Men Notice Women, Somehow This Is News.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Men notice women, somehow this is news.
Men notice women, somehow this is news.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-10-31 06:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I could post a video of 6 women harassing me in 10 hours same video would also include me smiting their ***though... if you wanna be proactive go about it in a better way
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-10-31 07:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm perfectly aware that most men aren't like what we saw in the video, most men are nice, decent guys. And instead of saying some guys here defend the kind of behaviour seen in the video, I should have said they seem to think it's simply something women should put up with and not make a fuss about.

I don't know though. Maybe it's just the difference between America and my part of Europe - I can guarantee you it wouldn't be possible to recreate this video getting the same result in any city in Norway. I guess it's just the sheer number of men throwing comments her way that completely baffles me - it happens once every sixth minute. In broad daylight, wearing dull clothes, not dressed up in any way, not seeking attention in any way.

Maybe I'm oldfashioned. But what happened to approaching a woman with a little bit of finesse, you know? Meh.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2014-10-31 07:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would be interesting to see her or some one make a similar video in 2 parts. The first part would be the girl in the tight form fitting clothing that is shown in this video then the second would be the same girl wearing say an ankle length dress and loose flowing blouse with her hair up in a bun. The comparison would be how many comments are made and a ratio of lewd to not-so-lewd. I can understand and appreciate the idea that women want to wear what ever they want but it doesnt take a genius to know that wearing clothing that accentuates the female form regardless of how much skin is shown or colors displayed will attract attention. If a hetero male can see your body it makes them think about sex. A thought not to difficult to provoke in any male in or beyond puberty. If you feel thats extreme or guys need to control them selves or what ever you want to say to justify wearing clothing that reveals your body and its shape then you're no better than the guys you shame for justifying the behavior tou find so offensive. Everyone's a victim.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 07:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tamoa said: »
Maybe I'm oldfashioned. But what happened to approaching a woman with a little bit of finesse, you know?
That went out the door back in the 1960s.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-10-31 08:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Men are dominant in the area of douchebaggery and this video doesn't surprise me in the least I don't defend/denounce any of it I bet she would hear far worse from my dyke friends though those ladies are ruthless
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 08:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So, the moral of the story is: People are ***, it doesn't matter what sex they are, what color their skin is, or where they are from originally, everyone will treat you like ***if given the chance, some people don't even give you the chance.

Can we talk about global warming birthers evil wealthy evil capitalism evil liberals Benghazi Republicans getting control of Congress war on women ISIS.....hell, I got nothing anymore.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-10-31 08:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Also to add to that moral dont try to sex it up in California everything is illegal
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I get harassed all the time but only when I "think" about women.

My feminism senses tell me that this was definitely a Huff Post thing.
 Shiva.Katharyn
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Katharyn 2014-10-31 09:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
The only reason she feels bad about the sexual attention is that it's from low quality males.

Or... It could be from the fact a thousand men pestered her for little relevant reason whatsoever beyond they wanted to nail her, and that's just through the video. Imagine what she and billions of other women deal with EVERY TIME WE WALK OUTSIDE!!! It doesn't even matter what we wear unless it's dress up to go out, then it's like a d*** plague...

Anyhow what your seeing on that video are guys spotting a fertile (wide hips + breasts + healthy body) female and following their evolutionary instincts and trying to demonstrate worth by being aggressive and approaching her.

Well, perhaps guys should stop and control their instincts if their first thought seeing a woman walk by is to harass her with is quite clearly, a disinterest in attention. Her body language is showing quite clearly she doesn't want to talk to you, but they try anyway as if they have no control over what comes out of their mouth.

I control mine, I maybe fearful alone, but I don't cower and flee in a panic when a guy runs towards me at the park, i control my emotions and my body, he's just getting exercise like me. So why can't they?

Or in the case of the creepy stalker following her, control over their own bodies, that would terrify the hell out of me and i'd be beelining for the nearest store to stay until he was long gone. That's a red flag to someone who's likely a lot worse then just walking besides you for 10 minutes, that you don't want to be alone around.

Of course the editors of the video deliberately cut out any positive reactions she had and chose to only display the negative ones, so its kinda of like Fox and NBC. What you see here is the kinds of negative attention a female will get, they deliberately leave out the positive kinds like when a tall handsome man in expensive clothes walks over to her.

How would you define positive reactions? Her stopping at the nearest cute guy?? Interactions with a hotdog stand vendor?? The point of the video was to show what women deal with just going from point A to point B. And that's exactly what she showed, and that's exactly what happens.

p.s. A lot of women trying to go somewhere (And even not honestly, let's say 95% of the time in our days) DON'T CARE about the handsome guy in sexy clothes. Not one little bit. Not even a microscopic shred.

The only time any woman will care about how some guy looks, is if she's in the mood to attempt to find a partner (for either long or short term interests). That's it. For most women we're not in a perpetual mode of seeking a partner for sexual relations (or even not) like men are. A few women maybe, but not most, hence why this whole video shows a problem in the world!

We can actually get into a much deeper conversation about female privilege because that's exactly what your seeing here. An average male walking down the street would be an invisible non-person with insufficient value for anyone else to bother taking notice.

What privilege?
It's a privilege to be sexually harassed as I walk down the street?
If that's the case, you can take that privilege back, I'd be happy just being ignored most of the time until I seek attention.

The reason men are invisible to women walking down the street is because WE'RE NOT SEEKING ATTENTION! (That isn't a hard thing to understand, seriously.)

Why men are invisible to other is their own problem. Women can't solve that, and given how I've seen most men interact when walking by, they likely don't seek to change that either.

So while all that male attention is from low value males, it's still attention that validates her worth and indicates she has sufficient value for people to take notice.

News flash! Most women don't judge their self worth and social and economic value off how many men hit on them as they walk to work, or get food at the store, or grabbing a game at the store.

Men seem to, having a "sexy" women is deemed that he was successful.

But most women don't value things like that. Again, that's why this is a problem and not men just: Being nice.

I strongly recommend people read Norah Vincint's Self Made Man to get a better understanding of the differences in perception of value from a male and a female.

It's not about perception value, it's about not harassing every woman you deem suitable to sleep with as you stand on a corner smoking, or stalk the aisles at the store. It's about self control and respect, something at least a portion of men, esp those in the video, seem to lack.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Not in the video, but posting the video and making a big deal about a lot of "harassment" where they were clearly not (some were, but certainly not most of them).

That's why she is an attention ***.

No, they clearly were, we've been over this.
Some guys in texas may find this normal, but not everyone does, saying hi to someone who if they were a man, you wouldn't utter a grunt too, is not just being nice, it's harassing based off her being a woman.

There's no attention whoring, but it is bringing attention to a problem women face daily.

During the video, I counted 6 times that people said some form of "Have a nice day" or "Good morning/evening." Did not count those that included "baby" or "darling" which still isn't remotely harassing.

So 6 times where some guy was "just being nice" to a random strange woman, versus about 40-50 times of "real" harassment. Even IF they were just being nice, that's a huge statistical problem. 1 out of every 9 guys will harass you... yeah.. makes me feel good inside... [/sarcasm]

Saying "hey baby/darling" on the street to a random woman isn't harassment? That's blunt sexual harassment. Saying that is what you might say to your wife, not a random stranger.

And you know that this woman posted the "worst" harassment she caught on tape to prove her point. If 6 of these harassment examples are just friendly greetings, what's to say that a percentage (just to be nice, because, as I pointed out, she more than likely captured the worst of it during the video, so we really saw all of the street harassment she received in that 10 hours) of all the harassment isn't harassment at all?

She likely did pick the worst of what she felt safe showing that happened to her. There's much worse that happens to women who reject a random mans advances, and death and rape threats on twitter and by mail, aren't the whole story. I'll cite the following as evidence of such:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/07/mary-spears-killed-detroit_n_5945518.html

http://www.kxxv.com/story/26395293/police-man-cuts-womans-neck-after-she-refused-his-advances

http://fox43.com/2013/01/27/woman-assaulted-with-stun-gun-after-she-refused-mans-sexual-advances/

http://whenwomenrefuse.tumblr.com/
This site was made only this year and already has almost 500 stories, imagine what it will look like in another year.

That, and my own personal experiences, are why I'm afraid when I see men walking towards me. What if he hits on me, and I end up one of those women? You don't know who will flip from rejection. I can't even use the "i have a boyfriend/husband" line a majority of women do because I don't, I have a girlfriend whom I soon to be married too, but saying that just invites MORE advances, and lines along like: ohh baby you don't know what you're missing, I can't do things she never could. And it just gets worse from there, and he ends up trying to convince me he can make us both happy, all the while I try to find a way out without pissing him off as I grow more and more fearful and uncomfortable.

THIS S*** ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE HOW LIFE GOES JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A VAGINA!!!

Anyway....

I don't care about her movement, if she wants to continue to do so, then good for her. She has to realize that the majority of women do not agree with her (due to the fact of how they dress and how they act towards men in general) and she will basically get nothing through her movement.

But she can try.

Where are you getting that a majority of women don't agree with her? For 99% of all women, this is how life goes for us. The more sexy we dress the worse the attention, but even wearing casual clothes invites unwanted advances by seemingly entitled men, there's no escaping it.

Her video may cherry pick scenes, but for most women, this is everyday life.
It's not a movement to make life better and safer for women by bringing attention to problems we face, that's called seeking equality and protection. Something men take for granted.

Nobody deserves harassment, sexual or otherwise.
And nobody deserves to be fearful when someone walks towards you. (But that is how my life has been.)

Women often say: If you could walk a day in my shoes.
There is often a great truth and desire in that. If men had to live as women (in a woman's body) for even 1 day, you'd be thanking whatever god you believe in to wake up the next with your penis back, because the experience you'd gain, that is how women live every day.

And ***would change, fast.
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The struggle is real 9/10 ten women are harassed on a daily basis. Please donate to the feminism fund to keep men from approaching women in public !
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

To summarize that long post: victim card level 9000.

Also with a side of men never get harassed, stalked, beat up etc. That only happens to women.

Women have never murdered a man ever that is just against their nature.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So, the moral of the story is: People are ***, it doesn't matter what sex they are, what color their skin is, or where they are from originally, everyone will treat you like ***if given the chance, some people don't even give you the chance.

Can we talk about global warming birthers evil wealthy evil capitalism evil liberals Benghazi Republicans getting control of Congress war on women ISIS.....hell, I got nothing anymore.

Moral of the story is this video will launch her "internet fame" so she won't have to do a real job like the rest of us.
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm perfectly aware that most men aren't like what we saw in the video, most men are nice, decent guys. And instead of saying some guys here defend the kind of behaviour seen in the video, I should have said they seem to think it's simply something women should put up with and not make a fuss about.

I don't know though. Maybe it's just the difference between America and my part of Europe - I can guarantee you it wouldn't be possible to recreate this video getting the same result in any city in Norway. I guess it's just the sheer number of men throwing comments her way that completely baffles me - it happens once every sixth minute. In broad daylight, wearing dull clothes, not dressed up in any way, not seeking attention in any way.

Maybe I'm oldfashioned. But what happened to approaching a woman with a little bit of finesse, you know? Meh.

Due to feminism women are unapproachable. Unless you meet certain requirements...
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-31 09:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not in the video, but posting the video and making a big deal about a lot of "harassment" where they were clearly not (some were, but certainly not most of them).

That's why she is an attention ***.
She was showing her experience on an average day.

Do you think this is unusual behavior? It's not in the US.

Quote:
During the video, I counted 6 times that people said some form of "Have a nice day" or "Good morning/evening." Did not count those that included "baby" or "darling" which still isn't remotely harassing.
How you say something is important and what you are doing when you say it. One of the guys was walking into her space while saying "good evening" then "have a nice day" while she continued walking.

I can see why most guys might not understand why that could be perceived as harrassment or a better way to phrase it is "caution worthy," because you do have a different height/girth perception.

Women, on average, are small. Having an unknown man 5-12 inches taller and with more muscle mass than you moving to intercept you with intent, at the minimum, makes you pause to evaluate the situation.

Quote:
And you know that this woman posted the "worst" harassment she caught on tape to prove her point. If 6 of these harassment examples are just friendly greetings, what's to say that a percentage (just to be nice, because, as I pointed out, she more than likely captured the worst of it during the video, so we really saw all of the street harassment she received in that 10 hours) of all the harassment isn't harassment at all?
She, as far as I've read, did not edit the video. The guy who filmed her did. He or she should release the full 10 hours.

I don't find strange, unknown men yelling greetings to me on the street while turning to stare at my *** friendly.

Quote:
I don't care about her movement, if she wants to continue to do so, then good for her. She has to realize that the majority of women do not agree with her (due to the fact of how they dress and how they act towards men in general) and she will basically get nothing through her movement.

But she can try.
I disagree.

How a lot of men in the US behave around the average woman walking, driving, eating, or shopping alone is very different than if another male is present or children and other females.

The majority of women who are in the supermarket shopping for dinner, or running errands, or heading to work, or at work aren't looking for pick-up lines, cat calls, etc.

She was wearing normal, casual clothes and her body language said "busy, not looking for attention".

Like I said before her experience is not unusual for a lone walking woman. From the time of development (whatever age that happens*) to whenever men decide she is not attractive anymore (varies wildly. I know women in their 40's still whistled and honked at) some men react like that.

*some nasty and disgusting jokes in GA about teenage girls (and I'm sure they are present elsewhere.)
"If she bleeds, she can breed"
"The trifecta: have sex with the grandmother, mother, and teenage daughter"
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-31 09:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Not in DK either. Even on the beaches when most women are topless you don't get that reaction.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It must be tough to be a victim your entire life.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-31 09:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I'm oldfashioned. But what happened to approaching a woman with a little bit of finesse, you know?
That went out the door back in the 1960s.
Sorry, long gone before the '60s.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 09:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Katharyn said: »
No, they clearly were, we've been over this.
Some guys in texas may find this normal, but not everyone does, saying hi to someone who if they were a man, you wouldn't utter a grunt too, is not just being nice, it's harassing based off her being a woman.

There's no attention whoring, but it is bringing attention to a problem women face daily.
Please explain why something as simple as saying "Hello" or "Good day" to somebody is harassment. Please also point out how the person receiving the notification would know that specific person would only say that to you and not to anyone else in the world.

So 6 times where some guy was "just being nice" to a random strange woman, versus about 40-50 times of "real" harassment. Even IF they were just being nice, that's a huge statistical problem. 1 out of every 9 guys will harass you... yeah.. makes me feel good inside... [/sarcasm]

Saying "hey baby/darling" on the street to a random woman isn't harassment? That's blunt sexual harassment. Saying that is what you might say to your wife, not a random stranger.
For one thing, and I pointed this out, if what she posted was the worst she received from a 10 hour walk, then that means that she hasn't been harassed by men outside a handful of times. She is making a mountain out of a little molehill.

Another thing, I'm sure you understand this, but those guys are initiating the contact to go out with that woman. If she really wants to not have those contacts, then she should not dress attractively (even with those clothes she was still dressing attractively). Wear fake glasses, baggy/torn clothing, or whatever she feels would make her unattractive and she would not receive these catcalls (or not as much).

She likely did pick the worst of what she felt safe showing that happened to her. There's much worse that happens to women who reject a random mans advances, and death and rape threats on twitter and by mail, aren't the whole story. I'll cite the following as evidence of such:
So, because very few instances happened where a man harmed a woman for not going out with him, all men are like that now?

You quoted 4 instances, and last I checked, there are 151+ million men in the US. So, are all of them ravage brutes who will kill you for not going out with them now?

That, and my own personal experiences, are why I'm afraid when I see men walking towards me. What if he hits on me, and I end up one of those women? You don't know who will flip from rejection. I can't even use the "i have a boyfriend/husband" line a majority of women do because I don't, I have a girlfriend whom I soon to be married too, but saying that just invites MORE advances, and lines along like: ohh baby you don't know what you're missing, I can't do things she never could. And it just gets worse from there, and he ends up trying to convince me he can make us both happy, all the while I try to find a way out without pissing him off as I grow more and more fearful and uncomfortable.

You are showing your insecurities. I'm a male, and I'm not a beast you are lumping me with these people. I can guarantee you that 151+ million males in the US can say the exact same thing. You are "scared" over nothing.

But I think we found the crux of your whole argument. You hate men for some insane reason, and you must insist that all men are the same.

You know what? I have been severely hurt by women my entire life. Worse than you have ever experienced by men which I will not go further into, but I know this for a fact that I have more reason to hate women than you have to hate men. Guess what! I don't hate women at all, nor do I treat every single female the same as those who physically/mentally/emotionally harmed me in my entire lifetime. I understand that everyone is different, and that nobody will treat me the same as the other person. Can you realize that for yourself?

Seriously, this woman has the easy life. She just doesn't realize how great her life is, because she is placing her focus on only one negativity of her life. I foresee her days to be very lonely because of the way she treats other humans.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 09:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Aww, this thread got demained....
By fonewear 2014-10-31 09:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Men do get harassed to we just don't make victim videos about it on Youtube.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-31 09:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you saying it's a bad thing to make a video about getting harassed?
By fonewear 2014-10-31 10:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You see that would require me to care which these days is difficult.

Even if I was harassed my first thoughts wouldn't be to make a video about it.

It is a bad thing to play a victim your entire life. You could you know be above things don't take everything to heart.

Don't have to join some movement and start a website because you get harassed walking down the street.

Even if it was possible how would making a video end people harassing one another ?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 10:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You see that would require me to care which these days is difficult.

Even if I was harassed my first thoughts wouldn't be to make a video about it.

Only way to be harassed if you let yourself be harassed.

If women start catcalling and whistling towards me, I wouldn't give a flying ***. Start pinching my ***, I might care. Either way, I wouldn't be harassed unless I make a big stink about it.

Quote:
It is a bad thing to play a victim your entire life. You could you know be above things don't take everything to heart.

Which is why people need to understand that everyone is different and will treat people differently.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-31 10:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't know Kathryn personally how could you know if your personal exeperiences are worse than hers?

How does the woman in the video have the easy life?

You make a lot of assumptions with what seems to be a severe lack of evidence to back it up...

It's not unusual or unexpected of some people to fear social interactions with other people. It could be that she has been negatively conditioned by experiences in her life to be wary of one on one contact with strangers... 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in America... It's not an uncommon theme...

Besides... the women that have posted in this thread have even noted that not all men are the same... not all men are pigs or rapists or whatever... Why it seems like some of you feel attacked by even the idea that one woman is wary of one to one contact with a male stranger is kinda funny and a bit telling...
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-31 10:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-31 10:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing, I'm sure you understand this, but those guys are initiating the contact to go out with that woman. If she really wants to not have those contacts, then she should not dress attractively (even with those clothes she was still dressing attractively). Wear fake glasses, baggy/torn clothing, or whatever she feels would make her unattractive and she would not receive these catcalls (or not as much).
Idk... if I was just dressing in Jeans and a t-shirt and someone was telling me that I had to go wear something different so I didn't have to get harassed I'd laugh at them... It's a ridiculous thing to say...

If she was walking around in booty shorts and some booby tassles I could maybe see your point but still...
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2014-10-31 10:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's so easy to say men this and men that. But when men say "Hey not all guys are like that" they just turn it around and say "Well not all men... you want a gold star since you aren't a rapist like the rest of your kind"

@Katharyn I have never seen someone wave the victim card so hard it starts to crease. I can go on google too and pull up tons of story's by females stating they love attention and they want guys to walk up to them blah blah blah but that wouldn't change a thing since you hate MEN. You now have zero remorse for guys who can't find a girl and consider him a pig for attempting to say "Hello" and more then likely feel that his love interest is a victim.

cue video.
YouTube Video Placeholder

women... I love you
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-31 10:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Even if it was possible how would making a video end people harassing one another ?
Like most other things it brings attention to an issue and gives an opportunity to educate...

Could be that some people don't think it's an issue and now they know that it is... it may cause them to change the way they act...

This could be applied to pretty much anything...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-31 10:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Bitmusic said: »
Katharyn seek some kind of help you are paranoid beyond belif and it probably is you who is the danger one day you will snap and shoot someone who glacnes in your direction with that baggage you are carrying around with you. Seriously your *** must quiver everytime a man passes you and that just isn't healthy go and seek some help.
Well, she has had some bad experiences with men, that much is obvious.

Maybe a few bad dates, I highly doubt it's any worse than that because if it was, she wouldn't be sharing her viewpoints on a forum.

She needs to understand that not all guys are like those in the video, and in general we don't get any much worse than saying "Hello" to her.

Quetzalcoatl.Bitmusic said: »
Someone saying hello is not harasment lol god you people are pathetic, i don't agree with the creeps following the woman but to demonise men who simply say hello it's pathetic.
Agreed.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10