Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Dual Wield SAM
Dual Wield SAM
 Ragnarok.Amador
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-03 06:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you guys miss the part where the guy basically asked if Tachi: Fudo could be an ability?

"Could we have Ia Samurai quick draw ability?"

I chuckled at this point.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-03 06:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam should have an ability that let them use ws at 0 tp.

Oh wait, they actually said they'd look into implementing that. SE be trolling.
 Ragnarok.Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-03 06:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Their 2hr should be a 10 min ability, and their new 2hr should be replaced by 60 seconds worth of 0 TP cost WS's.

^-^ done.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-08-03 06:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Sam should have an ability that let them use ws at 0 tp. Oh wait, they actually said they'd look into implementing that. SE be trolling.
I honestly thought that having a JA that let you do a ws without any tp would be great for sam, obviously the timer would have to be something within reason not to be broken and be worth having, I mean were suppose to specialize in weaponskills and skillchains so being able to produce them more often then the rest of the jobs should be our specialty.

I dont want a crit ws, I just want to do it more often~
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-08-03 06:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Amador said:
Did you guys miss the part where the guy basically asked if Tachi: Fudo could be an ability? "Could we have Ia Samurai quick draw ability?" I chuckled at this point.

So they want a 3ed reskin of kasha? XD
 Ragnarok.Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-03 07:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Sam should have an ability that let them use ws at 0 tp. Oh wait, they actually said they'd look into implementing that. SE be trolling.
I honestly thought that having a JA that let you do a ws without any tp would be great for sam, obviously the timer would have to be something within reason not to be broken and be worth having, I mean were suppose to specialize in weaponskills and skillchains so being able to produce them more often then the rest of the jobs should be our specialty.

:|

Oh ya, all jobs use weaponskills, and need tp.

It's not a specialty they just get TP faster. -getting TP faster- not just getting free ws's. You have to see how much they cater to this job just because the player base for the job is so big.

Already however, it's fairly strong as is. The new addition was, oh hay Ability -> WS -> Skill Chain for over 9000 *OUTSIDE OF ABYSSEA*

So really. This 'manifesto' is basically saying: "We're gonna further beef SAM ws potency, and TP phase, as well as a ton of other things that are being considered!
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-08-03 07:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Katanas on sam wouldn't be anything breaking btw... about 95% sure they would do it the same way as gkt on nin... nin doesn't get yuki/gekko/kasha so that would mirror on sam not getting jin/ten/ku since part of the argument would be "nin gets our weapon". In additon you would lose access to hasso/seigen which would hurt quite a bit I'd imagine.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2011-08-03 07:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Katana on SAM would make sense to be honest. Samurai's use Katana's & it'd only be for proc'ing or skilling up anyway.

Dual wield however would be stupid.
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-08-03 08:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't SAM used to have Dual-Wield as a job trait? I could see bringing it back if so. But really, wielding two great katanas is ridiculous. Damn anime cliche's.
 Odin.Daemun
user: daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2011-08-03 08:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Amador said:
Their 2hr should be a 10 min ability, and their new 2hr should be replaced by 60 seconds worth of 0 TP cost WS's.

^-^ done.
That's like a free brew every 2 hrs. Think of the mobs SAM could solo with 20-22 free WS
 Odin.Daemun
user: daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2011-08-03 08:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
Katana on SAM would make sense to be honest. Samurai's use Katana's & it'd only be for proc'ing or skilling up anyway.

/thf SATA+DW
By volkom 2011-08-03 08:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

if Sam gets to dual wield... I Want drk's to have a floating weapon that attacks when you do kinda like
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-08-03 08:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I had some argument with a friend earlier, that I think SAM should be able to use archery WS without subbing RNG. Not because it'd come in handy like crazy but just because I was nitpicking and thought it'd be cool to throw around some archery WS randomly while /war when needed.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-08-03 08:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

posted this on the official forum, wanted to post it here also to get ffxiah feedback/thoguhts.

at the risk of sounding like a complete tool, ill offer my two cents.

one way or another sam should have a dagger/katana like weapon. sam already has dagger skill itself but id say it should have its own specific style of dagger or katana.

some people mention that wakizashi could be a candidate. i agree with this. SE could make a wakizashi skill and have it supplement great katana, or let it be only a mainhanded weapon.

the idea of traditional samurai being honorable brings another idea to mind. someone posted that samurai would use a wakizashi to murder themselves when they failed a mission. and i was thinking of a way to spin off of this. i was thinking of a job trait or an ability that inflicts damage on the user when said user misses a ws. a dot or amount of dmg is done to the sam but it increases its attack speed or attack. another option is that it inflicts doom status. i like to think of it as a combination of souleater, mijin gakure and sublimation.

some of these ideas may seem a little far fetched but whats so wrong with letting ones imagination run wild. if anyone else has any ideas or some criticism/adjustment to my ideas please speak up.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-08-03 09:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see the harm in granting SAM native katana skill, if that's something the development team is considering.
SAM already has "C+" Sword skill and "E" Dagger skill, but you don't see SAM/NINs and SAM/DNCs walking around with 2 swords or daggers. Giving SAM some level of native katana skill wouldn't alter the game balance very much, if at all.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, S-E could inject a new class of swords, making them more practical than the swords currently available to SAMs. Since SAM already has the "C+" sword skill, they wouldn't need to add native katana skill to SAM to make this change.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-08-03 09:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If we really want to bring RL into this keep in mind that the GKT SE uses in the game would be on the larger side (I think the proper name for them would be nodatchis) and would be far to akward to weild realisticly with a second blade.

As for bringing seppuku into the mix it would typicly be performed after the battle if the samurai was too shamed by the defeat or ordered to commit it so combat based abilitys for that don't really work out

The first couple archery WS might make sense as in RL they did train in archery as well (I beleave vollies were exchanged before entering a melee too) but sidewinder would be a bit too much.

I know this is a fantasy type game but if gunna bring RL into the decision makeing keep in mind anime/movies/games =/= RL, a large majority of what we see with regards to samurais and ninjas is greatly exagerated from the reality.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-03 09:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

i want an ability that makes my name spaghetti with a recast of three minutes that announces such in the voice of carl brutananadilewski

wouldn't be broken or anything
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-08-03 09:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said:
If we really want to bring RL into this keep in mind that the GKT SE uses in the game would be on the larger side (I think the proper name for them would be nodatchis) and would be far to akward to weild realisticly with a second blade.

As for bringing seppuku into the mix it would typicly be performed after the battle if the samurai was too shamed by the defeat or ordered to commit it so combat based abilitys for that don't really work out

The first couple archery WS might make sense as in RL they did train in archery as well (I beleave vollies were exchanged before entering a melee too) but sidewinder would be a bit too much.

I know this is a fantasy type game but if gunna bring RL into the decision makeing keep in mind anime/movies/games =/= RL, a large majority of what we see with regards to samurais and ninjas is greatly exagerated from the reality.

I don't see why Sidewinder, or any of the archery WS sam gets as /rng would be a bit too much to have as any other sub job. Especially if you're a Empy/Relic SAM, you have almost no reason to use Sidewinder/Refulgent Arrow over another WS unless the mob is weak to piercing. SAM even has some of it's own job specific bows out there and yet we have to sub RNG to put the skill to use at all. They put ranged acc/atk on our AF3 gloves for something we only use when subbing RNG. Seems pretty lame to me, and I don't see the job becoming overpowered at all if they allowed us access to archery WS without subbing RNG. Obviously we still wouldn't be able to use stuff like Blast/Arching/Empyreal Arrow and whatnot, since those are RNG only. But the other WS sound fine to me.
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-08-03 09:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zellc said:
posted this on the official forum
You had me at hello.
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-08-03 09:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

well tbh the greatest Samurai (Miyamoto Musashi)of all time dual wielded. I dont see what the problem is. People always getting scared of ideas... Legitimate ideas that is. On SE forums you really think that they would be like that is a dumb idea now gtfo... They still have to be politically correct. Also in regards to the use of Katana; well its HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE that sam doesnt have this already.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-08-03 09:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Daemun said:
Shiva.Superdan said:

/thf SATA+DW

THF gets DW at level 83 or something, so, no. :p
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-08-03 09:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Odin.Daemun said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
Katana on SAM would make sense to be honest. Samurai's use Katana's & it'd only be for proc'ing or skilling up anyway. Dual wield however would be stupid.
/thf SATA+DW
THF gets DW at level 83 or something, so, no. :p

so sam/thf will get it when they raise the level cap to 166 then
 Siren.Mallicard
Server: Siren
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-08-03 10:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I am not well enough informed on this subject. BRB going to go watch more TV.
By Raborn 2011-08-03 10:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What other job besides ninja has a katana skill high enough to pull off basic procs in abyssea?
I may be overshooting this without looking into it, but having a second job that can also do these procs would be nice. Seeing as ninja can pull off jinpu and koki right?
sam should be able to pull of ei.
[+]
 Sylph.Deathknight
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-08-03 10:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said:

Perhaps they could instead give a JA to gain TP at a rapid rate for a short duration. Maybe they could give it a relatively short time, say 3 minutes. That would let SAM ws more often...

Raborn said:

I may be overshooting this without looking into it, but having a second job that can also do these procs would be nice. Seeing as ninja can pull off jinpu and koki right?
sam should be able to pull of ei.

But then NINs will be useless again and PLDs will rule the tanking scene.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-08-03 11:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

cheese sandwich
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-08-03 11:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Deathknight said:
Perhaps they could instead give a JA to gain TP at a rapid rate for a short duration. Maybe they could give it a relatively short time, say 3 minutes. That would let SAM ws more often...
Thats a great idea I dont know why I didnt think about that, you should mention that on the forums, hopefully they wont make it so that any job could sub sam and gain that ability because that would really make your point irrevelant esp with other jobs already having their own way of gaining tp, could you imagine them having that too?.....but Ill be rooting for this one just for you.

Fredjan said:
cheese sandwich
I concur.
 Sylph.Deathknight
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-08-03 11:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
Thats a great idea I dont know why I didnt think about that, you should mention that on the forums, hopefully they wont make it so that any job could sub sam and gain that ability because that would really make your point irrevelant esp with other jobs already having their own way of gaining tp, could you imagine them having that too?.....but Ill be rooting for this one just for you.

I agree. If they worked out the math for 180TP = 60TP, why that would just be amazing.
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-08-03 11:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Deathknight said:
Odin.Hitoseijuro said:
I agree. If they worked out the math for 180TP = 60TP, why that would just be amazing.
Its SE they clearly wouldnt know what TP overflow is or consider ~77% haste, 5/6 hit, 25% triple attack, ~18% double attack ,now adding hassoZanshin+ Iskishoten returning almost triple the tp per swing and add all this reducing the actual potency of extra tp. Im sure theres a star among us that ws everytime exactly at 100tp though.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-08-03 12:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]