Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 55 56 57
By clearlyamule 2018-01-13 15:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but I don't have to like it!
By clearlyamule 2018-01-13 16:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Also since you mention income... the bottom 40% on average actually pay negative federal income tax. Sure there are things like state, local, disability etc... but they are also the ones that need and getting transfers/aid that counter that.

So having a net gain in terms of government oriented "help" isn't really that crazy. If I a made a little... or they actually accounted for the cost of crazy living here and I bothered that could be me lol. Actually I think I do qualify for housing assistance because *** bay area housing market
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-13 16:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

For all this talk of how the new tax plan only helps the rich, I sure am hearing a lot of examples (both in the news and personally) of low to middle class people getting wage increases, bonuses, etc.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-13 19:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
For all this talk of how the new tax plan only helps the rich, I sure am hearing a lot of examples (both in the news and personally) of low to middle class people getting wage increases, bonuses, etc.
Like wallmart giving raises that still don't lift workers out of poverty? Or their $1,000 bonuses to workers with 20 years seniority?

/rolleyes

The real test will be stuff like how many airlines order new Boeing equipment. And that, BTW, is happening.

Interestingly enough the accelerated depreciation in the tax bill will mean increased spending on automation equipment, but there is not a single gimme for hiring people.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-14 00:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Like wallmart giving raises that still don't lift workers out of poverty? Or their $1,000 bonuses to workers with 20 years seniority?

/rolleyes

That's only the tip of the iceberg, but I'm going to go off on that for a minute anyway because it's that same attitude that killed the Democrats in the rust belt. You know what hasn't lifted people out of poverty? High tax rates and hand outs. While you guys are constantly, constantly moaning that it's never enough, millions of people are connecting the dots that a Republican tax plan directly translated to them having more money in their wallets. When you consider that what most people got for the past 8 years were higher healthcare bills, an unforced raise of any kind means a lot to your average Joe even if a Wal-Mart greeter still can't afford to feed a family of four while also living in a nice house in the suburbs.

So do me a favor and stop whining about small gains from trickle down economics, because it's more than the bloated diddly squat coming from your end of the aisle. Middle class citizens like me, who live in blue states that try to screw us out of every penny we have, need every break we can get. It's ironic that in blue states where electricity rates are insanely high thanks in part to ridiculous regulations, the one thing offering any sort of relief in nearby areas is this freaking tax bill.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-14 10:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Rav I live in the red half of a blue state. I have the second cheapest electric costs in the country as well as fiber to my rural wall. This is because we have a PUD.

Some background. I used to live in New York city. At one point the city bailed out its power provider, Consolidated Edison, for more that the sum total of its stock was worth. ("You can't call them con ed for nothing, you have to pay them.")

I have also lived in Florida. The FL state legislature is a wholly owned subsidiary of Florida Power and Light. Both parties.

It ain't the regulations. Its lobbying and "campaign contributions."

P. S. If you used to itemize your "tax relief" will be eaten up by the reduced SALT deduction.
By fonewear 2018-01-14 10:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Rav I live in the red half of a blue state. I have the second cheapest electric costs in the country as well as fiber to my rural wall. This is because we have a PUD.

Some background. I used to live in New York city. At one point the city bailed out its power provider, Consolidated Edison, for more that the sum total of its stock was worth. ("You can't call them con ed for nothing, you have to pay them.")

I have also lived in Florida. The FL state legislature is a wholly owned subsidiary of Florida Power and Light. Both parties.

It ain't the regulations. Its lobbying and "campaign contributions."

P. S. If you used to itemize your "tax relief" will be eaten up by the reduced SALT deduction.

You live in the cabin in the woods that the Una bomber built ?
By fonewear 2018-01-14 10:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you also write a dissertation on Boundary Functions that maybe 3 people in the world would understand ?
By fonewear 2018-01-14 10:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure Chanti is the Una Bomber.
By fonewear 2018-01-14 10:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the Una Bomber should run in 2020. I'm pretty sure he is still alive. So he bombed some people and sent threatening letters to the New York Times. Hell that is reason enough for me to vote for him.
By fonewear 2018-01-14 10:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Also this is just pure awesome:

In 2012, Kaczynski responded to the Harvard Alumni Association's directory inquiry for the fiftieth reunion of the class of 1962; he listed his occupation as "prisoner" and his eight life sentences as "awards"
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-14 12:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

"Shithole"
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-01-14 15:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to know how calling a country a shithole is racists? He did not say the people are black, or yellow or brown. He said the country was a shithole (if thats true).

You ever been to Africa? I have and its a shithole. Ever been to Irag or Afghanistan? I have they too are shitholes. Turkey... mostly a shithole.

I hope this is a Trump spin I really do. Because now they are arguing saying these are beautiful countries with great people. So whats the excuses now for illegals not to go back to them? Dems said they beautiful so it must be true? Why would anyone leave a beautiful country with great people?
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-14 15:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
I'd like to know how calling a country a shithole is racists? He did not say the people are black, or yellow or brown. He said the country was a shithole (if thats true).

You ever been to Africa? I have and its a shithole. Ever been to Irag or Afghanistan? I have they too are shitholes. Turkey... mostly a shithole.

I hope this is a Trump spin I really do. Because now they are arguing saying these are beautiful countries with great people. So whats the excuses now for illegals not to go back to them? Dems said they beautiful so it must be true? Why would anyone leave a beautiful country with great people?

It's the truth but because Trump said it people are outraged. I dare anyone to spend like a month in Haiti you wouuld rather jump in the ocean.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2018-01-14 15:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

africas not a country slore
By fonewear 2018-01-14 15:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
africas not a country slore

His point is still true though.
By fonewear 2018-01-14 15:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The closest I've been to a shithole is Detroit. And trust me it looked like a 3rd world country.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2018-01-14 22:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We need to stop Justin Biebler !

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2018-01-15 07:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Odin.Slore said: »

It's the truth but because Trump said it people are outraged. I dare anyone to spend like a month in Haiti you wouuld rather jump in the ocean.

Except he didn't say it. Everyone at the meeting including Jeff Flake who despises Trump denies he ever said it. One Democrat Senator, *** Durbin, told the media that Trump said it and they happily ran with it for days on end and likely killed any DACA deal which they probably never wanted anyway.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-15 08:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't help that Durbin has a history of embellishing and/or outright lying about such things, and that the only other senator even remotely close to corroborating it used similar language to describe such countries himself in the past.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-15 09:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But let's take a look at what was gained by through Durbin's account:

1. It dispelled any myths that Trump was caving on immigration. Trump supporters elected him primarily for his tough immigration stance. It's likely they thought it was hilarious or flat out didn't care. Net gain for Trump.
2. Trump haters are fueled yet again by the outrage machine. No change there.
3. Officials in countries that can't take care of their own people are now mad. No change there.
4. Illegal immigrants who didn't vote for Trump will likely not vote for Trump. No change there.

So, what exactly does harping on this remark do to hurt Trump?
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-15 10:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

1. It dispelled any myths that Trump was caving on immigration. Trump supporters elected him primarily for his tough immigration stance. It's likely they thought it was hilarious or flat out didn't care. Net gain for Trump.
3. Officials in countries that can't take care of their own people are now mad. No change there.
4. Illegal immigrants who didn't vote for Trump will likely not vote for Trump. No change there.

*** Durbin Turban... sounds like a terrorist.
By fonewear 2018-01-15 10:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
momma said we was good kids.

It's amazing that you even exist such a thing should not be possible !
By fonewear 2018-01-15 10:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy MLK day umm we shall overcome...or something !
By Nausi 2018-01-15 13:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I have repeatedly asked over the past few days why it is America's obligation to take in immigrates from shitholes that will overwhelmingly and definitively saturate our welfare rolls?

The best response I have gotten is that we just need to take in the worlds poor because we need to import these people to drive cabs and pick strawberries.
[+]
By Nausi 2018-01-15 13:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

On the other hand the subject of the conversation has now shifted to "why do we need to import an underclass?"

To which no liberal really wants to provide an answer too.
By fonewear 2018-01-15 13:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I use illegal immigrants sometimes to post for me on FFXIAH...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-15 13:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Graham: ‘My memory hasn’t evolved’ on Trump ‘shithole’ meeting
Politico.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-15 13:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi said: »
I have repeatedly asked over the past few days why it is America's obligation to take in immigrates from shitholes that will overwhelmingly and definitively saturate our welfare rolls?

The best response I have gotten is that we just need to take in the worlds poor because we need to import these people to drive cabs and pick strawberries.

We need to bring them in to produce future Democrat voter's.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 55 56 57