New Challenge (PUP)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » New Challenge (PUP)
New Challenge (PUP)
First Page 2
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 16:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so having being bored with the rest of my jobs at 66-90 i decided that i'm going to take on a new challenge...puppetmaster.

What kind of ***will i need to get going?

What attachments are actually useful?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-17 16:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just made a thread like this myself and only got one serious answer, the rest trying to troll me. I hope you have more success.

Quote:
As for Pup in an endgame setting, I don't really know much of what it can do outside of Abyssea. But inside Abyssea Pup can perform really really well depending on the situation.

For big things that are not very magic resistant (Hedjedjet, NQ ToAU bosses, ect.) the BLM puppet would perform really well. But it would only work well if you have the proper attachments (Loudspeaker 1/2, Ice maker, and Tranquilizer if you are getting a lot of resists). The Blm puppet along with a proper Pet: MAB build would help it a whole lot.

Another thing pup would be good at doing is farming lights you need from Eph's/Elementals. Just knock them down a bit by meleeing them, then just nuke them with the Automaton.

Along with farming lights, you can kill very fast just soloing mobs as Pup, which would make you a great person to use to farm time while other people are fighting those mobs that are very AoE heavy or absorb a particular type of damage during ws/magic casting since it would make you either useless or be too risky to use against. Just using the Burattinaios from the T3 VNM in Abyssea-Ule can increase your damage output a lot by taking your pets TP that it gets from them. If you plan to do Pup a lot in Abyssea, do NOT neglect your own TP/WS set for it. I know a lot of Pup's that like to focus mainly on their pet, while that's good outside Abyssea, it's completely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE inside because Stringing Pummel is just broken inside and you will totally decimate any damage that your Automaton does for things that you can melee.

I personally have a set for pretty much every Automaton frame depending on their actions. For Valoredge (Haven't found a reason to really use this frame except for doing shitty trials and mooching off it's TP in Abyssea for those times I have someone healing me) I just stack on all the Pet: Haste, Acc, Str, and things like that on when I'm not meleeing while it is. For the mage puppets (except the Whm head) I stack a lot of pet: MAB and ACC for it which makes a considerable difference than just letting it go without my own gear. And for the Rng puppet, I usually just use Stout Arm, Atma of the Wanderer, and VV to just run in and have it ws and just deactivate it depending on whether it pulled hate or not on the NM.

But if you are really serious about Pup, the things I would focus on are (in order of importance) Stringing Pummel, Automaton attachments (Most important are Loudspeakers, Ice Maker, Condenser and tranquilizer, and if you have the money, Optic fiber and turbo charger), TP/WS gear, and then Pet bonus gear.

Hopefully this helps with whatever questions you have :D

P.S. If you want a good way to skill up Automaton magic, just get your whm puppet and go to Beadeaux and stand at the Afflictor with a mob on you and you engaged on it with you turned around, and have your puppet stand out of range and have it spam Cursna on you. Be sure to run a script to use Dark Maneuver to have your Automaton never run out of mp, and wear some regen gear so you don't get killed. This is a good method to skill up magic while afk.[/quite]
[+]
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 17:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Draylo, that does indeed address some of the higher level questions. But i'm thinking more, level 10+ lol.

It's honestly an entire new frontier to me and i'm finding it quite overwhelming with the sheer magnitude of diversity within the job itself, nevermind gear, automations, etc.

Thank you for that, it does indeed help later on.

Kinda hoping someone can point me in the right direction for now
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 17:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Jynxy to begin with you'll want some basic attachments of course. This will depend first on if you're mostly soloing or partying because certain attachments work better on certain mobs. Anytime you're fighting something EM+ constantly use Target Marker and Attuner, along with Stabilizers or Tension springs if you have room. Anything weaker than that don't bother using those two because they won't do ***.

Other useful attachments at low levels include the Volt Gun, Coiler, Mana Tanks(if using a magic using automaton), and Auto-Repair kits.

As you get higher you'll begin to want the higher end expensive attachments such as Turbo Charger(one of our best attachments) and Optic Fiber. But unless you're burning(Which I really hope you arn't) you won't have to worry about them for a bit.

I know this is bare bones and not that informative but I'm lazy right now and hate explaining things.

Edit: Also please excuse my horrible run on sentences/punctuation. >.<
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 17:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i thank you for the insight.

And in regards to the burning comment, no i'm not burning puppetmaster, i figure it's a job like my bst where it'll benefit me far more to take the learning curves now and actually understand the job.

Thank you for the reply. ^^
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 17:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jynxy said:

And in regards to the burning comment, no i'm not burning puppetmaster, i figure it's a job like my bst where it'll benefit me far more to take the learning curves now and actually understand the job.

This is correct. lol

I simply hate seeing some of the PUPs now who TP in full Aurore or worst full AF/Relic. I'm sorry but AF hands especially should never be fulltimed.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 17:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said:
Ifrit.Jynxy said:

This is correct. lol

I simply hate seeing some of the PUPs now who TP in full Aurore or worst full AF/Relic. I'm sorry but AF hands especially should never be fulltimed.

I understand entirely. In regards to the af, i wouldn't know lol. But i understand your point with crystal definition. People are burning jobs that really shouldn't be burned.

DD's don't matter so much so long as you already have it capped. But PUP and BST in particular are imo.

But in all seriousness thank you for your response. If you should feel to expand on anything pup related i would appreciate that very much, i'm currently in WG just bought a few attachments, actually i bought them all lol but i also bought several of some, ie. the hp tanks and the att+ ones. If i understand it correctly i can stack them? Fooking hope so for that gil lol.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 18:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No don't ever buy multiples of attachments, they are stackable only for crafter's sake. You can only put 1 of each attachment on and they never break or anything. well except the Is and IIs but I feel thats a bit obvious.

Also feel free to PM me with specific questions I feel better responding that way usually. XP I get a little too into everything on the job and just get way off topic sometimes.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 18:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said:
No don't ever buy multiples of attachments, they are stackable only for crafter's sake.

Carbuncle.Mythikah
Server: Carbuncle
user: Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-04-17 18:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

For solo levelling pup, I found the rdm frame to be the most useful. It cures you without doing annoying -nas and it can throw in nukes for some extra dmg. Make sure to keep it within melee range to keep its melee skill up!

The key to the blm frame's awesomeness is condenser + ice maker and w/e other magic attachments. You put up water then ice->ice->ice (water will prevent overload) and then you can outnuke blm! Haha.

You should try to keep your ranged puppet's skill up, but I know it's hard. Mine's still at lvl 80 skill and I'm lvl 90. If you need advice on where to skill up at what skill level, just let me know! Armor piecer is amazing damage, I just wish we could stack fire maneuvers and flame holder without activating a crappy Acroballista. It would be awesome if you could somehow "preset" the weapon skills you want available to your puppet, like how you can set your adventuring fellow to not use AoE ws. Funnily enough, npcs use cures more intelligently than puppets as well. Moar weapon skills and smarter automatons please SE!
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 18:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

then you can outnuke blm! Haha.

I'm sorry. We do great damage but overall BLMs will win in the damage department we have to accept that. For single nukes yes we can win. But overall they can simply setup strong nukes faster than we can.

However since we can erase the hate from our automatons by deactivating them after the nuke and before it takes damage we do get a nice perk compared to BLM.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-17 18:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, just bought a full set of attachments from the npc and just set them all up, time to play and experiment.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 18:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jynxy said:
Okay, just bought a full set of attachments from the npc and just set them all up, time to play and experiment.
Good luck.
 Bismarck.Ashjin
Server: Bismarck
user: Ashjin
By Bismarck.Ashjin 2011-04-17 18:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

for attachments its jst takes a few mins read on wiki.
i solo'd most the job with whm rly it depends on the mob if you're fighting anything toughhhhh or anything that can give a status effect, on a camp like nashmau birds for example you're better off using rdm jst to speed it up a lil from nukes.
None of your essential attachments will rly cost more then 20k pretty much all the 1mil+ ones are jst awesome bonuses.
an example for whm frame though would be:
mana booster
shock absorber
stealth screen
auto repair 2
flashbulb!!
damage guage!!!!
mana tank 1 and 2
rest i normally fill with mdb, acc blah blah
soon as you can get an economiser (i'd get that first), condenser 2nd for when you start using blm.
gear yourself with a ton of +evasion at lower lvs..
AF is shite bar hands which you should have macrod
i set my 3 main elements each time and /equip AF hands w/e manouvre <wait 1) bk to normal hands and it killed the animation 95% of the time
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-04-17 19:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said:
Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

I'm sorry. We do great damage but overall BLMs will win in the damage department we have to accept that. For single nukes yes we can win. But overall they can simply setup strong nukes faster than we can.

However since we can erase the hate from our automatons by deactivating them after the nuke and before it takes damage we do get a nice perk compared to BLM.

Sometimes it's a single nuke that matters, and that's what I meant anyways. Also, pups can't choose which nuke is being used and that's a downside as well.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2011-04-17 19:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:
Shiva.Spathaian said:
Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

Sometimes it's a single nuke that matters, and that's what I meant anyways. Also, pups can't choose which nuke is being used and that's a downside as well.
Well then ignore my comment I'm just being a douche. XP
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Server: Ramuh
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-04-18 00:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:

That's kinda true, but not true. Let's make an example!

If a monster has a normal magic resistances to all elements, then the automaton will case the highest tier nuke it has (Blizzard V)

If a monster is resistant to an element (Ice Elemental), then automaton goes with next highest spell to cast (Fire V; which happens to be weakness)

Honestly, idk what the automaton would do if it was against a monster that absorbs magic damage with no kind of elemental resists... Most of those kinda monsters, I'm either on SMN or BLU >.> I think that, since it's not resistant to any certain element, it's still cast... Only locks up on casting when you throw it into debuffing mode and monster is immune/highly resistant to all status effects.

I should see if I can get this geek mode switch set to perma off...
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-18 00:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been doing alot of testing on Eraser + Tactical processor. These two really go hand in hand, and are very nice if you are waiting for a cure, but instead have a status effect on, (which the auto will cast the -na first). I would suggest using both of these, but only in solo situations, where there is a mob that casts.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-18 00:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

For the more expensive attachments you can do the ashu talif line of quests. They are a complete joke now, especially with a BLU.
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-18 01:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

agreed dray...

I would suggest getting the "attachment basics" first, before you start buying everything... and make sure you like the job, just remember that, yes pup is a blast to level, but once you put an attachment on, its gone...

The basics i refer to are things like flashbulb, shockabsorber, replicator, auto repair kits 1 and 2, mana tank 1 and 2, eraser and tact. processor. theres maybe a couple others, but those are the #1 need to have.

*note* alot of people dont understand how tact. processor works, but combined with eraser it has saved my butt many times, when im waiting for the auto to cast a cure.. so i would suggest 100% get it
 Phoenix.Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-18 01:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ashjin said:
for attachments its jst takes a few mins read on wiki.
i solo'd most the job with whm rly it depends on the mob if you're fighting anything toughhhhh or anything that can give a status effect, on a camp like nashmau birds for example you're better off using rdm jst to speed it up a lil from nukes.
None of your essential attachments will rly cost more then 20k pretty much all the 1mil+ ones are jst awesome bonuses.
an example for whm frame though would be:
mana booster
shock absorber
stealth screen
auto repair 2
flashbulb!!
damage guage!!!!
mana tank 1 and 2
rest i normally fill with mdb, acc blah blah
soon as you can get an economiser (i'd get that first), condenser 2nd for when you start using blm.
gear yourself with a ton of +evasion at lower lvs..
AF is shite bar hands which you should have macrod
i set my 3 main elements each time and /equip AF hands w/e manouvre <wait 1) bk to normal hands and it killed the animation 95% of the time
I marcro in AF feet for repairs too, and works very well.. but yea everything else is not worth it to even have in your inventory. initally, i tried to macro in AF pants for when auto cures, but its a huge pain in the *** to do that, so usually i just leave them out of the equation.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-18 01:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, just woke up and thought i'd check. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

ALTHOUGH i do have one big question... i hit level 14 after an hour of playing before i crashed out last night...

I can now get a different body and a few different heads.

Which one would people recommend to start with? I do intend to get them all, but i also read that their's a jp timer involved.
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-04-18 01:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
For the more expensive attachments you can do the ashu talif line of quests. They are a complete joke now, especially with a BLU.

Tell that to someone who can find no one to do it with and owes someone 2.3 mill for a tranquilizer...
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-04-18 01:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jynxy said:

ALTHOUGH i do have one big question... i hit level 14 after an hour of playing before i crashed out last night...

Which one would people recommend to start with? I do intend to get them all, but i also read that their's a jp timer involved.

Well I'd recommend the ranger first cause it's a pain in the butt to skill up from nothing. even more of a pain if you wait till 20.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-18 01:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Mythikah said:
Ifrit.Jynxy said:

Well I'd recommend the ranger first cause it's a pain in the butt to skill up from nothing. even more of a pain if you wait till 20.

Okay, aside from skilling is Sharpshot good? And is it a competent solo? Cause i don't imagine i'll get many pt invites...
 Carbuncle.Mythikah
By Carbuncle.Mythikah 2011-04-18 01:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jynxy said:
Carbuncle.Mythikah said:
Ifrit.Jynxy said:

Okay, aside from skilling is Sharpshot good? And is it a competent solo? Cause i don't imagine i'll get many pt invites...

Hmmm. Well it's excellent against birds, haha. It's kind of difficult to solo with because it's kinda squishy and steals hate too much, but it's not awful. The stormwaker frame is of course the easiest to solo with, but you should experiment with them all! :P

I've soloed somewhat tough monsters to skill it up, but I needed to use dnc sub to stay alive.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-18 01:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i think i may go stormwalker first, not only as i'm a die hard mage so this appeals to me greatly. But also, i don't have very much healing capabilty myself yet and i don't want a squishy auto, i haven't even engaged up to now. The harlequin is terminator reincarnate!
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2011-04-18 02:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sharpshot is not that bad to solo with if you know how to equip it's attachemnt. If solo/skill up with him just use Patern Reader, replicator, Accelerator I and II, Shock Absorber, Auto-Repair Kit II, Flashbulb, Schurzen and Steam Jacket. That will give it an eva+ as good as a NIN along with regen, stoneskin, flash and blink if you always keep light, wind and earth maneuvor up. Remember to always use repair ability when u go close to die. Sub /DNC for extra healing. That's the best way to skill it up.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-18 02:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i'm only level 14 atm so /dnc doesn't really do much for me considering my lazy playstyle.

Also, i don't have repair yet.

But i'll sure take your other stuff into consideration. Thanks ^^

Just working on getting a new body now and getting the tier II attachments i'm missing.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2011-04-18 02:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i understand. My recomendation is for soloing it to skill it up since it will most likely be doing the most dmg and stealing hate after u get it's skill to a certain level. So, most of that set up is to skill range up, not actully to level up PUP as a job.
First Page 2