Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 17:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Nerd rage

See? This is the type of guy I was talking about.

He thinks it's supposed to be just for him.

I promise you it's just as great for kids today as it was for you as a kid. But this can't be as good for you as the Original trilogy was for you as a kid.

It's not for you. You're too old. Your ability to suspend disbelief has been completely obliterated. You've been subjected to adult cynicism.

Go ahead. Throw around that "nostalgic fanboy" claim all you want - those people have a better vision of what Star Wars should look like than J.J. Abrams or anyone at Disney does

I am a nostalgic fanboy. I simply have the self-awareness to know I can enjoy it for what it is or rage against a pop culture phenomenon against which I will have exactly zero effect.

This is the same ***as the people who cried about the ME3 ending because it was exactly how they wanted it. And I consider it one of the most cowardly moves in writing for Bioware to cave and change their vision because of fan feedback.

You'll note how it stopped exactly zero people from complaining about Andromeda, rightly deserved criticism or not.

If you don't like a thing, make your own. If it's good enough to please the masses, people will buy it. If it's not, but you're still proud of what you've done, then it's still a success in its own right.

But directing all your rage at a Hollywood juggernaut is misguided, at best.

Please realize, I know where you're coming from. This is hard even for me. I despise some very, very well-selling, lucrative sci-fi/fantasy brands. I've talked endless ***on them.

You know what it achieved?

***-all nothing.

Like it for what it is or leave it peacefully for people who do while you move on.

I swear with the way people act about Star Wars translates to how the react when an SO changes/breaks up with them it's amazing there are more people beat to death with Force FX lightsabers.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 17:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

And for all the haters, I really like Kylo Ren. I like his tantrums and his barely contained rage. It is so much of what I feel the Dark Side is, and I think the actor does an awesome job with it.

Maybe it is because I have a 3 year old.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-10-12 18:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kylo is what Anakin should have been in the prequels.

Adam Driver does the teen angst properly, whereas Hayden's Anakin just comes off as whiney. Though it could be down to George giving bad direction in Episodes 2/3.

Someone referred to Kylo as Darth Columbine. He gives off the trenchoat shooter vibe for sure. I can't see Anakin doing all the horrible things he allegedly did with Hayden acting, but I can totally see Kylo Ren killing a bunch of jedi trainees in Luke's nascent academy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-10-12 18:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, I'm willing to forgive the angsty teen bad guy for the first movie of a trilogy, but the key to being a memorable Sith is to simply be awesome. Angsty teen ≠ awesome, no matter how powerful he is. Some character development is in order, and hopefully he'll keep his helmet on this time.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 19:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it was poor form how quickly Lucas discarded Darth Maul. I also thought the Jedi should have figured out who the Sith Lord was sooner... Just search the classifies for "Seeking New Apprentice... Try-outs held annually."
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-10-12 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Spaceballs: The Projected Insecurity Role-Playing Game

Ah, I see.
You have absolutely no clue how to process honest criticism.

Anyone who disagrees with your narrow scope of the Star Wars universe are nerd ragers and everyone that agrees with your opinion is an old world philosopher of the highest caliber. It's a shame, really, because I can see. You want to stand up and scream, "IT'S ***" in front of a full audience and receive a standing ovation; but you lack the balls/overused symbolic part of anatomy/spine to do so. You've realized that there's too many happy idiots to compete with in order to make a well-received point - so you hold your tongue. You don't want to sit & spin, but you've been forced to do it for so long that the only part of you that knows good from bad comes out as some kind of passive-aggression against the points that you wish you could make without being seen as unpopular for making them.

So you do what everyone else does:
You sit and take a huge bite out of a ***sandwich and you love it.

I pity you.

Seriously though, were you actually running down a check-list of every overused 'Murcianism slogan you can find?
I think you forgot "love it or leave it" and "gotta do what you gotta do" as an educated response to any given statement.
That's fine, however; because my critique was not written for you, but for everyone else that isn't you who also agrees with me.

Everyone hates the taste of their own medicine.

You see, there's a difference betwixt us: I have no fear of holding an unpopular opinion if it's right. I don't pander to the sensitive needs of a small handful of chronic shitposters. I don't need your upvote validations and I have no fear of being blocked by the average knuckle-dragger from Asura with 30,000 posts about mindless *** nothing. We're all just shitposting here, by your logic - nothing anyone says or does makes a difference to ObeyGiant. I can embrace that, but I have the integrity to deliver something worth reading. Something that people actually take their time to write a response to. A compelling post that moves and interacts with the audience in a way that others cannot; reaching out and touching your deepest emotions, just so you can vent them through your keyboard.

Because nothing matters and it makes no difference to anyone.

You know why you achieved ***-nothing for your whining and moaning?
I'll let you in a little secret:

You didn't try hard enough.
You didn't complain loud enough.
You didn't see the changes that you wanted fast enough.

You gave up, like every other pussy-whipped consumer that knows what a steaming pile of ***looks like but is too afraid to call it what is.
You're afraid of looking like an idiot in a world full of retards.

See? I can project a load of *** too.
You let me know when I'm raging and I'll let you know when you're right.

Ramyrez said: »
I promise you it's just as great for kids today as it was for you as a kid.

I disagree.

Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 19:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Though it could be down to George giving bad direction in Episodes 2/3.

And the script. "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" was so cringy and contrived.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-10-12 19:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
I always thought it was poor form how quickly Lucas discarded Darth Maul. I also thought the Jedi should have figured out who the Sith Lord was sooner... Just search the classifies for "Seeking New Apprentice... Try-outs held annually."

Aside from the overly-choreographed dance fighting in Episode I, Maul was a welcome addition. That's probably why they extended his storyline in the Clone Wars.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Eh, I'm willing to forgive the angsty teen bad guy for the first movie of a trilogy, but the key to being a memorable Sith is to simply be awesome. Angsty teen ≠ awesome, no matter how powerful he is. Some character development is in order, and hopefully he'll keep his helmet on this time.
At least he isn't crying. Like Crying McCriesalot.

Also, the stormtroopers in this trilogy aren't a bunch of DRK-accurate retards this time.

Speaking of which:

Hissy Fit.
There's only one person who's allowed to throw a hissy fit here:

[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 19:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Maul was cool as hell. All respect to Christopher Lee but I would have rather had Darth Maul throughout the prequels. Instead they created 3 mini bosses in Maul, Dooku and Grievous.

A story's villains are just as important as its heroes and need to be developed as such.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
A story's heroes are just as important as its villains and need to be developed as such.
Naw, the Star Wars villains are the main reason why the series is so great.

Still would have wanted a Thrawn thrown in, hell, just for cameo purposes!
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 19:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Naw, the Star Wars villains are the main reason why the series is so great.

Still would have wanted a Thrawn thrown in, hell, just for cameo purposes!

I edited my wording, but yeah agreed.

Star Wars is iconic because of Darth Vader, not Luke Skywalker.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, stormtroopers are more iconic than Luke Frogface Skywalker.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-10-12 19:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The average knuckle-dragger from Asura with 30,000 posts about mindless *** nothing said: »
There's only one person who's allowed to throw a hissy fit here:

And here I was hoping for a picture of Shia LaBeouf or a quote from one of Saevel's summoner nerf rants.

I will say one good thing, of the newer movies, regarding Rogue One - which I also waited a year and watched for free -
albeit with slightly less disappointment than Force Awakens.

They came so close to integrating Dark Forces into cannon with Jan Ors (Jyn Erso). Even if they said *** it, let's kill both main characters off after they finish their mission - it would've been great. It doesn't make much sense having Kyle Katarn floating around in a world with no Jedi Temple and no Jedi Academy, in the mess they made out of the story that could've been. They should've thrown the old crotchety *** like me a bone and gave us that small tidbit that only Star Wars gamers in their thirties would understand. It'd be fresh and new to everyone else that's into the new Star Wars.

(Read as: Eight year olds hopped up on mood stabilizers and xanex.)

Yes, I'm literally saying that the writing for Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was better than Force Awakens.
The movie direction, writing, and casting in Dark Forces 2 was better than Force Awakens.

I don't know if you're old enough to get any of these references, but I'm being extremely cruel.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 19:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I think Christopher Lee was wasted on Count Dooku. It would have been better to give him a smaller, more meaningful role. Like Darth Plagueis... He could show up while Anakin is a burning, cut-up mess, "Son, I am disappoint." And then do some dark force voodoo on him to keep him together before disappearing into the fire and smoke for whatever plots he is working on his own.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boy, I can't wait for the mods to show up and clean this mess!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Yeah, I think Christopher Lee was wasted on Count Dooku.
I don't know, I think he was still badass in Episode II.

Only to get punked in Episode III.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 19:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Dooku didn't really do anything. He chopped off Anakin's hand only to get decapitated within the first 5 minutes of the next movie.

The audience was invested in Maul. He killed Qui-Gon and established himself as a real villain, which could have turned into some great character development and a revenge arc for Obi-Wan (and by extension Anakin) over the next two movies. Only to get bisected 5 minutes later.

Both villains could have had great arcs built around them but they wasted them both.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 19:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, both of them could have used a little more character development.

I still think Dooku vs. Yoda is better than Maul vs. Qui-Gon/Kenobi
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 19:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh absolutely. I remember on premiere night when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber and the theater went *** nuts like it was yesterday.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 19:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was one of the odd balls that was hoping for a more spiritual fight than physical. Yeah, Yoda flipping around was okay, I guess. But I expected more.
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-10-12 19:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

>Character Development
>Special Effects

Choose only one.
By anik 2017-10-12 20:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So, has everyone given up on the theory that jar jar binks is behind everything, the dark lord of dark lords, drunken master unknowing ruler of evil?
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 20:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Snoke is Jar Jar would be funny...
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 20:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Snoke is Jar Jar would be the biggest reveal in Star Wars history.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 20:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Snoke is Jar Jar is Darth Plageuis... I was behind the couch the whole time, voting power to an evil Emperor so I could watch his back-stabbing plans burn!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 20:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By anik 2017-10-12 20:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I always found, for me, the best stories were those of reluctance or unwitting resilience, by chance or divine design, the force. I really wouldn't mind if jar jar was behind everything, as long as he had no idea. However, if he was in control, that would be a disappointment. I would like to see the story as if THE FORCE was acting through JAR JAR without his sensing it or feeling it, rather than JAR JAR wielding THE FORCE.

It's a very Zen flesh Zen bones EASTERN Philosophical turn, which would fit in with STAR WARS.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 21:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
Maul was cool as hell. All respect to Christopher Lee but I would have rather had Darth Maul throughout the prequels. Instead they created 3 mini bosses in Maul, Dooku and Grievous.

In the grand scheme I tend to agree, though I still think the Dooku-Yoda duel was the high point of the prequels, the bar admittedly not set incredibly high.

words

I'm sorry your precious childhood was ruined by the mean man substituting his beard for a chin and jawline.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12