Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Soboro Vs. Quint Spear for Namas Arrow SAM
Soboro Vs. Quint Spear for Namas Arrow SAM
 Sylph.Aleaucent
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Aleaucent
By Sylph.Aleaucent 2011-08-03 13:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I am currently working on my Yoichi that was primarily for my RNG. After reading about the Yoichi's potential with SAM, I have started lvling and gearing SAM. It seems as if soboro is the way to go with this build, but i haven't seen anything that has introduced the possibility of using the quint spear. Does anyone think there is an advantage to one over the other?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-03 14:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

2-4 hit Trial of magian GK would beat both if you insist on doing this type of build.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-03 14:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Aleaucent said:
sbarro superhero in 2011

[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-03 14:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

now i want pizza T.T
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-03 14:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

you're a pizza

eat yourself

RIGHT NOW
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-08-03 14:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you arn't face a mob that has high enough eva for pole to have much lower acc than gkt.. quint spear will blow both soboro and magian gkt out of the water.
[+]
 Sylph.Aleaucent
By Sylph.Aleaucent 2011-08-03 14:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing based on accuracy difference between weapon ratings?
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-08-03 16:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quint Spear will let you use Namas more than either will, but I believe 2-4 Magian GKT will net the most overall DoT? Don't take my word for it though. All I know is Quint Spear gives some insane WS spam.
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-04 16:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Quint Spear will let you use Namas more than either will, but I believe 2-4 Magian GKT will net the most overall DoT? Don't take my word for it though. All I know is Quint Spear gives some insane WS spam.

It would depend what you're fighting. If you're fighting a high def mob, yeah right, then the magian gkat would do better. If you're fighting a low def mob then the spear would do better. It also depends if you're fighting a slashing or piercing resistant mob. The proc rate on the magian multi hit weapons is not as high as their counterparts. for instance ridill procs more than khanda because the magians have a higher proc rate on the chance of hitting once.

I'd say go for the polearm and work on getting a multi hit gkat. Or just get a masamune it'd prob take less time than doing the 2-4. If you have a Blu friend who can charge whisker a bunch of mobs you could potentially finish the 2-4 in very little time tho I finished my friends thunder staff in under 5 hours.
 Asura.Hyden
Server: Asura
user: Hyden
By Asura.Hyden 2011-08-05 07:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible to 5hit all 3 of these choices so it really comes down the their swing distribution rate and delay.

Soboro: 30:50:20 (1.9/per)
Khanda 2-3: 50:30:20 (1.7/per) (prolly same for Kuko?)
Khanda 2-4: 40:30:20:10 (2.0/per) (not positive on these numbers, can't find the testing v.v)
Quint: No idea

The new Hasso update would help beef up the number of 1x attacks to 2x attacks of course as well.

You're probably going to be look at WS > 2 attack rounds > WS, most of the time as none of them will average 4.0/per, but the Kuko 2-4 and Quint do have a possibility of a WS > 1 attack round > WS.

Quint/Rose 396 delay 24% haste
Soboro/Sword 437 delay 26% haste
Kuko+2/Sword 450 delay 26% haste

Quint/Rose will be fastest to 100% on average both in both hit distribution and delay. As far as overall DoT... /shrug

If anyone has the numbers for Quint Spear hit distribution (I'm interested).
 Fenrir.Queazy
Server: Fenrir
user: Queezy
By Fenrir.Queazy 2011-08-16 13:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent played in so long so i might be outdated on my knowledge, but Quint spear is the way to go for WS spam. Like said b4 it kinda depends on the mob but its FFXI what doesnt "depends".

Never was a big math wiz so ill leave all the calculations to somebody else but i can tell you from just experience if your looking to WS spam and double light all the time Quint spear is your friend. I never got around to doing the Trial GKT since i kinda put my yoichi in storage once abyssea came out but soboro is a good choice too. It hits harder then the spear obviously and you can get a 5hit with it iirc. If in abyssea i think you could even get a 5hit using the -delay strap.

anyway the big thing is yoichi isn't all that great on sam anymore (abyssea). The greatness of it was pre-abyssea. If they have released anything or will in the future that doesnt allow crit WS to crit for crazy damage it will become relevant again maybe. Or if they allow Namas Arrow to crit ^^. Namas arrow is one of the weakest relic WS, in order for it to do alot of damage you need to be really buffed. I would venture to say it benefits from buffs more then alot of other Relic WS. at 75 with the same buffs (bard/cor) i would do around the same damage as kaiten maybe 100ish less. Not sure how it fairs nowadays. Oh and you get no hate from it so you never have to worry about using defensive abilities or not WS'n if hate is out of control lol, but that doesnt matter in today's FFXI, but again maybe that will all change if they stray away from abyssea style.
 Sylph.Aleaucent
By Sylph.Aleaucent 2011-08-17 08:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Queezy, the main reason I am choosing Yoichi due to the fact I always wanted one but never thought I would ever be able to attain it. That being said, seeing that the game is moving away from abyssea and with planned adjustments to relic weapons (hoping they dont screw it up) and the current adjustments to relic ws damage (90 namas arrow on par with sidewinder) and skillchain damage adjustments (regularly seeing SAM cranking out 2k+ light/dark skillchains) I think this combination has the potential to be devastating in the right situations (i.e. not on abyssea mobs that fall over after proc). I also punched some numbers into the calculator and while its extremely hard to 5 hit quint alone, the tp return from namas arrow thanks to the high bow delay does make it easy to ws + 4 hit with quint. I do have some more to add to my initial question though: Is the DoT from 2-4 hit gk really going to make up for increased ws spam from quint? Is the accuracy difference going to be a factor between polearm and GK? And lastly, can zanshin proc on multi hit weapon misses or with the new update on the first hit of a multihit (hasso up)?
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2011-08-17 09:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Aleaucent said: »
Queezy, the main reason I am choosing Yoichi due to the fact I always wanted one but never thought I would ever be able to attain it. That being said, seeing that the game is moving away from abyssea and with planned adjustments to relic weapons (hoping they dont screw it up) and the current adjustments to relic ws damage (90 namas arrow on par with sidewinder) and skillchain damage adjustments (regularly seeing SAM cranking out 2k+ light/dark skillchains) I think this combination has the potential to be devastating in the right situations (i.e. not on abyssea mobs that fall over after proc). I also punched some numbers into the calculator and while its extremely hard to 5 hit quint alone, the tp return from namas arrow thanks to the high bow delay does make it easy to ws + 4 hit with quint. I do have some more to add to my initial question though: Is the DoT from 2-4 hit gk really going to make up for increased ws spam from quint? Is the accuracy difference going to be a factor between polearm and GK? And lastly, can zanshin proc on multi hit weapon misses or with the new update on the first hit of a multihit (hasso up)?

Zanshin can not proc on a multihit round.
Quint is going to be hard to beat for Yoichi at this time. Namas spam shines on the mobs where the acc won't be an issue and the 2-4 weapons don't have a great hit spread. I still wish I finished Yoichi, I had all the currency but went 0/26 on the attestation (way before the dyna adjustments) and gave up on it lol.