A Prime Example Of Rad Parenting

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-22 16:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

The execution was disgraceful. Yeah, explain to us what this has to do with parenting again? Or is this just another attempt to take a dig at social issue completely removed from what's being discussed?

What kind of parent allows their kid to partake in such a "disgraceful" activity?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-22 16:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

The execution was disgraceful. Yeah, explain to us what this has to do with parenting again? Or is this just another attempt to take a dig at social issue completely removed from what's being discussed?

What kind of parent allows their kid to partake in such an activity?
A parent who made a bad choice or an activist parent.

Doesn't automatically mean that they are a bad parent, just stupid.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-22 16:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I certainly condemn people who sell out their kids out to politics.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 16:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A better example of bad parenting.

Video looks to be taken down but I hear it was pretty bad.

They said which of the 5 will it be, sad to say that it's probably already happened to each of them, as their parents are apparently rather *** up individuals.

While I don't like the idea of censorship, there's something *** up about using children for your *** propaganda. (To be fair, I'm also of the opinion that the ***like "Toddlers in Tiaras" should be shut down, and people jailed for that abuse of children and society.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-22 16:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

And you should, but it still doesn't make them a bad parent, just a stupid human being who's raising a child.
By Blazed1979 2014-10-22 16:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Parenting advice on these forums? yeah, pass.

Half-assed [+]. We have our "secret" hide-out, and it definitely isn't P&R.

To gain entrance you must invoke the spirit of Uncle Porkchop, harness the metaphorical hornets, and ponder the conundrum of 'The Saga of Stinkbombfrige'. Quality winter coat inquiries for tots are welcome, and knowing the ratio of chamomile tea to water for soothing colds and teething is a bonus.

Gardening and DIY are occasionally discussed also.

It might be boring to you anyway.
I'm ok with this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-22 16:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Using children to protest: crosses from left to right on the political spectrum covering all issues.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-22 17:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

That 4th picture could possibly get a pass though.

That kid looks old enough to understand what he is showing/protesting for.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 17:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Using children to protest: crosses from left to right on the political spectrum covering all issues.
and it's disgusting, no matter who's doing it.
[+]
By Ravenn42 2014-10-22 17:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I am really late to the party here but, having 2 kids myself I am a firm believer that if I do my job the rest will take care if itself.

I mean what do you think would be easier to get your hands on,
A Breaking Bad action figure or remote control to actually turn the real show on?

Also what do you think would be more harmful?
If my 9 year old got a hold of the breaking bad figure with the bag of meth, she still would have NO CLUE what the hell it was.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-22 17:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait....

How the frell did this go on three pages after my "she won" post?

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-22 18:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
A lot of interesting and relevant stuff.....
But he forgot or didn't know something.

Many on the right make a good living fighting imagined threats. Many more, epically on the Christian right have tried. I remember an attempted crusade by an upstate NY mom against M:TG because of the symbolism in the black cards while totally ignoring the symbolism in the white cards.

So whenever something like this arises I always wonder just a bit.

Edit: I wonder what today's Christian right would make of this card:

By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 18:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What if this guy were trying to ban Pokemon toys?

YouTube Video Placeholder

Oh wait...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-22 18:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they have tried Jet.

But I never poked a mon so it never caught my attention.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-22 18:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

hence the "oh wait..."

and you should, it's refreshing (the old ***, I stopped playing after gen2).
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-22 18:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, Call of Duty and GTA V are just as bad as the removed figures, if not worse, yet are still being sold at TRU locations.
I see that you fail to mention that these games are not sold to children by both ESRB regulations and evil corporate hags out to control your mind corporate policy.

But yet, there is no action figure or doll being sold in any toy store that has that same limitation and regulation.

So, your argument is invalid.

The way this "woman" reacted to the figures merely being there, in their own separate little section of the store, speaks volumes to me.
It tells me she was aware of where she and her child were, within the store. She took the time to read the packaging, instead of ushering her child out of that section. It almost seems like she remembered she had her child there as an afterthought, instead of what the child was potentially being exposed to being in the forefront of her mind and making her rush the child away to another section of the store.
Even if she was just passing by on her way to another section, no one told her she absolutely had to go through the adult collectors aisle to get to where she wanted to be.

Now, if she was actually doing her job as a parent, there'd be better ways she could've handled it. She could've explained to her child that a meth cook is a bad type of person and the exact reasons why, turning it into a teaching moment. She could've turned back and went through another aisle, keeping her kid out of the adults only section entirely. Either way she wouldn't have had to get her jimmies rustled over nothing. She did, however, and in doing so forced the chain to conform to her misguided world view "in order to protect my special little snowflake".
Eeyeah. Hello, lady! Your kid probably goes to public school! Like he or she doesn't know what a meth cook is already, or a drug dealer, or a convict, or a terrorist, or a gangster! She's doing nothing towards the problem except making it worse.
Now other stores are considering pulling the figure line, themselves, before other parents take up her call of "all to protect my special little snowflake"! If I honestly hear one more misguided "parent" say that in my immediate vicinity, that person has earned his or her punch in the mouth.
As for the rest of your post, what source do you have that states that Toys R Us have an "adult" section to begin with, a section that you must be 18+ to enter? Please show that for us, k?

While we are at it, please answer the following post Candlejack:

Lets do an analysis on the business situation then.

Candlejack, prior to the decision, on average, how much money did you spend at Toys R' Us per month? Per year? What did you buy from there? Who were you shopping for? Why? Are there products that you can only get there? Did you buy similar products in other stores?

There is a point to this post, so I ask you to please respond to it so I can make my point.
By sefalon 2014-10-22 21:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

@kingnobody I have been carded at TRU for action figures. A big part of TRU sales comes from Adult collectors as well. TRU as a business will sell whatever toys makes them money. If this was 20+ years ago than you can make a argument that MATURE toys should be sold only at Hobby stores but unfortunately the internet has killed that business.
TRU stated that these toys were in the adult section and by that they meant grouped together with all the other mature action figures.
NOW the last I checked a 10 year old doesn't go to TRU by themselves with a wad of cash to clean out the Breaking bad figures. Which means the parent are still responsible for what THEY buy for their kids.

TRU may have commercials geared torwards kids but its not like their mission statement says we only sell KID toys.

You are making it seem that its the exposure to actual figure itself and that makes me think you don't have kids yourself. IF you did then you would realize that most kids would need to be exsposed to that show before they even know what the stupid blue bag is.

It doesn't matter where you go our children are exsposed to so much that in the end it is always up to the parent to guide them in the right direction.

Just a few weeks ago I saw a kid at walgreens playing with a vibrator which is conveniently placed right next to the tampons.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-22 22:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that.

I have a niece and nephew which requires me to shop at Toys R Us here in San Antonio often, and (at least the ones in North Park and the Forum) neither of these stores have an adult section.

It would seem inconceivable for a kids toy store to have an adult section, but I could be mistaken. Unfortunately, I wish to have more evidence than anecdotal.
By sefalon 2014-10-22 22:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

ITs not that they have a sign that says 18 only... The Aisle is filled with all the MATURE toys. ITs not like SPAWN is next to the barbies.

I have collected toys for 20 years Im not a expert by any means but TRU is not at ANY fault here. Like I said I was carded for buying Mature rated toys and it is also up to the Teen at the resgister to notice this and not sell to a child. MY TRU has all MATURE games locked in a glass case and it would be a good idea to do the same with some of these figures I don't disagree with that part.
Taking the toys away IMO is not the answer to keep your kids from what some may deem inappropriate toys because again ALOT of these toys are bought by adults.
By Bloodrose 2014-10-22 22:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Certain markets where TRU have set up shop, do have, what appears to be an adult section, or rather, "Mature Teens" section, while others have not had the need for one.

There are several TRU locations in my city, one of the north city locations has an adult/collector's section, where many of those toys require having an adult with you, or subject to being carded.

It's just not the seedy "behind this curtain lies a world of unknown horrors or pleasures" kind of section.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Blazed1979 2014-10-23 02:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said: »
Just a few weeks ago I saw a kid at walgreens playing with a vibrator which is conveniently placed right next to the tampons.
THE NERVE!! We should start a petition to stop Walgreens from selling vibrators and other adult-oriented healthcare products!!
I just hope KN understands where we'd be going with that, however.
Girls can get their periods as young as 11. You think its fine to place a vibrator next to a product that an 11 year old might be looking up? Most girls have their periods by 15, do you think a 15 year old should have access to a vibrator?
Teen pregnancy and an over-sexualized youth population don't exist, right?
Why stop at Vibrators, why not some handcuffs and kinky lingerie? That will sell.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-23 02:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
THE NERVE!! We should start a petition to stop Walgreens from selling vibrators and other adult-oriented healthcare products!!
I just hope KN understands where we'd be going with that, however.
Girls can get their periods as young as 11. You think its fine to place a vibrator next to a product that an 11 year old might be looking up? Most girls have their periods by 15, do you think a 15 year old should have access to a vibrator?
Teen pregnancy and an over-sexualized youth population don't exist, right?
Why stop at Vibrators, why not some handcuffs and kinky lingerie? That will sell.

Good sexual health actually encourages teenagers to DO WHAT THIS IS FOR for many reason, in men lowers chances of prostate cancer (I'm not saying at 11 it's normal because honestly I wouldn't know when a girl would explore that side of themselves as we all develop differently) so this seems short sighted.

I get where you're coming from but there's bigger contributing factors to oversexualised Youth than Masturbation and Sex Toys. try TV, but I don't see you getting righteous over that ***so Pipe down.

Kinky Lingerie would be for them entertaining a Man or Woman, it wouldn't have a lot to do with them using a Vibrator at "mid teen" age.

Now if you don't mind I am going to boycott this thread as it's touching on issues that are very sensitive and could be seen as Sexist if you start saying women can't explore their sexuality from a young age through use of Aids but Men can. Because that's how it's looking to someone!
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-23 02:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
So is it ok for Toys'r'us to have a adult section for 18 and up (or 21 and up, whatever the legal adult age is in your country), to sell sex toys?

I haven't been in a Toys'r'us for years, but my impression is that it's a place for lots of kids to roam around and play with things. For a parent to be concerned about the kind of content their children may find in there isn't too surprising.

While you can say she's being over protective, there's probably a certain degree of responsibility on the business, targeting at young kids, to think about what they sell and how they sell them.

If their "15 and up" section is guarded by staff and stopping little kids from going in there then maybe it makes sense.

To say this is bad parenting is harsh. I'd say it's bad parenting if she finds that her kid is selling drugs and blame it on this toy. But all i see is a concerned mother, and she may or may not be over the top on her response to this depending on your views.

Top shelf this ***in "Ambigious Labelling" then it's only Tall Kids and Adults who have to worry >_>;

Problem solved
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 05:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ITs not that they have a sign that says 18 only... The Aisle is filled with all the MATURE toys. ITs not like SPAWN is next to the barbies.

I have collected toys for 20 years Im not a expert by any means but TRU is not at ANY fault here. Like I said I was carded for buying Mature rated toys and it is also up to the Teen at the resgister to notice this and not sell to a child. MY TRU has all MATURE games locked in a glass case and it would be a good idea to do the same with some of these figures I don't disagree with that part.
Taking the toys away IMO is not the answer to keep your kids from what some may deem inappropriate toys because again ALOT of these toys are bought by adults.
I don't think anyone (besides Candlejack) is blaming Toys R Us for selling adult-themed toys. We all know that they will refuse to sell a Mature-rated video game to kids.

I guess there isn't a market for mature-themed toys in San Antonio. That may be why there isn't an "adult's section" in (at least the two I mentioned) the San Antonio locations.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-23 06:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that.

I have a niece and nephew which requires me to shop at Toys R Us here in San Antonio often, and (at least the ones in North Park and the Forum) neither of these stores have an adult section.

It would seem inconceivable for a kids toy store to have an adult section, but I could be mistaken. Unfortunately, I wish to have more evidence than anecdotal.
KN, next time you go in there to shop for your niece and nephew, do us all a favor and actually snoop around the aisles. Get a feel for the whole store, aside from maybe the two or three aisles total you might normally visit. Does it still sell Barbie, Lego and G.I Joe? Yes. However, I guarantee if you look around long enough, you'll find Game of Thrones, Power Rangers Legacy (die-cast Zords, Morphers, Dragon Dagger, ALL aimed at the age 15+ crowd, don't ask how I'm so well-versed in that), the Hasbro Masterpiece (MP) line of Transformers based on the old G1 designs, toylines offered by Mezco, Neca, Bandai Tamashii Nations, Revoltech, Max Factory...
Seeing these around is the tell-tale signs you've set foot into your local TRU's adult collectors area, and as sefalon has stated, I can also verify it... they WILL ask you to present a valid state-issued photo id to purchase these figures. As amazing as it sounds, they'll card you for MP Megatron, just as much as they'll card you for GTA V. It's their policy not to sell these items to people under 15 years of age.
You'd give your niece a $15-$20 dollar Barbie doll in whatever flavor of the month Mattel currently has on offering on TRU's shelves. You WOULDN'T, however, give your niece a $60-$120 S.H MonsterArts figure that happens to be exceedingly fragile if handled with the hamhands most young'uns tend to have with toys. There's a clear, differential line separating what you'd buy to pose and display on a shelf, and what you'd buy to give to the likes of your son, daughter, niece, nephew, or younger cousin to pacify them for a few hours. But... You're an outsider, obviously, to the hobbyist adult toy collector lifestyle, so you wouldn't understand any of that.
You know, you still haven't answered my question earlier.

Why don't you give that a try before asking hypotheticals and such yourself....
By Blazed1979 2014-10-23 09:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Good sexual health actually encourages teenagers to DO WHAT THIS IS FOR for many reason, in men lowers chances of prostate cancer (I'm not saying at 11 it's normal because honestly I wouldn't know when a girl would explore that side of themselves as we all develop differently) so this seems short sighted.

Thanks Dr. Conagh. I don't know if you're suggesting that teenage males use vibrators to masturbate or that young girls who get their periods should automatically begin exploring their sexuality? which is it oh wise objective moral one?

Quote:
I get where you're coming from but there's bigger contributing factors to oversexualised Youth than Masturbation and Sex Toys. try TV, but I don't see you getting righteous over that ***so Pipe down.
When dealing with specifics, one addresses specifics. I don't like the fact that the advertising industry is refining its practices to take into account new technologies and psychology findings to fine-tune their advertisements to work on people's heightened memory retention during emotional stress and fear. But its irrelevant to this specific conversation. Try to keep up and keep that ADD in check.

Quote:
Kinky Lingerie would be for them entertaining a Man or Woman, it wouldn't have a lot to do with them using a Vibrator at "mid teen" age.
Are you male and hetrosexual? I'm starting to think maybe you're not. First you imply some correlation between vibrators and male prostrate issues, and now you're saying young-mid age teens wouldn't associate lingerie with sex?... were you ever a young male hetrosexual teen? I exclude homosexual from that statement because I have no primary or secondary knowledge of what turns on homosexual young teens, and I wouldn't assume that what is so for hetrosexuals is the same for homosexuals, before you pull the "homophobe" card on me since you seem to be all over the place.

Quote:
Now if you don't mind I am going to boycott this thread as it's touching on issues that are very sensitive and could be seen as Sexist if you start saying women can't explore their sexuality from a young age through use of Aids but Men can. Because that's how it's looking to someone!

Good, be gone. You got a +1 from Jet, you're on the right track.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 17 18 19