Tried The "Return Home Campagin" Couldn't

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Tried the "Return Home campagin" Couldn't
Tried the "Return Home campagin" Couldn't
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-11 12:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Download went well but at the point where the POL browser should close and the first full screen window should open I get a Windows Features box that locks solid in a permanent (Not Responding) mode.

"Play Online on your PC needs the following Windows feature

DirectPlay

=> Install this feature

=> Skip this installation"

And while this hard locked box is up, my task manager is locked solid the moment I activate it.

HALP!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-12 10:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump. Still looking for an answer.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-12 10:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry I have no idea.

you on windows 8? I think there's a patch for that. I could make some ***up, then someone would be here in two seconds to tell me why I'm a jackass!

I think it has something to do with your turbo encabulator.
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-12 11:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you trying to install XI again?

I've done all my XI installations through Steam.
May need to make sure you got right drivers (like directX and stuff) and run it as administrator
By Jetackuu 2014-09-12 14:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

lolsteam...

@Chanti: are you running as admin? what's the UAC setting? does your machine have direct3d acceleration? (run a dxdiag to find out).

I'll be back on tomorrow, gotta go to work then a party.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2014-09-12 14:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Most likely, it's looking for an older version of DirectX. You could try running the End User Runtime installer.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-13 10:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Are you trying to install XI again? ....
Nope, never uninstalled it.

Jetackuu said: »
@Chanti: are you running as admin? what's the UAC setting? does your machine have direct3d acceleration? (run a dxdiag to find out).

I'll be back on tomorrow, gotta go to work then a party.
Trying to run as admin now, same result.

Asura.Isiolia said: »
Most likely, it's looking for an older version of DirectX. You could try running the End User Runtime installer.
I will give that a try.

I suspect this could be my machine is running on the Intel 4000 and not on the 650m. The 4000 and XI is a no go IIRC.

Edit: ran the runtime installer same result.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 04:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Need more information on your system. Windows version (7,8, etc.).

Windowed mode or full screen? Using Windower?

Do you have the opening movie disabled in FFXI config?

Should be unchecked like this:

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 04:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

As for the issue of direct play under windows 8.1 (if that's what you're running)

Open Control Panel
Open Programs
Open Programs and Features
Turn Windows Features on or off
Open Legacy Components
Make sure DirectPlay is checked.

(Unchecked here)

Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-14 10:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Chaosx.

Windows 8.1.

Legacy components is, and has been, unchecked.

Turned off the opening movie, turned on graphics stabilization, trying again.

I use the native windowed version, never did use windower, nor Steam.

Edit: Same result.....

Edit 2: Is there a program... oh, pardon, ap that will let me see which graphics processor the machine is actually using?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 11:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Thanks Chaosx.

Windows 8.1.

Legacy components is, and has been, unchecked.

Turned off the opening movie, turned on graphics stabilization, trying again.

I use the native windowed version, never did use windower, nor Steam.

Edit: Same result.....

Edit 2: Is there a program... oh, pardon, ap that will let me see which graphics processor the machine is actually using?
Program is the right word.

Legacy component -> DirectPlay should be checked, not unchecked. As the original error is indicating it needs DirectPlay to function.

The picture was just one I found for reference so you'd know you were in the right place.

Check it, since it's unchecked. That should do it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-14 12:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

In the nvidia control panel you should be able to set which gpu a program uses, one of like the only reasons I bother to install the bloatware instead of just the drivers, for when I have a multigpu system.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 13:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The error has nothing to do with video or graphics btw. DirectPlay is a network communication library. All they need to do is check the box since it's been established to be not checked atm.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-14 22:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The error has nothing to do with video or graphics btw. DirectPlay is a network communication library. All they need to do is check the box since it's been established to be not checked atm.

Oh I wasn't referencing that at all, just that she asked if there was a way to control which gpu the game used.

I'm going to have to look into that issue though, as I will eventually be dealing with people who have 8.1 /sigh
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-15 04:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I wasn't referencing that at all, just that she asked if there was a way to control which gpu the game used.

I'm going to have to look into that issue though, as I will eventually be dealing with people who have 8.1 /sigh
I was just referring the overall talk about graphics, hence I why I overlooked the directplay part in the OP.

But yeah I hear you, not looking forward to 8.1 support.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-15 04:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just referring the overall talk about graphics, hence I why I overlooked the directplay part in the OP.

I still use 7 myself, most of the time pro, as well I've had keys for it since I got it, but I just use windows loader now as I'm too lazy to call to get my keys activated as well, I reinstall all the time, and vms and such. "Ain't nobody got time for dat" (entering 54 digits twice...) I unfortunately have to do though on my 2008r2 server vms though, as windows loader won't work on xenserver vms...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-15 10:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

In the nvidia control panel you should be able to set which gpu a program uses, one of like the only reasons I bother to install the bloatware instead of just the drivers, for when I have a multigpu system.
I have set the machine to run on the 650m full time. I suspect it isn't though.

I also have FFXIV set to use the 650m as well.

Legacy component -> DirectPlay should be checked, not unchecked. As the original error is indicating it needs DirectPlay to function.

Checked and attempting to launch.

YAY!!!! IT WORKED!!!

Thanks bunches.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-15 11:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I have set the machine to run on the 650m full time. I suspect it isn't though.

I also have FFXIV set to use the 650m as well.

Checked and attempting to launch.

YAY!!!! IT WORKED!!!

Thanks bunches.
You're welcome! :D
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-15 11:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I still use 7 myself, most of the time pro, as well I've had keys for it since I got it, but I just use windows loader now as I'm too lazy to call to get my keys activated as well, I reinstall all the time, and vms and such. "Ain't nobody got time for dat" (entering 54 digits twice...) I unfortunately have to do though on my 2008r2 server vms though, as windows loader won't work on xenserver vms...
Pro or better.
Only home edition I dealt with was the one that came on the laptop I bought my mom for her birthday 2 years ago.
 Carbuncle.Amriel
Server: Carbuncle
user: macy85
By Carbuncle.Amriel 2014-09-15 11:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

little ot. i want to try the return home campaign with an old account. I migrated it to SE account system and i have a few characters with "cancelled" state. When i try to log in, i push "play" but POL says i have no content IDs...shouldn't they be all active during this week?
thx
By Jetackuu 2014-09-15 15:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah: I didn't start using ultimate until more recently, didn't really have a reason to, even though I've had access to it for a long time now.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-15 15:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

u must be looking forward to 9s release next year'
By Jetackuu 2014-09-15 15:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

u must be looking forward to 9s release next year'

Honestly don't care, 7's really stable for me, and I have everything I use working, I may consider it though, as I run my game in vms now.
By Pantafernando 2014-09-15 15:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont get.
My account was cancelled due to SE monronic site to accept my cc.
Wasnt I elegible to play at least more 2 free days?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-15 15:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I dont get.
My account was cancelled due to SE monronic site to accept my cc.
Wasnt I elegible to play at least more 2 free days?
nope, it only reactivated deactivated characters, not a free period for those who were playing, kinda *** imo.

I had to reactivate my main and one alt last night and after the main it was giving me ***on the alt (dunno why, it's always worked before), so I had to use paypal for the 2nd transaction to purchase crysta...