Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » The Afflictor and skillups
The Afflictor and skillups
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-15 16:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Some time ago I saw this "trick" mentioned. How does it work exactely? Someone said you could just afk hours, but I can't seem to find a sweet spot. Either the mob goes too far away (and my automaton follows him and kill) or the mob comes too close and same result, my automaton kills it.
Can anybody share more details concerning this?

And how can you manage mana? Without you to use Dark Maneuvers, wouldn't the doll end up mana after a while?
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-01-15 16:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't the afflictor the thing that mutes you?
You stand in range and your automation silena's you?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-15 16:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

No, "The Afflictor" is the thing that curses you, and it's what I tried, but would it be different with "The Mute", the one that silences you? Sounds kinda the same, need to deply your automaton for it to cast spells.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-17 01:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sooo, anybody else read the first post and minds putting some lights on these doubts?

Thanks! ;)
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2011-01-17 02:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this for awhile, I dualboxed a 70RDM and pulled a crawler like 10' or whatever the *** from the afflictor(it's been like a year since I've done it) and just made my puppet attack that crawler, (so the crawler would never go out of range) it usually lasted about an hour or so before the puppet ran out of mp from cursna, and no risk for my mule dying because my puppet would kill it before it killed her. :x I'm not good at explaining things, but that's the way I did it
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-17 04:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So help me here, let's see if I got it right.
You pulled a mob with a mule.
You stayed in range of The Mute/The Afflictor with your Main character.
You engaged your Automaton with the pulled mob, which was of course staying at fixed range and so the movement issue was solved.
Your automaton shouldn't pull aggro either with just cursna/silena (I guess?)

Is this right? I guess the Mana issue could be solved with gear that give Pet Refresh, like uhm... I dunno. AF2+1 Hat and those H2H from Abyssal Cluster in Abyssea - Misareaux maybe.

Still, I'd need to be able to dualbox to do that :'(
 Bismarck.Cerelyn
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Cerelyn 2011-01-17 04:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Windower if you wanna dualbox
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-17 04:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dualboxing ain't the real issue. I've been dualboxing for the last year, altough I was usually doing it with PC+X360, since I have an X360 connected to an HDTV right next to my PC monitor, used this setup because it was lighter for my PC, and because it didn't *** up my gamepad controls and the chatlog.

So yeah, whichever way I choose, be it 2 Windower instances or Windower+X360, dualboxing is not a problem.

The problem is kinda that I don't have a secondary account anymore since early december, so I'll have to find another solution I guess :D
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-01-17 05:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

lol you in no way need a second account in the least thats just down right pointless really.

grab a mob nearby(i like a non quadav mob so i don't have a massive link on me) and drag it to the curse machine and deploy ur puppet while ur stilling running/ the puppet is at a distance and it'll open with cursna, then just stand there and it will spam it. with whm sub i doubt the mob can kill you(or even some regen gear such as relic hat works). spam a few dark maneuvers every so often or just afk, and repull after since your pet will melee after its out of mp, then re-activate your pet for mp and repeate.

if there is a plug in or something to shoot off some maneuvers every so often that should work fine(idk i play on lolps2)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-17 05:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm... didn't think about the fact that those mobs cannot kill me with just a few regen pieces. I might just get a Pugil then, and have a macro that uses a Dark Maneuver every, say, 180 seconds or even less, that way I shouldn't overload, and puppet shouldn't really get hate.

How didn't I think about this earlier? Duh...
Thanks a lot about it!
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-01-18 18:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so it worked.
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
Took me around 20hrs of afking with that macro to go from 330 to 376 magic skill level