Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Tomb raider remaster 1-3
Tomb raider remaster 1-3
First Page 2
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 12:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomb Raider is getting a remaster and it's looking really good, it's coming out in a few days on Steam and ps5?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered_Starring_Lara_Croft/

I'm getting it for my Steamdeck, looks pretty awesome.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-02-08 13:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That feeling when you notice ESG didnt remaster her tiddies for a modern audience

[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-08 13:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Music is one of the best things about these games, also yeah they didn't massacre her. Which is kind of surprising.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-02-08 16:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

As a kid i never finished these even tho I played all of them. It was too hard and annoying to figure out the puzzles lol. I love how they just put the butler in the fridge on their instagram, we were evil to him
[+]
By K123 2024-02-08 17:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hardly remastered. Given a minor graphic refresh cus they can't design any good games more like.
 Bahamut.Noscrying
Server: Bahamut
user: NoScrying
By Bahamut.Noscrying 2024-02-08 17:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
Hardly remastered. Given a minor graphic refresh
Yes, that is what a remaster is.
Remaster, not Remake.
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-08 23:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm almost mad that I'm not mad about the trailer. It looks good.
By K123 2024-02-09 03:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Noscrying said: »
Remaster, not Remake.
Nah, many remasters have taken way more effort than this. Halo 1+2 are remastered not remade.
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2024-02-09 06:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Noscrying said: »
Remaster, not Remake.
Nah, many remasters have taken way more effort than this. Halo 1+2 are remastered not remade.

Yeah, I really have to agree with this. It's nice that they updated her character model. But they could have taken some more effort in hiding the fact that the world is composed entirely of 4 rectangles.

Smarter texture work, some billboards that hide the seams, some additional elements like 3d vines that cover stuff?

There's lower quality efforts too mind you. Sony literally just released Last of Us Part 2 Remastered. It is nigh-identical to the PS4 version on PS5.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-09 06:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's true it could be better but you also have to keep in mind that when more money is spent you have far more corporate oversight, and it will cost more to buy (this is 3 games for £23). Original Tomb Raider is considered an problematic game in 2024, so it's amazing it was even allowed to exist how it is at all. If it does well it might open the door to more in the future, and maybe a proper remake that is faithful to the original.

An updated character model is actually a big deal given how true it is to the original look, and that along with some improved world textures and it working on all current gen hardware for a reasonable price is good enough for me personally. They kept most of the original code (this is part of why they could not do more, it would have caused performance issues) and even kept the old control scheme, so for the smaller fanbase this is as good as it could get.

As much as I love something like FF7R, they are meddling with it on a fundamental level to a fairly annoying degree. more money = more meddling.

If something is a 2-3 (ps1 game with super blocky characters) and they bring it up to a 5-6 for a reasonable price, it's better to enjoy the 5-6 and not be mad it's not a 9-10 imo.
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2024-02-09 06:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
An updated character model is actually a big deal given how true it is to the original look, and that along with some improved world textures and it working on all current gen hardware for a reasonable price is good enough for me personally.

Oh no yeah, I agree with that. They could have dry ported it to a platform and charged the same price for it. They could have done a Mario Galaxy for Switch lazy-ish port. It's good that they did more than the bare min.
 Cerberus.Gillesjboulon
user: gilles
By Cerberus.Gillesjboulon 2024-02-10 13:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Original Tomb Raider is considered an problematic game in 2024
not really, this one had his remake (anniversary)
and if people want to play the original experience on a modern PC, there are alternative (open lara, tomb1main)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By K123 2024-02-11 02:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Melucine said: »
Hardly remastered. Given a minor graphic refresh cus they can't design any good games more like.

Do you know what a Remaster means?
Yes, as per my comment above. Halo 1+2.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 16:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Draylo 2024-02-17 20:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there really a "trigger warning" in the game the original company placed? People that sensitive? lol
By RadialArcana 2024-02-17 21:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah only shows it once when you install though, haven't seen it since.

It's just pandering to twitter.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-17 21:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I was reading it is easy to remove too. However, I keep seeing people say they actually did censor stuff, but I haven't looked into it.
By Draylo 2024-02-17 21:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

But what's it for, like tribal people?
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-17 23:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

That's probably the excuse.

At first I had heard that it was Crystal Dynamics just virtue signalling about the Tomb Raider games they didn't make, but now there is "unified" Laura Croft and videos of people saying Aspyr censored things like Pierre's jacket.

And they wonder why I buy one 5+ year old game at 80% off on steam a year, they all seem scummy.
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-02-17 23:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

Best I could find was it was due to depictions of South Pacific islanders, something about them being portrayed as dancing, using blowguns, and possibly being cannibals in TR3. I assume their character models were stereotypical, as well. It probably doesn't help having a white British woman running around gunning down these people and stealing artifacts, as well.

It's been years since I played any of these games, so I don't personally remember much about them, just what I heard being discussed. It's also a little hard to decipher among all the arguing over the subject, but that is the most consistent information I could find.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-18 07:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't put it there because there was a valid actual reason, they just did it because they are a souless corporation protecting their financial assets from people on twitter who have nothing else to complain about.

The only censorship is they put a bikini on the naked woman on one of the guys leather jackets, and you can't see it anyway cause he is always moving around shooting at you.

As much as I dislike censorship (not like it matters these days, everything is censored at the design stage now), this game wasn't really touched in a way that mattered.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-18 09:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't put it there because there was a valid actual reason, they just did it because they are a souless corporation protecting their financial assets from people on twitter who have nothing else to complain about.

The only censorship is they put a bikini on the naked woman on one of the guys leather jackets, and you can't see it anyway cause he is always moving around shooting at you.

As much as I dislike censorship (not like it matters these days, everything is censored at the design stage now), this game wasn't really touched in a way that mattered.

If you can't see it anyway, and it doesn't really matter, why bother changing it? Especially if it's in the original version still on Steam.

If that's the line for you, cool; Any is too much for me.

Edit: I'm pretty over this double standard of "it was significant enough to change, but so insignificant that I shouldn't be mad about it."
By RadialArcana 2024-02-18 10:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »
If you can't see it anyway, and it doesn't really matter, why bother changing it? Especially if it's in the original version still on Steam.

Twitch streamers.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-18 10:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »

Twitch streamers.

So it was significant and does matter, to Twitch.

Edit: Twitch has a section for each of the OG Tomb Raiders, are you not allowed to stream it because of a jacket?

Edit2: Also, not my problem. Stop changing crap for corporate retards and Twitch "mods" like the dumbass that thinks they are a deer.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-18 12:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Back when the game first came out, having a guy wearing a leather jacket with a woman with her *** out didn't matter cause the audience was very uniform and pretty much everyone liked that. They only had to sneak it past the rating board, which was really easy.

Today you not only have the people who buy the game (which is far more diverse), but you have to deal with the twitch and youtube audiences that will consume the product of that stream and potentially be mad and cause a stink on social media (which matters to public companies cause it can hurt stock prices). You also have the streamers themselves being mad, because they gotta get that adrev from the most milktoast companies on earth, I remember seeing Asmongold really mad cause a video has some loltit in it and he immediately contacted his twitch manager and all other stuff to make sure to ToS break. Also companies like Sony, Nintendo etc probably knew it was there and asked for it to be changed or would have blocked it, companies never used to care so much in the past but they are laser focused on stuff like this now.

Considering the way things are it's understandable certain things that don't matter were changed, nobody wanted to die on a hill over a jacket. However if they changed something more important they they would have.

Censorship annoys me but the thing that really annoys me is knowing all these companies censor everything really hard at the design stage now. Only time you know something was censored is if it's old or from another nation without puritans in positions of control.

Asmongold clip (warning lolboob), that shows how streamers react when they see something against the ToS. It's a funny clip, but it shows the reaction these people who effectively now act as the marketing dept for these games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGOnSjyqkc
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-18 13:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Back when the game first came out, having a guy wearing a leather jacket with a woman with her *** out didn't matter cause the audience was very uniform and pretty much everyone liked that. They only had to sneak it past the rating board, which was really easy.

Today you not only have the people who buy the game (which is far more diverse), but you have to deal with the twitch and youtube audiences that will consume the product of that stream and potentially be mad and cause a stink on social media (which matters to public companies cause it can hurt stock prices). You also have the streamers themselves being mad, because they gotta get that adrev from the most milktoast companies on earth, I remember seeing Asmongold really mad cause a video has some loltit in it and he immediately contacted his twitch manager and all other stuff to make sure to ToS break. Also companies like Sony, Nintendo etc probably knew it was there and asked for it to be changed or would have blocked it, companies never used to care so much in the past but they are laser focused on stuff like this now.

Considering the way things are it's understandable certain things that don't matter were changed, nobody wanted to die on a hill over a jacket. However if they changed something more important they they would have.

Censorship annoys me but the thing that really annoys me is knowing all these companies censor everything really hard at the design stage now. Only time you know something was censored is if it's old or from another nation without puritans in positions of control.

Asmongold clip (warning lolboob), that shows how streamers react when they see something against the ToS. It's a funny clip, but it shows the reaction these people who effectively now act as the marketing dept for these games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGOnSjyqkc

And none of that matters to me.

Censorship by groupthink is still censorship. Stream it on a platform that cares less. Push back on it.

You get what you tolerate, and your hoop jumping about how you like the boot because it's trampling you lightly this time is silly.

Edit: Do what you want with your money. Justifying this to others annoys me, especially when you start with "I usually hate censorship;" If you have to caveat it, you are already a hypocrite. It's less egregious, that does not mean it's good.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-18 13:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not winning anything, they do it all at the design stage now anyway. So unless you refuse to buy anything new you're already supporting it.
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2024-02-18 13:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not winning anything, they do it all at the design stage now anyway. So unless you refuse to buy anything new you're already supporting it.

So support it more? Nah, I'm good. Edit: If they changed something in the design phase, and there is no leak of it, I can't possibly know what changed and what didn't. If it hit release and then was changed, I can damn sure not support it.

Edit2: I never said I was winning anything. You stated it wasn't a big deal, I said it was to Twitch, and you're replies have been "but it's like this everywhere now." It's like that because more people state it's not a big deal than I do. If anything, I'm losing, bad.
First Page 2