California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Jetackuu 2014-09-02 15:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

wait, what's wrong with self checkout lines now?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I don't remember using the word "failure", but I wouldn't consider them that either, I'd consider them an option that is poorly utilized by people with unrealistic ambition. Just because someone lets you sit in the cockpit doesn't mean you should be flying a plane.
Vic is considering them as a failure. You were responding to what I responded to Vic's assertion.

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
We already come to the conclusion that the problem with self-checkout lines is the user, not the system like you suggested.

The system requires a user, wouldn't that make the system broken in design? It's like saying a Hospital would be great if it weren't for all the sick people.
If the system is broken for every user, then you would have a point.

When it works for most people, but the few who are either computer illiterate or, in Vic's case, life illiterate, then how can you blame the system for not working for those few people?

A real system designer would iterate and improve, but doing half the work is okay too I guess.
Who's saying that the self-checkout system isn't improving? I'm sure that there were many more issues when it first was implemented.

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
almost 80% of the problems that arise, come from improper coding, or registering of the barcode into the system sustaining the self-checkout machines.
To be honest, I never experienced an issue like that. That would have never crossed my mind either, because if there is an issue with the self-checkout system with improper coding, there would be the exact same issue with the cashier system also, since they both use the same system.
They link into the same mother system, but are operated differently - at the cashier, you have someone who can fix a problem immediate, or make a call. Self Checkout, you have one bored *** *** trying to forget they work the self checkout, babying the idiots who can't seem to find the barcode staring at them in the face.
True.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Vic is saying that they are too hard for him.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 15:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember using the word "failure", but I wouldn't consider them that either, I'd consider them an option that is poorly utilized by people with unrealistic ambition. Just because someone lets you sit in the cockpit doesn't mean you should be flying a plane.
Vic is considering them as a failure. You were responding to what I responded to Vic's assertion.

Not every response is in disagreement, try reading the content of a post instead of assuming the content based on a quote train.
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-09-02 15:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have any trouble using self-checkout, but I tend to avoid it anyway, if I can help it.

My local Walmart has (I believe) 8 self-checkout registers, and at any given time, half of them aren't working. Of the remaining half, at least 2 are in need of assistance (which usually isn't there), while the rest are being used by people who, shall we say, really put the idiot-proof machines through their paces.

I usually find it's easier, less-stressful, and often faster to just go through a cashier line.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 15:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

"They said they were idiot-proof! Well, we put their name to the test!"
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 15:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

User error...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-02 15:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

... I guess I can't say much since you know I've operated a register for years, but considering there's a lot of people that can't handle operating a gas pump, people's stupidity knows no bounds.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 15:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I carry all my groceries in hand made bags woven from artificial silk yarn.
you monster, creating deadly chemicals yourself!
Would you rather I harvest spiders?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 15:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

At Walmart I will only use self check out.

At Shoprite I prefer the personal touch, but at Walmart, no thanks.

At Shoprite you have some cute chick that checks you out. Quick, efficient, and some idle chit chat.

At Walmart you have sadness and misery that takes forever and still can't figure it out. Even worse when you can't understand what they are saying.
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-09-02 15:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

At Walmart you have sadness and misery that takes forever and still can't figure it out. Even worse when you can't understand what they are saying.

Or what their gender is.

I also have to wonder sometimes why some cashiers think it's perfectly natural to bag a hot rotisserie chicken with frozen beef.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 16:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Squintik said: »

Or what their gender is.

I also have to wonder sometimes why some cashiers think it's perfectly natural to bag a hot rotisserie chicken with frozen beef.

I'd put it more in the category of lack of common sense than lack of training or motivation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 16:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Or what their gender is.

I'd put it more in the category of lack of common sense than lack of training or motivation.
That's just plain ignorant. I'd place them into being functionally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

They can function minimally, but are still HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 16:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Or what their gender is.

That's just plain ignorant. I'd place them into being functionally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

They can function minimally, but are still HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
That and they don't care, they're working a low paying job, so yeah, lol.

What astounds me is that every place that hires you as a cashier always tells you that "you're the most important worker there because you make sure the customer leaves happy"... yet are the worst treated and usually least paid job while working there. Boggles my mind.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 16:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Or what their gender is.

That and they don't care, they're working a low paying job, so yeah, lol.

What astounds me is that every place that hires you as a cashier always tells you that "you're the most important worker there because you make sure the customer leaves happy"... yet are the worst treated and usually least paid job while working there. Boggles my mind.
It stopped boggling my mind the day I entered the work force. They'll spoon feed you any kind of *** to make the people they ultimately treat like ***, feel somewhat, marginally, almost somewhat important.

They deal with the most irate of customers on a bad day, and grumbly customers ready to go off on the best of days.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2014-09-02 18:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have any trouble using self-checkout, but I tend to avoid it anyway, if I can help it.

My local Walmart has (I believe) 8 self-checkout registers, and at any given time, half of them aren't working. Of the remaining half, at least 2 are in need of assistance (which usually isn't there), while the rest are being used by people who, shall we say, really put the idiot-proof machines through their paces.

I usually find it's easier, less-stressful, and often faster to just go through a cashier line.

I prefer the self checkout line because at the local Walmart in my town, they have like 30 checkout lines, and probably another 8-10 self checkout. On a saturday afternoon, there will be maybe 6 of those 30 registers open with lines 10 people deep, carts full of groceries and clothes and whatnot. I just want a bottle of shampoo and a light bulb :(
Gotta love those self checkout lanes. A lot of people seem intimidated by them so theyre always open.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-02 18:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

... I guess I can't say much since you know I've operated a register for years, but considering there's a lot of people that can't handle operating a gas pump, people's stupidity knows no bounds.

in somes defense, its illegal to pump your own gas in new jersey.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-02 18:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I'm aware, and I make a lot of NJ jokes anyway, that just adds to it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 18:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

And Oregon.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 22:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

No one called them a failure, lol. KN was just desperate to be right, still didn't happen for him, and its not going to. It was amusing to watch him try tho.