Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The graphics are insane
The graphics are insane
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 01:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It's funny how fanboys seem to think which console gets which game is some kind of clannish endorsement of their preferred platform.

In actuality, it's everything to do with IP rights and creative control agreements, and development pipeline concerns. Pretty boring stuff, really.

I have no idea what that would mean to normal guys like us, so really it's just a matter of preference or for what you own in the end.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-02-21 02:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
I have no idea what that would mean to normal guys like us, so really it's just a matter of preference or for what you own in the end.

Editing my post for clarification.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, significantly noticeable difference between the two. Makes me glad I'm buying a PS3 actually.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
That's right: you have to pay them to make a game for their console.

All I gotta say is

Although from a business perspective it can make some sense, but still... Messed up IMO; but I suppose that's just how it goes in that kind of industry. Hopefully a majority of rights are kept through the publishers/developers instead of the console holders especially for the actual and original content therein.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-02-21 02:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Wow, significantly noticeable difference between the two. Makes me glad I'm buying a PS3 actually.

Wow, agreed. I wonder why the 360 ones are so bad... was it originally going to be for PS3 and they back-ported it to 360? That would do it. Hatchet job trying to port the graphics code from PS3 GPU's to DirectX.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-02-21 02:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't like Snow's hat. Otherwise he seems sort of interesting. From what I've seen of the young boy I really don't like him at all. The graphics are pretty, I hope the story and at least a few of the characters are good, I think I'll like Lightning and Sachz(sp?). The games has been called super linear, but I prefer my games this way.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-02-21 02:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well hopefully a lot of xbox 360 owners will get to enjoy the game, the only thing this really effected for the PS3 users that bothered me was release date and lack of JP voice option. They said they worked really hard on the lip syncing and voices for the english version so we'll see. After playing White Knight Chronicles I suppose any games voice acting will be better.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-02-21 02:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
Don't you mean 576p? The 360 version is running at 1024x576(578?) while the PS3 version is running at 1280x720. And horrible looking hair.
<.>
god dayum...who is that girl?
I wasnt planing on buying ff13 but...
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-21 02:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gah, that's not quite as bad as the disparity from playing on the 360 in HD and jumping over to the Wii (the jaggies stick out that much more) but still, pretty butt for how big a name this game is, especially for the privileged 360 release.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
Well hopefully a lot of xbox 360 owners will get to enjoy the game, the only thing this really effected for the PS3 users that bothered me was release date and lack of JP voice option. They said they worked really hard on the lip syncing and voices for the english version so we'll see. After playing White Knight Chronicles I suppose any games voice acting will be better.

Things have improved drastically when it comes to voice syncing for character dialogue over the years, however it would be nice to at least have the option to play it with JP voiceovers and English subtitles.
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

those are some scary screenshots, but i for some reason just cant see it looking like that at all. so ill wait for the release to compare eye to eye.

Either way, i got all systems for a reason :D

Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-02-21 02:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Man I love my Wii, I really do, but I can't help but imagine what Metroid Prime 3 might have looked like in 720p with 2xFSAA.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-02-21 02:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lowblow said:
those are some scary screenshots, but i for some reason just cant see it looking like that at all. so ill wait for the release to compare eye to eye.

The 360 shots were released by SE after the "PS3 360 screen shot release fiasco" (Where they released the exact same images with different GUI overlays.) just a few days ago. They're official.

http://kotaku.com/5475017/these-are-the-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-shots-you-were-looking-for
http://kotaku.com/5470957/new-final-fantasy-xiii-screens-let-you-compare-xbox-360-ps3
http://kotaku.com/5471186/square-enix-probing-altered-ffxiii-comparison-shots-%5Bupdate%5D
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That sucks, if they did it ground up on both system, you wouldnt get that result.
But SE got lazy and did a port of the game. Sad sad.
 Asura.Severna
user: Magellan
By Asura.Severna 2010-02-21 02:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lowblow said:

You'd really buy two versions of the same game to compare graphic resolutions? I can't imagine anyone throwing their money around like that. lol

Edit: Yeah, misread. But still...
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda miss the days when SE made FF for the PC. They did it for FF7 & 8 but then stopped :(
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think thats due to PC gaming being focused on FPS and MMO.

FF core game base was pure console. So the pc sales were poop.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-21 02:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lowblow said:
That sucks, if they did it ground up on both system, you wouldnt get that result.
But SE got lazy and did a port of the game. Sad sad.
I can't imagine them doing it any other way. lol I mean the end-result can suck, but everyone ports; they'd never make back the money if they didn't and I'd cringe if console games got anymore expensive. I'm at the point of just waiting out ***to randomly hit Amazon for a one-day $40 special and having to be super picky.

Shiva.Darkshade said:
Man I love my Wii, I really do, but I can't help but imagine what Metroid Prime 3 might have looked like in 720p with 2xFSAA.
Same, and I can get so spiteful towards my Wii. Not being able to throw shells up in New Super Mario is like the last *** straw. lol
 Asura.Severna
user: Magellan
By Asura.Severna 2010-02-21 02:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
I kinda miss the days when SE made FF for the PC. They did it for FF7 & 8 but then stopped :(

I tried running FF8 on my ancient PC back when they were released. I'm sure I'd miss those days too if I didn't have to deal with the terrible frame rate and occasional freezes. lol
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

True, that and consoles are so widespread now there's no reason to not make games for them from a business perspective. Making it for PC would just be a supplement more so than an actual sales focus. But yeah, PC games tend to focus on FPS and online games. I rarely see a single player RPG on PC that looks worth playing.

Might try The Witcher. It looked insanely awesome.
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya but most multi platform games are done ground up for each console to build around theyre specs and utilize them properly.
Weather it be different shading, rendering, lighting, so on so forth to maximize the system and get nearly identical results.

But when you take a game for one console, and decide hey we can make more money if we make it multi platform, lets just scale it down and pop it over.
Makes it sorta stink -.-
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what happened to 13 by the looks of it =/
But hey, at least 360 players still get to play it nonetheless.
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV was announced for 360 finally. Lets hope they dont make the same Mistake.
That game looks beautiful.
But i also hope they work something out with microsoft.
Because FFXI's Lag/Freeze issues has nothign to do with the console its self, its the fact that you have to go through 2 seperate networks. Xbl and then PoL. So theres alot of clashing with the upload/download. So if they can figure out a way to make the 2 run together 360 users wont have that issue.

In my case those, PC ftw :D . I cant live without the pc costumization :D
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2010-02-21 02:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry, I'm sure SE will do something stupid like have FFXIV run with DirectX 8 or 9 and not support PCIe interfaces haha.
Odin.Lowblow said:
And 360 supports 1080p lol, even with component cables, the difference between component and hdmi isnt viisble by the human eye.

There is no difference between component, DMI or HDMI. HDMI was developed to help with copyright protection by the combined efforts of a few major companies (Sony, Samsung, JVC, etc) as well as having audio and device control features on one cable.

The difference is only seen when a specific monitor or TV does not support 1080i/p on component -- lots of cheap models don't. Go to Best Buy, you'll see them running a Blue-Ray player on a TV that doesn't support 1080p via Component. They do that on the TV's that don't need to sell as much of -- then they put HDMI/BLueRay/Pixar movie on it with the Sharpness turned to max for the best sellable effect on their highest price models to fool the uneducated buyers.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what I do... Leave the consoles for exclusives only (unless you got friends on PSN or XBL, assuming its a game with online capacity) and get the rest on PC.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Bekisa said:
HDMI was developed to help with copyright protection by the combined efforts of a few major companies (Sony, Samsung, JVC, etc)

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a cord affect copyright management?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-21 02:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Lowblow said:
Ya but most multi platform games are done ground up for each console to build around theyre specs and utilize them properly.
Weather it be different shading, rendering, lighting, so on so forth to maximize the system and get nearly identical results.

But when you take a game for one console, and decide hey we can make more money if we make it multi platform, lets just scale it down and pop it over.
Makes it sorta stink -.-
I'd have to see some evidence to support "most" multi-console games being developed from the ground-up for each console to believe it because it doesn't seem at all inline with what I'd expect from large game companies.
 Odin.Lowblow
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-02-21 02:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry Not most. Thats an over statement. Buts its done by the smart ones.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-02-21 02:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i just want to run around the land all day
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-21 02:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
i just want to run around the land all day

That's how I felt about FFXI when it was new. I remember when gustaberg was like my entire world, and when I got to konschtat it was like WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
[+]