users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Velocity Shot
Velocity Shot
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-06-25 13:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Can the 15% "melee slow" effect be compensated with gear haste, or is it "job ability slow", if that's even a thing? Knowing JA haste is a thing, I suppose I never bothered to think if JA slow was also a thing.

Mainly asking because I want to know if I can keep velocity shot on and overcap haste to compensate for the -15% melee slow to use kraken OH for Flaming Arrow spam.

TIA.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2023-06-25 20:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

slow is multiplicative with haste, there is no way to overcome that
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-06-25 21:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

assuming this is dyna? You really don't need the Vshot for hotshot with hovershot, its maybe a couple more stacks to hit capped damage. I would just let the K club go and volume do the work. at least that's been my experience in dyna on rng with my club.
[+]
By LightningHelix 2023-06-26 10:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
slow is multiplicative with haste, there is no way to overcome that
...wouldn't that suggest you could overcome it if you had enough haste that 0.85*haste = cap on magic haste? Or do you mean it's multiplicative well after all the haste calculation is done?
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-06-26 10:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
assuming this is dyna? You really don't need the Vshot for hotshot with hovershot, its maybe a couple more stacks to hit capped damage. I would just let the K club go and volume do the work. at least that's been my experience in dyna on rng with my club.

Twas, and I ended up forgoing VS entirely. Volume was definitely the answer here, and most Flaming Arrows were high dmg if not capped on trash, wasn't doing great on bosses.

I still prefer Gastra/TF spam, but it was nice to spam a different WS for once.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-26 10:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah now I'm kinda curious myself. Does the Slow multiply the value before or after it's capped? Because if it's before, then you can overcome it by overstacking. But if it's after, then you're out of luck.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-06-26 10:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

Twas, and I ended up forgoing VS entirely. Volume was definitely the answer here, and most Flaming Arrows were high dmg if not capped on trash, wasn't doing great on bosses.

I still prefer Gastra/TF spam, but it was nice to spam a different WS for once.

Hopefully my response helped. I don't know a lot of other kclub rngs so it's fun to discuss it a little as its a pretty niche situation
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-06-26 11:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Yeah now I'm kinda curious myself. Does the Slow multiply the value before or after it's capped? Because if it's before, then you can overcome it by overstacking. But if it's after, then you're out of luck.

I did some unscientific testing with Melon Slicer (450 Delay) on /SAM and /DRK to see if JA haste would counter the 15% slow.

60 second slices, No MA, capped gear haste, 0 magic haste in all scenarios:

No JAs used: 11s (0% haste/slow)
Hasso: 13s (10% JA haste)
Last Resort: 14s (15% JA haste)
Velocity Shot: 9s (15% "melee" slow)
Hasso + Velocity Shot: 9s (10% JA haste, 15% "melee" slow)
Last Resort + Velocity Shot: 10s (15% JA haste, 15% "melee" slow)

Based on what I found above, it doesn't seem like the JA haste from Hasso or LR directly counters Velocity Shot's "melee" slow, nor does VS increase melee weapon delay (TP gain stays the same), but LR did reduce overall time between attacks. I assume Hasso did as well, it just wasn't enough to get another swing in the 60 second window.

I think the "melee" slow is just a special bucket with a different calculation than gear/magic/JA haste.

Edit: Clarifications
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-06-26 11:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully my response helped. I don't know a lot of other kclub rngs so it's fun to discuss it a little as its a pretty niche situation

It did, thanks ^^. Normally I reserve klub for savage blading, but my LS mates take on Flaming Arrow was to treat it like Jinpu and just spam, so planned on meleeing for TP last night.

One of my favorite things about RNG is NOT being on the front line, eating AOEs to the face, so I tend to shoot for TP in most content. 2 ranged attacks with Gastra and SAMs roll is enough to pop off a WS, and that's about the same amount of time it takes for 2 melee attack rounds with klub to get TP. I think klub pulls ahead in those times it does 6+ swings and you can WS again after a single attack round though.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2023-06-26 17:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

It did, thanks ^^. Normally I reserve klub for savage blading, but my LS mates take on Flaming Arrow was to treat it like Jinpu and just spam, so planned on meleeing for TP last night.

One of my favorite things about RNG is NOT being on the front line, eating AOEs to the face, so I tend to shoot for TP in most content. 2 ranged attacks with Gastra and SAMs roll is enough to pop off a WS, and that's about the same amount of time it takes for 2 melee attack rounds with klub to get TP. I think klub pulls ahead in those times it does 6+ swings and you can WS again after a single attack round though.

We have very different play styles I love being on the front lines on rng. I generally use gasta on trash and 1 shot them at 1500-1800 tp then swap to foma and use hot shot on nms building hover stack shots with my ws. I generally find meleeing for tp to be far faster and consistent than ranged attacks unless weakened. Then I'll pop double shot and use ranged attacks until weakness falls off to keep up the dmg(this works on cor aswell especially with triple shot and an arise lol)
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-06-26 17:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

We have very different play styles I love being on the front lines on rng. I generally use gasta on trash and 1 shot them at 1500-1800 tp then swap to foma and use hot shot on nms building hover stack shots with my ws. I generally find meleeing for tp to be far faster and consistent than ranged attacks unless weakened. Then I'll pop double shot and use ranged attacks until weakness falls off to keep up the dmg(this works on cor aswell especially with triple shot and an arise lol)

I getcha, I just spend so much time on melee jobs, I like chilling with the mages every now and then.