deactivate) for hateless nukes, and if you dont want the master to melee for any reason, she could sub whm/rdm/sch and help heal/support the group in any way.
with the amount of mage gear we get + cruor buffs/atmas, I can get about 600-800 MP with a mage sub/atmas/cruor buffs, around 300-450 outside abyssea

Edit:
She could play around with ranged frame if it's got a decent skill level/she has barrage turbine.
i havent played much with it since my ranged frame is kinda gimped, but I was pulling off 1.7-2k dmg with 3 wind maneuvers up on random mobs outside abyssea, around 700-900 with 1 on EP weapons (apocalyptic/Infernal) in ro'maeve

Also, is your static an ls/what time do you go/what kind of things do you do? :p xD

You can send me a message if you want to know more :)

It's just casual fun stuff.
 Bismarck.Selka
Server: Bismarck
user: Selka
By Bismarck.Selka 2011-08-08 10:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, the ranged puppet can put out some impressive numbers. With the right atmas, Barrage Turbine, Burats, and Tactical Switch, and Deus Ex, the puppet can perform. Just make sure they have high skills (both ranged and melee).
 Sylph.Yajirobe
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Yajirobe 2011-08-08 10:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selka said:
Yes, the ranged puppet can put out some impressive numbers. With the right atmas, Barrage Turbine, Burats, and Tactical Switch, and Deus Ex, the puppet can perform. Just make sure they have high skills (both ranged and melee).

I'm in the middle of skilling up my ranged frame, 291 skill atm ; ; so havent really had much of a chance at playing with it.
It used to be my most used frame and was the first to be capped at 75 too! XD
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [250 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2012-04-14 12:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Yajirobe said: »

Edit:

Siren.Gunshy said: »
Yeah with Deus activate recast is rarely a problem now there are plenty of ways to have your automaton get back to full hp after using it.

Stormwaker frame can add value to alot of fights as already said it gives your party a blm that wont die from hate ideally though her magic skill should be fairly high.

The pld automaton wont compare to a bst pet for tanking but with the right atmas he can fight alongside them no problem without taking too much aoe damage this can be a viable automaton to use imo if the master is planning on fighting alongside as they will get some decent use of the atmas too

To bump an old topic:

We're just a duo now, and I went BST as of like 2 weeks ago. While I'm still working on my PDT axes and +2 Empy armor, we have started actually using her on PUP and me on BST to down things. I think the way to go is having her use melee auto on things that she can actually hit, because her melee damage is very significant and they can share atma. Her puppetmaster is a very competent tank when she pulls off of my jug pet, so it works nicely.

On stuff that dishes out a lot of AoE damage unfortunately the melee pet suffers from low HP. To trigger Ducal Guard, Valoredge's HP even with Atma of the Sanguine Scythe is still on the low side. So now we're going to work on her black mage puppet. I think that should be effective- bust out a nice nuke, and then deactivate for hate-less damage.

I find this duo fun to play. I don't think having a PUP along means that BST can kill anything that it already can't down, but the increase in kill speed while having the safety of another pet job is nice.