Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » New Desktop
New Desktop
First Page 2 3 4 5
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 13:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind consoles, I just can't justify the expense. I'm not short on entertainment funds, but I don't like to waste money either.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 13:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming your TV is anywhere near your PC (mine isn't) you can use bluetooth and an HDMI cable and play PC games that way as well.

I am toying around with the idea of using some of my network cabling with taps for HDMI and USB connections to our smart TV's so I can do precisely that.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 14:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

darkk said: »
OP, I definitely recommend you get a ddr4 capable motherboard/memory.

The 970 by eVGA that's on my build is a better performer than the MSI

Not knocking AMD, but I just think a skylake build around $1k is the better route to take.

im not knocking your build or anything with the one i threw together. I was just curious to see how it would work out, the differences, and to test the site out, etc.

I dont think AMD has any motherboards that support ddr4. At the very least i couldnt find any for those, only intel.
Trying to work out the amd set and then see how it compares with the intel one you built. Curious.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 14:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

link seemed to change when i changed a part in the list :/

AMD
Intel
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 14:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

are there any other worth while changes for the amd build thats within the same price range? (Maybe the graphics card?)

For the intel build, the only thing i notice is simply what the site flagged about the case. Not having the usb3.0 header and that the graphics card would block a device bay. Neither look to be a big deal, but if im looking around, i mine as well see/ask
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 15:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
are there any other worth while changes for the amd build thats within the same price range? (Maybe the graphics card?)

For the intel build, the only thing i notice is simply what the site flagged about the case. Not having the usb3.0 header and that the graphics card would block a device bay. Neither look to be a big deal, but if im looking around, i mine as well see/ask

They both look like solid builds that would suit you for a few years. I'd personally go with the Intel build because it offers more room for upgrades based on current architecture, but the and build is probably a little better if you don't plan on changing things. Amd's next generation of processors could end up using a different socket, whereas I don't see the lga socket changing anytime soon.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-29 15:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

An SSD is a must have part nowadays. After being used to them for so long now, every time I use a system without one, even a nice 10k scsi2 ultra wide HD, the performance is terribly noticeable.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 15:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
An SSD is a must have part nowadays. After being used to them for so long now, every time I use a system without one, even a nice 10k scsi2 ultra wide HD, the performance is terribly noticeable.

SAS is pretty darn fast. Not quite SSD level, but hardly noticeable.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-29 16:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

SAS is pretty darn fast. Not quite SSD level, but hardly noticeable.
I've never got the chance to mess around with one that wasn't mine. I would love to play around with one day.

I used to mess around with SCSI,SCIS-2, SCSI-2UW awhile back ago cause it became so cheap, along with a dual xeon II server. I built myself an entire data server that had a computer case just stacked with 10 u2w 10K Seagate cheetahs.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 16:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see much use for them outside of server applications, but they challenge the accepted ideas about storage media.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-29 18:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

AMDs next gen will use a new socket, I just hope they don't price them too high.

link seemed to change when i changed a part in the list :/

AMD
Intel

Note: that the intel build uses a Crossfire only motherboard so you won't be able to upgrade to 2 970s so you would want one that supports SLI if you going Nvida.

For the price of those the Intel looks better cause of the DDR4 support (damn DDR4 builds are cheap now)

Remember if you don't plan to go SLI then there is no point getting a motherboard that uses it. That said, getting a second 970 in a year or so will be a solid upgrade.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 18:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

how so with the 970's? Iv never used mroe then one graphics card in a system before.

and now to soound like more of an idiot'
Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
Note: that the intel build uses a Crossfire only motherboard so you won't be able to upgrade to 2 970s so you would want one that supports SLI if you going Nvida.
i have no idea what crossfire only is. Or SLI

Edit: search of SLI seems basic enough to understand the point of.
Edit2: searched crossfire as well. So lets see if i got the basic part down. The cross fire motherboard can only utilize multiple ATI Radeon graphics cards. Where as the SLIs can only link NVIDIA cards? And both the motherboard and the card would need to be compatible with the same one. - Implying that it would be beneficial to change either the card to a crossfire supported ATI, or change the motherboard to something that would support a SLI NVIDIA?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 20:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You essentially have it right. I wouldn't bother with SLI OR Crossfire unless you find a game that a single 970 won't handle, which is unlikely in the near future.

As for using a crossfire board and nvidia card, it's generally not a concern unless you actually plan on using two cards in the near future. One nice thing about Crossfire is that it's a lot more flexible in the combinations of cards allowed, they basically just have to be the same actual GPU, different vendors and even models of cards often will support Crossfire operation. Radeon cards are typically quite a bit cheaper than Nvidia, and would be more practical to use in Crossfire without breaking the bank.

SLI is more restrictive in nature. It's got limitations on the speed of the buses, type of buses, much less flexibility when it comes to mixing and matching vendors, and obviously is more costly. The upside being that Nvidia cards tend to have slightly better performance and more games are made with Nvidia in mind. So, you're likely to get better performance even with a single Nvidia card, let alone with 2 in SLI.

I personally have an SLI MoBo with 2 identical Nvidia cards and it works like a charm, but it's massive overkill for everything I have ever tried to play on it including heavily graphics-modded Skyrim.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-29 20:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

the mother board on the his intel build is a MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151.
The MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 looks much the same but with both crossfire and SLI compatible. Would that make a good replacement?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-29 21:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

the mother board on the his intel build is a MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151.
The MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 looks much the same but with both crossfire and SLI compatible. Would that make a good replacement?

It would certainly offer more flexibility if you find the 970 isn't keeping up or just isn't compatible with whatever game you want to play. Over the years nvidia cards have had some odd incompatibilities. I remember people having issues with ffxi with certain cards and drivers. There was an odd quirk with halo where the active camo was completely invisible on nvidia cards, there's probably more and similar issues with radeon cards. Having support for both technologies would be a boon for sure.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 12:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

so looking at darkk's intel build atm. Thinking of changing the
MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard to the
MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard since its both crossfire and SLI compatible.

And the case from
NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case to a
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Since it has the usb3 header and more room for the graphics card. And the graphics card length in the ATX case could block drive bays.

Leaving this build.
Since it was your build to start with, what do you think darkk?
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 12:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Assuming your TV is anywhere near your PC
I don't even own a computer monitor. I just have a TV on my desk.

MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
In my experience if it has "gaming" in the name you are over paying by a lot. The motherboard in the build I referenced earlier is like 50 bucks or something(though it is micro atx and not SLI capable, my current motherboard in my own desktop is a full atx that does SLI or crossfire and was about $35 when I bought it new 4-5 years ago).

Edit: both of those boards seem to support both SLI and Crossfire.
Second edit: I'm wrong.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 13:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
Edit: both of those boards seem to support both SLI and Crossfire.
says right on the M3; SLI Support: No
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-30 13:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

says right on the M3; SLI Support: No
says it supports both on Newegg.

Edit: nope, i read it wrong. It doesn't say that at all
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 16:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

and all those promo deals end tonight too /grin
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-11-30 17:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

SLIing Nvida card pretty much will doubles fps unless you break the 3.5gb vram barrier cause the last 500mb is slow which will happen in 4k gaming mainly or a (a lot) higher quality texture game which slows the card/s by 20%.

As for limitations you can SLI anything together as long as it's the same chipset the only problem is if GPU 1 can only do 1000mhz and GPU 2 can only do 950mhz then they will both need to be clocked at 950mhz.

I run 2 different 970s in SLI and it works fine.

DX12 which games will use in 1-2 years should fix most of the above problems.

If you don't SLI and you buy a dual card slot mobo you are kinda wasting money.
A $50-70 decent branded mobo is all you need for a single GPU Mobo.

That said I like that build because it is future proof even the PSU in it will be strong enough to run 2 970s if you want to go that way in a few years.

Last note: The OS is kinda expensive getting the OEM version at that price is not worth it... just get the none OEM version. You can find OEM licenses online for like $20-40 (remember you can upgrade 7/8/8.1 to 10 for free) but it's kinda of a grey area if it is legal if your not sure go for the retail version of 10 none OEM.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 18:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

didnt notice the OEM. However both win 10 home 64 bits show as OEM when added. The only one that doesnt is the Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)

Post deleted by User.
By darkk 2015-11-30 18:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard since its both crossfire and SLI compatible.

And the case from
Since it has the usb3 header and more room for the graphics card. And the graphics card length in the ATX case could block drive bays.

Leaving this build.

Hey OP,

You can change the motherboard to the M5 if you might be thinking about SLI in the near-future.

That Corsair case is pretty good too.. looks fine to me!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 18:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

darkk said: »

And the case from

Leaving this build.

Hey OP,

You can change the motherboard to the M5 if you might be thinking about SLI in the near-future.

That Corsair case is pretty good too.. looks fine to me!

Thank you. I know far to often when companies upgrade something they end up screwing it all up. So i wanted to make sure the M5 board was still worth it.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-30 18:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

any recommendation on thermal compound? Never used the stuff before. But heard plenty about cheap stuff not doing the job over time.
By darkk 2015-11-30 18:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The 212 EVO (cpu cooler) comes with a tube of paste, should be sufficient.

Post deleted by User.