users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Gardening in stupid RL
Gardening in stupid RL
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 20:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
oleander.

I'm gonna have to look into this. Does it keep bugs away as well?

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
"lily of the valley"
If even a few of those come up they spread like a weed.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 09:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
they give no shits lol.

This is verifiably false.

Deer ***all over the place!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-22 09:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I think my yard is going to be a multi-year project that will barely get started this year. It's honestly pretty beat with not-great soil. For an actual garden I'll need to set up a planter area with soil brought in, which won't be too bad...

But as for the actual lawn, it's kinda beat and once I've got a garden and fire pit in place we'll see how I feel about actually getting a lawn that is shitty-looking crabgrass.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-22 09:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
The deer prevent me from having a garden.
Oleander, lavender and (as ugly as they are) marigolds. Marigolds supposedly keep mosquitoes away, too.
Sorry, lavender is native here and I have some within a few feet of a plum tree that the deer stripped last year.

I wonder if I can buy big cat turds from a zoo.

Grumpy Cat said: »
Japanese Beetles are the WORST.
Pretty though. Fortunately I don't have them here.
Specifically I'm curious as to if the stuff that said "guaranteed to grow", will in fact grow.
If they are hard and not squishy, good chance they will grow. My wife digs up bulbs every year and puts them in the basement for winter. It is crazy how dead a bulb looks after a year in the basement, but they still grow like mad.
its not that they were light, they were just dry as ***. particularly the "lily of the valley" i planted. even though they came in a bag of peat moss, it was pretty devoid of moisture.
Lack of observable moisture isn't a problem, the moisture is locked inside. That's why the light as a feather ones are dead, no internal moisture.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-22 10:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

oleander.

I'm gonna have to look into this. Does it keep bugs away as well?
Checked it out for you Alti.

From the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerium:

Quote:
Nerium oleander /ˈnɪəriəm ˈoʊliː.ændər/[3] is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the dogbane family Apocynaceae, toxic in all its parts. It is the only species currently classified in the genus Nerium. It is most commonly known as oleander, from its superficial resemblance to the unrelated olive Olea.[Note 1] It is so widely cultivated that no precise region of origin has been identified, though southwest Asia has been suggested. The ancient city of Volubilis in Morocco may have taken its name from the Berber name oualilt for the flower.[4] Oleander is one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants.

N. oleander is either native or naturalized to a broad area from Mauritania, Morocco, and Portugal eastward through the Mediterranean region and the Sahara (where it is only found sporadically), to the Arabian peninsula, southern Asia, and as far East as Yunnan in southern parts of China.[5][6][7][8] It typically occurs around dry stream beds. Nerium oleander is planted in many subtropical and tropical areas of the world. On the East Coast of the US, it grows as far north as Virginia Beach, Virginia, while in California and Texas it is naturalized as a median strip planting.[citation needed] Because of its durability, Oleander was planted prolifically on Galveston Island in Texas after the disastrous Hurricane of 1900. They are so prolific that Galveston is known as the 'Oleander City'; an annual Oleander festival is hosted every April.[9] Oleander can be grown successfully outdoors in southern England, particularly in London and mild coastal regions of Dorset and Cornwall.
Too tropical for either of us.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-22 11:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That sucks.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-22 11:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That sucks.
Not for me.

That's why Texas > all!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-29 23:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

That sucks.
Not for me.

That's why Texas > all!

I had a chance to move to Texas and run a Ranch years ago. If only Rattle Snakes didn't exist!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-29 23:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Been thinking about getting bees to pollinate my orchard and gardens. Just when you think everything is done, more projects appear!
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-30 00:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

That sucks.
Not for me.

That's why Texas > all!

I had a chance to move to Texas and run a Ranch years ago. If only Rattle Snakes didn't exist!

Rattle snakes aren't bad. You get fair warning, then you get the garden hoe. Clean slice. No fuss, no muss. Snakes ain't no thang, unless they're WATER MOCCASINS and you're in the water!

EDIT: Dear internet,

Your spider memes are not amusing to me. Try living in the land of black widows, brown recluses, rattle snakes, cottonmouths, water moccasins and scorpions, sissies!
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-30 01:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

We have these things in Michigan.
black widows, brown recluses, rattle snakes, water moccasins

Only the water moccasins are common though, and easily avoided.
Like I've seen two Michigan Rattlesnakes my entire life and they was a mating pair. My dad took the shovel to them and we put their heads in jars so people would believe they even existed! lol

I was too young to remember if they rattled when we got by them, do rattle snakes always rattle before they strike?
[+]
By volkom 2016-04-30 01:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Rattle snakes aren't bad. You get fair warning, then you get the garden hoe. Clean slice. No fuss, no muss. Snakes ain't no thang, unless they're WATER MOCCASINS and you're in the water!
baby rattlesnakes are the real danger.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-30 01:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
baby rattlesnakes are the real danger.

Baby cottonmouths, too! Not fun finding those in your garage.

Volk knows what's up.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-30 09:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

... Try living in the land of black widows, brown recluses, rattle snakes, cottonmouths, water moccasins and scorpions, sissies!
I have the black widows, brown recluses, and rattle snakes although eastern WA rattlers are the wimpiest rattlesnakes in the world. Not that it isn't scary when I hear a rattle on the way down to the basement.

I was too young to remember if they rattled when we got by them, do rattle snakes always rattle before they strike?
They rattle as a warning, not because they are going to strike. Of course if you ignore the warning you will get bit. I somehow do not believe they rattle when they hunt.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-04-30 11:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There's one small part of my lawn that gets very little sun and always looks like ***, so I'm gonna scrap he whole thing and put in a bunch of phlox and periwinkle as ground cover instead. Some stepping stones too.

I'll take pics of the process and share. The periwinkle is invasive as grows like a sonovabitch. But the area is 95% contained so I couldn't give a ***.
Have you thought about wild strawberries? The plants produce strawberries ranging in size from the size of your pinkie to your thumb, but they are incredibly sweet and they cover ground quickly. Easy to eat or ignore.

Ramyrez said: »
I also saw raspberry bits being sold at Lowe's and gave serious consideration to that...
Given the chance raspberries will take over your yard. So will blackberries. Which is good if you like them.

They are relatively (here, at least) easy to deal with. For pests I spray with dishsoap and water, but depends on what types of insects you can get.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-30 12:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

There's one small part of my lawn that gets very little sun and always looks like ***, so I'm gonna scrap he whole thing and put in a bunch of phlox and periwinkle as ground cover instead. Some stepping stones too.

I'll take pics of the process and share. The periwinkle is invasive as grows like a sonovabitch. But the area is 95% contained so I couldn't give a ***.
Have you thought about wild strawberries? The plants produce strawberries ranging in size from the size of your pinkie to your thumb, but they are incredibly sweet and they cover ground quickly. Easy to eat or ignore.

We had these here a few years back but I haven't seen them in awhile. The wild onions are popping up though.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-05-27 09:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So I prunned the hops I put out over month ago. It's the end of may and I've already got 2' vines on all 4 of them. They are ready to blast off this summer, I've built a run for them that is over 30' long.

Lack of observable moisture isn't a problem, the moisture is locked inside. That's why the light as a feather ones are dead, no internal moisture.

Been 4 more weeks Chanti, nothing yet bulb wise. Should I be a sad panda yet?

I did not think about strawberries for that area specifically, I did think about them for the garden, but they need a crap load of sun and the area in question just doesn't get that much.

I did plant the phlox and vinca, I tore up the whole area a few weeks back. I had to run the cultivator across the area 4 times before I got everything up. It was hard as a rock, probably why I was having so much trouble growing grass. I'll take pics over the weekend. It's been a very busy month. I ordered mulch for the weekend and once it's down I should be pretty much ready for summer.

Just in time.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-05-27 09:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This year I did:

A ton of mini cantaloupe

bush beans

carrots

snap peas

peppers (various)

strawberries

tomatoes

squash

and a bunch of random flowers, should be legit.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-05-27 09:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Snakes ain't no thang, unless they're WATER MOCCASINS and you're in the water!

Oh man. How did I miss this when you posted it?

That scene in Lonesome Dove is *** haunting.

Poor kid.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-05-27 09:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

More on topic, I'm tearing out pre-existing shrubbery this weekend and cleaning up the beds around my house, and cementing a plan for the fire pit, though given it's supposed to rain a bunch I may not get to enacting that plan this weekend.

About a quarter of my lot extends beyond my fence in the back yard and is wooded, really trying to decide if I want to tackle tearing into that. Would give me some firewood, for one, and open up some area for further development for a good size garden or even a reasonably-sized workshop/storage unit. Won't probably get around to that this summer but it's an idea for the future.

Being a home owner is hard. So many choices. @.@
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-05-27 10:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So I prunned the hops I put out over month ago. It's the end of may and I've already got 2' vines on all 4 of them. They are ready to blast off this summer, I've built a run for them that is over 30' long.

Been 4 more weeks Chanti, nothing yet bulb wise. Should I be a sad panda yet?

I did not think about strawberries for that area specifically, I did think about them for the garden, but they need a crap load of sun and the area in question just doesn't get that much.

I did plant the phlox and vinca, I tore up the whole area a few weeks back. I had to run the cultivator across the area 4 times before I got everything up. It was hard as a rock, probably why I was having so much trouble growing grass. I'll take pics over the weekend. It's been a very busy month. I ordered mulch for the weekend and once it's down I should be pretty much ready for summer.

Just in time.

So I want to plant hops, is it already to late? I've never grown them before.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-05-27 10:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fire area is key. I have a small chimenea that I burn with on my deck. It is the perfect size for the space, but I sometimes wish I could burn bigger pieces of wood. There are plenty of vids out there showing the block pit solution, could have that thing up in an hour and for under 30 bucks if you really wanted to.

If you start clearing brush and trees for fuel remember, it takes a while for the new wood to properly dry out and be effective fire wood.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-27 10:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Been 4 more weeks Chanti, nothing yet bulb wise. Should I be a sad panda yet?...
I don't know your growing season but here all spring bulbs have sprouted. So unless you planted fall crocuses or start your growing season real late it is indeed sad panda time.

What varieties of hops did you plant?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-05-27 10:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fire area is key. I have a small chimenea that I burn with on my deck. It is the perfect size for the space, but I sometimes wish I could burn bigger pieces of wood. There are plenty of vids out there showing the block pit solution, could have that thing up in an hour and for under 30 bucks if you really wanted to.

Yeah, I've got the space and planned out the where. Just a matter of making it happen. I'm not finalized on a design yet but I'm going to go a little higher grade than just knocking some cinderblocks into a pit.

Quote:
If you start clearing brush and trees for fuel remember, it takes a while for the new wood to properly dry out and be effective fire wood.

Yeah. I've got the firewood technique down pretty well. My family's been doin' the firewood thing for generations. (I mean, technically, most people's families have been if you go back a few, but I meant consistently and frequently to and through the present.)
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-05-27 13:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So I want to plant hops, is it already to late? I've never grown them before.

No, it is not too late to plant them, but you'll likely not get much this year planting too late. I got rhizomes from my local homebrew supply shop, then I went back and got one that was in a small container but had a vine poking out with a few leaves on it. I got the most from that one the first year, so if that's possible grab one like that.

You typically don't get much the first year anyways so it's a long pay off even if you did put them in the ground a month ago.

Where are you located? Why do you want to grow them? To harvest hops or more just because.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-05-27 13:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Been 4 more weeks Chanti, nothing yet bulb wise. Should I be a sad panda yet?...
I don't know your growing season but here all spring bulbs have sprouted. So unless you planted fall crocuses or start your growing season real late it is indeed sad panda time.

What varieties of hops did you plant?

I have the same ones as last year.

Centennial, Chinook, Nugget and Zeus (aka CTZ). But I forgot to label them when I put them away so here's hoping I can ID them from their shape and smell.

Otherwise, franken-brew here I come!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-05-27 13:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

+

+

mix and enjoy!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1454 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-05-20 10:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my first necro, but it's the best place to ask. I planted potatoes on May 3rd. I wasn't able to get proper seed potatoes because of all the stuff going on right now. So I used sprouted grocery store potatoes.
It's been a pretty cold spring, was about 9-11C until about May 11, and today is the first day over 20C.
I planted them 4 inches deep in a raised bed in soil mixed with compost, but I didn't use any other fertilizer. I topped it all with cedar mulch.
I still don't see anything growing out of the soil yet. Is this normal? Do they need lots of water or should I let the soil get dryer? I'm pretty new at this so any help would be appreciated.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-05-20 10:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

root based stuff tends to tolerate cold much better

sometimes they don’t get sprouting until the ground warms up

I tend to let nature water until the dirt is dry to the touch, then personally water

I am by no means a pro, I guess I started around the time I made this thread

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9