90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » 90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless
90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-09 20:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

kinda surprised i didn't see a thread on this already.
You can find videos of this from most any media outlet or many independent sources with a quick search. Theirs a ton of them

They face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-09 20:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-09 20:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of interesting stories don't get attention on this site anymore.

That said, would have really have happened if Romney was president? Think about it.
By daoming 2014-11-09 21:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why I don't like Florida.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-09 21:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

They busted 2 pastors with him.

I didn't post it 'cause its more sad than angry making.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-09 21:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »

That said, would have really have happened if Romney was president? Think about it.

We'd be free of our dependence on foreign oil by grinding the homeless into a slurry to replace gasoline.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-09 21:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I mostly just wonder what the world would be like if Ihina's comments actually made sense half of the time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-09 22:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't agree with this law, the old guy did knowingly break the new city ordinance.

That's like going 100 mph in a school zone, and then *** about getting a huge speeding ticket.
By daoming 2014-11-09 23:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd give the 90 year old man a pat on the back and offer him dinner for being so awesome, he won't get jail time when social media blasts Florida out of the water.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-09 23:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Laws that are unjust shouldn't be followed.

That mayor hopefully loses his position, thanks to his support, and all of the officers who participated in that arrest need to lose their jobs, as they aren't working for the people.

That should have started a riot.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 06:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That's like going 100 mph in a school zone, and then *** about getting a huge speeding ticket.

Feeding the homeless. Clearly as dangerous as going 100mph in a school zone..
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-11-10 06:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

daoming said: »
This is why I don't like Florida.
Only good thing that came out of Florida is Scragg and my friend Califlower. I kinda like the Dolphins too.

While I don't agree with this law, the old guy did knowingly break the new city ordinance.

Burn down the city, tar & feather the mayor, etc. I don't know the specifics of the ordinance but you don't sign in laws to deny humans the ability to feed the homeless...well unless you're feeding the homeless to the homeless which has happened in Florida.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-11-10 06:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

A law that prevents people feeding the homeless is very worrying for me, from my perspective it looks like you're applying the rule of "If you feed them, they'll just keep coming back", so in essence treating the homeless like animals.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-10 06:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Laws that are unjust shouldn't be followed.
Laws that are unjust should be challenged in court. Not ignored.

Because everyone's idea of what is just and what is unjust are completely different.

You have a certain "condition" that I'm not allowed to say because mods here told me not to say. Because of your "condition," a specific law prevents you from acting on your "condition." You think that the law that prevents you from acting on your "condition" is unjust, so by your reasoning, you should ignore it and expect to get away with it. The laws are there to prevent people with your "condition" from acting on it and causing irreparable harm to people.

It would be better for you (and anyone else) to challenge the laws in court.

Odin.Godofgods said: »

Feeding the homeless. Clearly as dangerous as going 100mph in a school zone..
Not all laws are created to prevent harm from happening.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 06:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Burn down the city, tar & feather the mayor, etc. I don't know the specifics of the ordinance but you don't sign in laws to deny humans the ability to feed the homeless...well unless you're feeding the homeless to the homeless which has happened in Florida.

i agree that polition should be lynched. But to anyone that doesnt feel like watching the video, i will point out that they 'dont want them being feed in public'. While the ordinance was reported as limiting who can feed them and where. Alphaomega talks a good bit about this in the video i posted in post #2. e pretty much nails how i feel.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-10 07:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The law states that you can't feed the homeless out in open.

Doesn't state that you can't feed the homeless at all.
 Leviathan.Xsoahc
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Xsoahc 2014-11-10 07:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What ever happened to the good old days of pitting two hobos against each other in a boxing ring for a 3 day old sandwich?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-10 07:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »

If a tree falls in the forest does it post on a video game forum ?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-11-10 07:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Xsoahc said: »
What ever happened to the good old days of pitting two hobos against each other in a boxing ring for a 3 day old sandwich?

Due to recent economic problems that sandwich is a picture of a sandwich.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-10 08:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Because everyone's idea of what is just and what is unjust are completely different.
You can't challenge a law in court unless you have standing. You don't have standing unless you can show it affects you, causes you harm.

By breaking the law and being charged with a crime he now has standing to challenge the law.
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2014-11-10 08:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Was this like... some sort of issue in Florida? Just trying to understand what pushed this law to be actually made.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 08:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »

Was this like... some sort of issue in Florida? Just trying to understand what pushed this law to be actually made.

its a tourist state. To the polition, the homeless makes it 'look less nice' and ppl might not go there. So they needed to shoo them away.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-11-10 09:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Bismarck.Patrik said: »

its a tourist state. To the Politician, the homeless makes it 'look less nice' and ppl might not go there. So they needed to shoo them away.
How about using some of that political power to do something about the homeless instead of treating them like vermin. Making it illegal to feed the homeless won't make them go away. Providing them with a place to stay might though. Politicians live in a world of their own.
By Nazrious 2014-11-10 10:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Time and place, non specific as to race, gender, religion, nationality, etc. Homeless is not a classification that would trigger increased scrutiny.

Perhaps argue the law is overbroad.

This definitely spells like test case material. The guy seems rosa parks clean.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-10 10:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

You can't challenge a law in court unless you have standing. You don't have standing unless you can show it affects you, causes you harm.

By breaking the law and being charged with a crime he now has standing to challenge the law.
I'm not sure that he has standing now either.

He knowingly broke the law almost immediately after it was passed, an argument could be made that his standing against the law was revoked because of his disregard of it.

Either way, he could have brought this to court without breaking the law, even if he was speaking on behalf of the homeless (who do have standing and cannot afford legal representation) instead of flaunting it.

Edit: Correction of a word, thanks again Chanti.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-11-10 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

He knowingly breaking the law....
King, have another cup of coffee and correct that sentence. You write much better than that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-10 10:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
He knowingly breaking the law....
King, have another cup of coffee and correct that sentence. You write much better than that.
I had two different ways to write that sentence in my mind, I just got a little mixed up.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-10 10:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I'm not sure that he has standing now either.

He knowingly broke the law almost immediately after it was passed, an argument could be made that his standing against the law was revoked because of his disregard of it.

Either way, he could have brought this to court without breaking the law, even if he was speaking on behalf of the homeless (who do have standing and cannot afford legal representation) instead of flaunting it.

Edit: Correction of a word, thanks again Chanti.

He has standing because he didn't suddenly go out and feed homeless people because they made it illegal, he has been doing it as a charitable organization for years. It's an act of civil disobedience refusing to stop due to his religious conviction.
[+]
First Page 2 3