Dolphin hunting season
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dolphin hunting season kicks off in Japan

The controversial six-month dolphin hunting season began on Monday in the infamous town of Taiji, but bad weather would delay any killing, a local official told AFP.

The annual catch, in which people from the southwestern town corral hundreds of dolphins into a secluded bay and butcher them, was thrust into the global spotlight in 2010 when it became the subject of the Oscar-winning documentary "The Cove"

Two dolphins are herded by fishing boats near the village of Taiji, central Japan, on Nov. 23, 2003.

"The dolphin hunting season started today and will last until the end of February," said an official of the Taiji fisheries association, adding the season for hunting pilot whales, which also begins today, will last until April.

But bad weather on Monday meant there would be no hunting on the day, he said.

Environmental campaigners are already in situ to watch the hunt, the official said.

Last season, activists from international environmental group Sea Shepherd, who call themselves "Cove Guardians", streamed live footage of the dolphin capture.

Earlier this year, the slaughter sparked renewed global criticism after US ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy tweeted her concern at the "inhumaneness" of the hunt.

Defenders say it is a tradition and point out that the animals it targets are not endangered, a position echoed by the Japanese government.

They say Western objections are hypocritical and ignore the vastly larger number of cows, pigs and sheep butchered to satisfy demand elsewhere.

But critics of the practice say there is insufficient demand for the animals' meat, which in any case contains dangerous levels of mercury.

They say the hunt is only profitable because of the high prices live dolphins can fetch when sold to aquariums and dolphin shows.

On Sunday around 30 people marched in Tokyo to protest the hunt, which they say sullies Japan's reputation abroad.

Source
 Leviathan.Sagiaurex
Server: Leviathan
user: Sagiaurex
By Leviathan.Sagiaurex 2014-09-01 13:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :(
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-09-01 13:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting the actual youtube video never seems to work for me =/
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

hunting for survival or food is one thing, but to round up a bunch of animals to kill for the sake of 'tradition' i find pretty despicable.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 13:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

It's because you're logged into a secure page... take out the "s" in "HTTPS"
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels applicable..

"Going quail hunting is like saying 'im going fishing' and going to a goldfish bowl and going 'Got it!!'"
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-09-01 13:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

It's because you're logged into a secure page... take out the "s" in "HTTPS"

Oh. Well thats good to know. Thanks
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-01 13:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, seems like Dolphin is an arbitrary line to draw when a million other species are butchered too. But hey, Flipper was a thing Someone remembers, therefore dolphin is off limits.

If the species is threatened, okay, for conversational reasons *** off and deal with less delicious dolphin/whale for a while. But that's not the case here I think.
 Valefor.Mattyc
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Mattyc 2014-09-01 13:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

seriously this makes me sick, slaughtering dolphins is *** horrible, slaughtering anything for *** sakes....operation make another species go extinct because of mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people think its fun is a go....we should hunt Japanese people, im starting a army who's joining me?...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Meh, seems like Dolphin is an arbitrary line to draw when a million other species are butchered too. But hey, Flipper was a thing Someone remembers, therefore dolphin is off limits.

If the species is threatened, okay, for conversational reasons *** off and deal with less delicious dolphin/whale for a while. But that's not the case here I think.

i repeat..

Odin.Godofgods said: »
hunting for survival or food is one thing, but to round up a bunch of animals to kill for the sake of 'tradition' i find pretty despicable.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-01 13:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Repeat it one more time, I missed it again.
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2014-09-01 13:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i repeat..

Kinda like thanksgiving...

>.>
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-01 13:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Repeat it one more time, I missed it again.

sad thing is, i could actually believe that'
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
Server: Bahamut
user: Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2014-09-01 13:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't agree with the NUMBER of dolphins taken, it seems that if the Japanese are able to year-after-year hunt the same amount of dolphins while keeping it off the endangered species list, there must be some control that our western media is ignoring to report in order to create a hate towards a non-western tradition/culture.
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2014-09-01 13:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd try dolphin. Seems like it might taste pretty good.

Quote:
Bender: Who wants dolphin?
Leela: Dolphin? But dolphins are intelligent.
Bender: Not this one. He blew all his money on instant lottery tickets.
Fry: OK.
Leela: Oh, OK.
Amy: That's different.
Farnsworth: Good, good.
Leela: Pass the blowhole.
Amy: Can I have a fluke?
Hermes: Hey, quit hogging the bottle-nose.
Farnsworth: Toss me the speech centre of the brain!

Couldn't find a clip, so take a quote.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-01 13:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

obviously they are a dolphin rape survivor support group meeting to exact revenge, mind your own business.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 13:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Meaikidou said: »
While I don't agree with the NUMBER of dolphins taken, it seems that if the Japanese are able to year-after-year hunt the same amount of dolphins while keeping it off the endangered species list, there must be some control that our western media is ignoring to report in order to create a hate towards a non-western tradition/culture.

Eh, commercial fisheries operate outside the natural population systems that things like sport fishing do. It's actually a pretty fascinating subject. When they closed down the Estoria fisheries, they has incredible loss of fish population. Something along the lines of an artificially inflated population returning unchecked and laying eggs on top of each other and exhausting their food supply. Some commercial fisheries that have been closed abruptly actually caused near extinctions.
 Bahamut.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-09-01 14:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Dolphin is surprisingly tasty, its not as nice as whale though. Whale is in a league of its own
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-09-01 14:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm only slightly more against dolphin hunting than human hunting
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-01 16:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take the Japanese killing dolphins over the Americans/Israelis killing children any day.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-09-01 16:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh Dolphin hunting seems like it would be fun, but I prefer weasel stomping day