users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » ISP help
ISP help
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 18:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Something i would have thought simple enough, but im a bit lost and could use some explinations.

Right now i have verizon. I signed up for it after my father died and i moved to PA. My plan (internet wise) is for a 50Mbps/50Mbps and as far as i know unlimited usage.

But the area im getting rdy to move to is not a verizon service area so im guessing ill have to change. Comcast does serve the area but im not eager to switch to them.

So i was looking for any other options (and boy is that list short). But what i keep coming across is a price/usage plan that i dont fully understand (havnt dealt with before).

This page provides a good example of it. And they all seem to be similar. First there advertising as a 12MBPS/3MBPS. Which seems like a hell of a decline from 50/50, so i imagine im missing something there.
Second is the buying of plans data (as if it were a cell phone). You can see things listed like the evolution 10 'unlimited access to email and webpages, plus 10 gigs for everything else'. A hard wall limit? I havnt seen that before out side of cell phones. More so, i have no idea what my usage even is in those terms per month. No idea how much games like ffxi would take up.

Or companies like Kuhncom. Aadvertising for services of '1.5 meg / 768k uplink' through '25 meg w/powerburst / 3 meg uplink (certain restrictions apply)'
 Bahamut.Jezard
Server: Bahamut
user: Dre
By Bahamut.Jezard 2015-11-29 20:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I would just go with comcast. Satalite is horrible for any type of gaming. Those price are insanely bad also for what they give you.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 20:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

there are some that arnt satellite but that page was just a good example of what i was trying to describe.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-29 22:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd avoid anything with any sort of wireless transmission. Satellite is the worst offender as your signal gets to go to space and back which tacks on quite a bit of latency. It's fine for watching TV but for gaming it's a nightmare.

Comcast is basically evil in ISP form but it's probably better than the other options you have, unless you can get back in to verizon territory. Not that they are perfect but the beat the hell out of TWC and Comcast. It'll at least give you decent service 'most' of the time.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 12:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

even centerylink only has a 10mbps in that area. 35/month or 62/month with phone service.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-11-30 12:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Avoid comcast if you can, they're straight ***. No unlimited data. If I remember they charge you every 1gb you go over the limit and they had a 300gb data cap. They used to send me 2 bills a month, and told me they like to send bills early, but they would add onto the next one like what?

So I just gave them up and went with ATT and been with them since, and not really many issues, aside from the random modem reseting itself sometimes around 1-2am <.<, but unlimited data, which is nice but only with U-Verse. I pay 83 a month for 50mb DL/5MB UP which isn' that bad I guess.
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 12:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Comcast is fine if the area is deregulated so they have to offer competitive service. However, as Lenus said, make sure you look at their fine print to see if you are in an area with their experimental data caps, which is something that I am dealing with right now.

I have a 300gb cap that I didn't know about, and while under just my load that's more than enough, I share internet with 3 other people. When you hit an overage they charge you for a 50GB block of data. The real problem is that there is no in between size. it is either 300gb or unlimited(for 30 to 35 more dollars a month, which is insane).
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 12:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

att is not even available in that area it seems..

When i got this place i never thought that this would be giving me so much trouble.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 13:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

with all these hard cap for data, it bears me the question.. how the hell do i even determine the amount i generally use each month?
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 13:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
with all these hard cap for data, it bears me the question.. how the hell do i even determine the amount i generally use each month?
windows 10 keeps track of it for me. I alone used 50gb this month, but easily half of that was fallout 4.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 14:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

damn.. this is going to be a problem.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-30 14:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

One can usually login and see their usage with comcast, personally I have a router that can also track it.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 14:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
One can usually login and see their usage with comcast
yeah, this also works for tracking, but it is usually at least a day behind.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-30 14:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally refuse to use limited data. But for now I have that luxury.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-11-30 14:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll have to divide them from videos you watch(youtube etc), stuff you dl, streams you might be watching, and I believe watching streams eat alot of the data.

I myself love to watch streams alot on twitch, have people in the house doing youtube or netflix alot. So I'm glad to even had unlimited data or I'd be *** for bills lol.

Also the comcast reps would usually tell you they don't have data caps or ever heard of one, just so you buy their stuff. Its one of the reasons why i chose it in the first place cause I didn't know anyone who had comcast before.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 15:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Lenus said: »
Also the comcast reps would usually tell you they don't have data caps or ever heard of one
I had no idea I had a data cap. I was mad.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 15:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

tried contacting verizon to see if they could tell me my avg data usage a month. After being bounced around, they told em they dont have that information since its an unlimited plan im on.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-11-30 15:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually was lol. The rep on the phone told me they didn't. The guy who came to install just said he doesn't know. So after he installed and made my account, I went to the website and checked it out myself, saw I had a data cap, I phone'd back the same day.

They told me they will give me a discount for 6 months, so I'd stick around, and it was about 10 dollars less than what I was gonna pay. Like maybe 70+? So even with the discount, it was still gonna be alot cause of overdata usage.

But if you don't have multiple people in the house using it for mass dling or streaming w/e, I'd say try out comcast. Just a shitty situation if you use more than what you have.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 15:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

so far, short of looking into comcast, centerylink has the best offer so far and thats still a 10mbps top speed. But the dont mention any data cap. I get the feeling im gonna be screwed no matter what...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 18:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

can someone clarify what comcasts "TV and Internet Service limited to a single outlet." means?
Only putting in one box(receptical/modem/whatever) but can hook up everything through that? Cause if you cant hook up more then one tv, or more then one comp then they got a problem.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 19:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

was looking at comcasts website to see what they offered. This time it said nothing available in my new area. So i called them up to check. After fighting with there automated system, the guy tried to transfer me to another person, thought it was through and then hung up. Of course it wasnt through and the call just ended. (essentially hanging up on me). Called back and got through, the new guy said it was available in that area and theyve had customers there within the last year so they much service it. Not sure why the site said other wise.

Comcast; Great reputation, Great first impression. -_-
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [76 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-02-15 12:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

sly ***.. comcast uses a combined router/modem. Gives the router free but charges for the modem -_-
By Jetackuu 2016-02-15 18:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You can always buy your own of both, and I personally recommend it. It's better than paying their monthly fee.

Also then you have full control of your router, which is nice. (Granted you can always get your own router anyway, but still).
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2016-03-12 09:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Case an point why I tell people verizon is the best. So many companys do not even want to look at fiber internet. There are only two big companys in the us I know that have fiber to any great degree Verizon and google. Once google get fully going in all 50, We will be calling verizon old. But what google is offering if they can hold that will change internet in the US for ever or till new forms of internet better then fiber are made.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-03-13 19:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt no google was an isp.

Sylph.Kawar said: »
So many companys do not even want to look at fiber internet.
whats the difference?
By Jetackuu 2016-03-13 21:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fiber has the potential for unlimited speeds, however currently it really depends on the service offered, and the tier. You probably wouldn't be able to get it in your area.

Also, check your PM.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2016-03-13 21:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

yea the only thing in my new area is comcast or small time providers. (kinds that have 'up to 10mb speeds' and charge by the data used. No verizon at all, thats why i had to cancel them. No real choice