/mnk Fun!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » /mnk fun!
/mnk fun!
First Page 2 3 4
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-02-23 22:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Finished up /mnk today and busted my *** getting Roaring Laughter Atma.

Went and played around a bit and had some pretty nice results.
I see /mnk being 100x more useful then /sam in abyssea.

I know this is discussed left and right and its nothing new.
But i just wanted to share some Screens for anyone interested in trying it. :D

[+]
By Andylynn 2011-02-24 03:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lolcamlanns torment... oh there was another point to this thread?
what makes it super better than /sam?
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-24 03:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

not trying to say you're gimp or some ***, but really, spectators

you know better my main man
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-24 05:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Better than third eye for defense, yes, but you give up way too much offensively. Lose a hit off your x-hit and lose hasso *** kills your damage way more than you could ever gain from counters.
[+]
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Server: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2011-02-24 06:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Better than third eye for defense, yes, but you give up way too much offensively. Lose a hit off your x-hit and lose hasso *** kills your damage way more than you could ever gain from counters.
Why the avatar?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-24 06:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Best artist EVER! duh
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-24 06:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are tanking and dont want to give into other jobs /Mnk works perfectly fine when you are duo'ing stuff with a friend or 2boxing.

MNK is the BEST Tank in the game yes there is no arguing that, but at the same time there is nothing wrong w/ wanting to play your favorite job either.

I do alot of stuff 2boxing my Drk and Whm mule with /MNK sub, pretty much lets you engage and just focus on curing, MUCH more efficient than /nin from a tanks perspective as well.
 Bismarck.Tuvae
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2011-02-24 06:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you are tanking and dont want to give into other jobs /Mnk works perfectly fine when you are duo'ing stuff with a friend or 2boxing. MNK is the BEST Tank in the game yes there is no arguing that, but at the same time there is nothing wrong w/ wanting to play your favorite job either. I do alot of stuff 2boxing my Drk and Whm mule with /MNK sub, pretty much lets you engage and just focus on curing, MUCH more efficient than /nin from a tanks perspective as well.
Inside of abyssea.
[+]
By Ashaaman 2011-02-24 06:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you are tanking and dont want to give into other jobs /Mnk works perfectly fine when you are duo'ing stuff with a friend or 2boxing. MNK is the BEST Tank in the game yes there is no arguing that, but at the same time there is nothing wrong w/ wanting to play your favorite job either. I do alot of stuff 2boxing my Drk and Whm mule with /MNK sub, pretty much lets you engage and just focus on curing, MUCH more efficient than /nin from a tanks perspective as well.
Inside of abyssea.

There's other aspects to the current game?
[+]
 Bismarck.Tuvae
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2011-02-24 06:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashaaman said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Inside of abyssea.
There's other aspects to the current game?
You bet your little piggy toes theres other aspects to the current game!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-24 06:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Inside of abyssea.

MNK is a pretty hard to beat tank outside Abyssea too. With the highest HP in the game, rapid enmity generation via continual attacks and high damage WS's, MNK can be a good choice for tanking.

I've never had any hate issues (aside from Hate resets) when I've had MNK tanks. On the times I run low with MP, a well geared MNK can Chakra for some decent HP (+Regen from Invigorate), so I can carry on resting.

Topping it off, MNK gets natural Subtle Blow, putting it up with NIN in terms of Enemy TP Gain reduction (Chi Blast & Penance too).

I'd have to say, if you think MNK is only good as a tank inside Abyssea, you're playing with some horrendous MNK's.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-02-24 07:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
If MNK is the BEST Tank in the game
Inside of abyssea.

Sylph.Hitetsuif said:
if you think MNK is only good as a tank inside Abyssea, you're playing with some horrendous MNK's.
quite a jump there

It is, I don't know if you saw the "If you think" you also quoted there. But in case you didn't, I'll requote it.

Sylph.Hitetsuif said:
if you think MNK is only good as a tank inside Abyssea, you're playing with some horrendous MNK's.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Spccdog
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-02-24 07:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Monk is the boss everywhere right now, but not fail ones that tank in full arhats with *** swift belts etc etc
 Bismarck.Tuvae
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2011-02-24 07:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I had never heard of MNK tanking till abyssea came out. If its so awesome why did no one do it?! And if they did then why are they keeping it from me? Cuz I never heard of anyone even trying to tank on MNK outside of abyssea.
[+]
By Ashaaman 2011-02-24 08:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tuvae said:
I had never heard of MNK tanking till abyssea came out. If its so awesome why did no one do it?! And if they did then why are they keeping it from me? Cuz I never heard of anyone even trying to tank on MNK outside of abyssea.

Obligatory Salvage reply.

But on a more serious note, the increase in H2H skill 15 more levels probably helped MNK most damage wise because it raises their damage level or something, I'm not sure of the wording, maybe an actual monk could expand on that.

But before Abyssea, a lot of shells were turning to SAM tanks... So they were atleast using DD tanks.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-24 08:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't messed with MNK sub on DRG.

Been Enjoying WAR/MNK It's nice having an old school combo be viable again.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-24 09:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashaaman said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:

But on a more serious note, the increase in H2H skill 15 more levels probably helped MNK most damage wise because it raises their damage level or something, I'm not sure of the wording, maybe an actual monk could expand on that.

But before Abyssea, a lot of shells were turning to SAM tanks... So they were atleast using DD tanks.

DRK and SAM were pretty common tanks before abyssea came out.
Some people used MNK, but it was kinda rare outside of Salvage <_>
But anyways, DD tanks have been around for a long time, people just usually prefered the "safety" of a PLD.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-24 09:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Prima guide says MNK can't tank, it must be true.
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-02-24 09:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

For offense same offers hasso yes. And meditate/sekka.

But when you are low maning i see /mnk being 100% more usefull then /sam.
Mainly because i would prefer a 70-80% Counter rate rather then 1-who knows how many third eyes procing in a row.

That and when you have hate/tanking it increases my dmg output with aftermath and such.

Screenshots show the constant dmg output which /sam wouldnt have.
Also to keep 6hit i simply swap on rosestrap and eat carbo. bang :D
But believe me, in anything with a group where im merely a DD. /sam ftw :D
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-24 09:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Brady guide said WAR/WHM is good for people who wanna be PLD. WAR/BLM for DRKs!
 Asura.Railock
Server: Asura
By Asura.Railock 2011-02-24 17:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Call me crazy, but doesn't subbing /MNK make you more of an MP sponge compared to SAM? Sure we have Super Jump and all but is there something I'm missing here?

Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-02-24 19:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

umm im 100% confident that /mnk would take less dmg then /sam.
Due to that fact that you can rock a Full time 70-80% counter rate vs Lucky Third eye.

Thats the whole reason i did this. For when im lowmaning/tanking on drg.

That and its fun to mix things up once in awhile

also :
Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
not trying to say you're gimp or some ***, but really, spectators

you know better my main man
Whats that about? lol
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-24 19:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashaaman said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:

H2H skill increases base damage, yes. Not really the reason it's an uber tank (inside and outside), but MNK gets more out of level cap increases than anyone else excluding new JAs/traits.

/MNK will probably take less damage than /SAM, but giving up all the offense that /SAM affords is idiotic when you can survive just fine with /SAM fulltiming Hasso, especially on a job that makes heavy use of abilities that shed a large amount of enmity.

Edit: Lack of MNK tanking outside Salvage was more due to SAM bandwagoning than it was a shift in balance once Abyssea came out. MNK has always been an excellent tank.
By Serj 2011-02-24 19:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Ashaaman said:
Bismarck.Tuvae said:

DRK and SAM were pretty common tanks before abyssea came out.
Some people used MNK, but it was kinda rare outside of Salvage <_>
But anyways, DD tanks have been around for a long time, people just usually prefered the "safety" of a PLD.

I just typed out a bunch of stuff to realize it was already said here in a shortened version.

If anyone has any questions to this, just ask and I'm sure people will expand on it.
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-02-24 19:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

*/MNK will probably take less damage than /SAM, but giving up all the offense that /SAM affords is idiotic when you can survive just fine with /SAM fulltiming Hasso, especially on a job that makes heavy use of abilities that shed a large amount of enmity.*

This statement COMPLETELY derails what the use of /mnk is for . /sigh.

CLEARLY if i DIDNT want to be tanking on drg (solo,duo, etc) i would be on /sam (My FAVORITE SJ). /facepalm
By Serj 2011-02-24 19:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

...............what is the use of /mnk, then? Doing less damage...?
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-02-24 19:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***. Really?

The dude said "why give up the offense abilities of /sam such as full time hasso"

Im sorry but you rnot gonna survive solo or low man full timing hasso and eating every single *** hit.

/mnk offers a Very high counter rate and when the mob is being counter 4/5 times, you WILL do more dmg.

Yes your WS's suffer. But this is for SURVIVING. Solo/duo. Whatever ><

Is it really that complicated ? This thread wasnt about argueing whats better for what. Its simply showing /mnk in action. And that it Works GREAT for tanking on a DD job such a drg,drk,war.

/doublefacepalm

*edit* ~This is abyssea only. I would never do /mnk outside due to missing Counter atma's that make this worthwhile
First Page 2 3 4