Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Building an infinite game - No Man's Sky
Building an infinite game - No Man's Sky
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-24 10:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Do check the story out, its somewhat amazing.

No Man’s Sky: A Vast Game Crafted by Algorithms - MIT Technology Review.

Quote:
A new computer game, No Man’s Sky, demonstrates a new way to build computer games filled with diverse flora and fauna.

The game itself: No Man’s Sky

Edit: This is the second game the MIT Technology Review has EVER reviewed. Minecraft was the first.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-24 10:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

While the game looks nice, one has got to ask: what's the point of the game?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-24 10:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think a review in the MIT Technology Review would go into that.

Looks to be about surviving and exploring in an infinite universe.

But then again what's the point of any game?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-24 10:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
But then again what's the point of any game?
Entertainment based on what the gamer wants.

If it's a good story, jumping around collecting items, or blowing ***up, it's all entertainment for the player.

I guess for this game it would be exploration/survival, if it has elements that creates the challenge to survive that is.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2014-07-24 13:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine a mmorpg where everything is procedureally generated. You literally don't know what's around the corner. Can you say adventure? Oh or how about final fantasy themed, procedureally generated rpg?

I mean, between static, linear game, this is something new, it has just been extremely difficult to achieve.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-24 13:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

The game actually has a narrative, the only thing the developers say is the "Primary Goal" is to work your way to the center of the galaxy.

Wordspoken said: »
Imagine a mmorpg where everything is procedureally generated. You literally don't know what's around the corner. Can you say adventure? Oh or how about final fantasy themed, procedureally generated rpg?

I mean, between static, linear game, this is something new, it has just been extremely difficult to achieve.

MMORPG is a term the devs don't like, because to them, it's just coincidental that people occupy the same galaxy/universe. They start people off as far away as possible from each other, and have no real means of facilitating contact other than natural exploration.

Anyway, Between No Man's Sky and Destiny, PS4 = Go *** yourself for now PC, I'll buy you later.

My biggest fear for No Man's Sky is that it winds up falling into Starbound's trap of feeling way too artificial and gamey.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-24 13:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

The game actually has a narrative, the only thing the developers say is the "Primary Goal" is to work your way to the center of the galaxy.

Wordspoken said: »

MMORPG is a term the devs don't like, because to them, it's just coincidental that people occupy the same galaxy/universe. They start people off as far away as possible from each other, and have no real means of facilitating contact other than natural exploration.

Anyway, Between No Man's Sky and Destiny, PS4 = Go *** yourself for now PC, I'll buy you later.

I like the idea of sandbox games more than the actual gameplay. This looks awesome, but I'd imagine it takes a decent amount of childish wonderment for it to actually keep your attention.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-24 13:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

"No Man's Sky: adequately lonely."

-Josiafk.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-24 13:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just how I play games, I always need a long-term goal. From Skyrim to Minecraft, I can't *** with nothing pushing me. Entertainment for its own sake is just something I find not particularly engaging.

The goal can be an abstract though, and it doesn't mean I tackle something in a linear fashion, there just has to be a "Path" that I can wander to and fro as the situation calls for it.

Probably the reason why I have a hard time playing Skyrim after beating the Main Quest with a given character.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [640 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-24 16:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The Art Of 'No Man's Sky': Breathtaking Scenes And The Magic Of Algorithms [Video]
Tech Times

Quote:
No Man's Sky's stunning graphics are only one of the reasons why Sci-Fi geeks are hyped up about it.

The developers released a video explaining how visual algorithms expand the game's universe, as one of the core features of the game is its reliance on procedural generation on an epic scale.

What this implies is that when Hello Games artists craft a spiky animal back or an unusual set of leaves, these elements get mashed and combined in whopping combinations throughout the full in-game universe.

The developers explain in the presentation video that the new DNA for plants and creatures does not simply pop up out of the blue, as there are complex algorithms at work to keep things easy to understand and interesting, if not downright pleasing to the eye.

Grant Duncan, the art director of No Man's Sky, explains in the clip that a vast color theory system governs the way in which planets are hued. You may want to watch the amazing video embedded at the end of this article.

"Leaves have complimentary colors compared to the grass," Duncan notes.

The silhouettes that players encounter bow to the same general rules.

"If a planet's very hot, [...] everything becomes a little bit more dried out or you'll get more sharp shapes," Hello Games point out.

If the team behind the game is to be trusted, the more you advance toward the center of the No Man's Sky Universe, both landscapes and creatures morph to become increasingly "unsettling."

For those who have been living under a rock, No Man's Sky is one of the most anticipated games of the last 10 years. It will be an exploration game of gargantuan proportions, in which players hop from planet to planet, not two of which are identical.

The gaming company boasts that the game comprises about 18 quintillion planets, the majority of which are procedurally generated and populated. This implies that the randomly generated world gives you the possibility to visit more planets than you can think of, most of which will be populated with unique alien breeds.

Hello Games anticipates that a titillating sense of discovery and deep human curiosity will push players to explore the algorithmic universe of No Man's Sky. A 15 minute demo that came out earlier this month certainly highlights this point. If that was not enough, the developers are betting that many of the planets will entice powerful emotions in players, basically elevating the game to art status.

YouTube Video Placeholder
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-27 20:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sources: No Man's Sky Delayed
kotaku"

Quote:
The ambitious space game No Man’s Sky has been delayed, two sources tell Kotaku. We don’t know exactly what the new release date is—and it may not be finalized yet—but we’re hearing it’s been bumped until at least July or August.

Developed by a small UK-based team called Hello Games, No Man’s Sky has been much hyped since it was revealed back in 2013, seeing extensive coverage everywhere from the Stephen Colbert show to The New Yorker. Last October, the developers announced that it’d be out in June of 2016, but that appears to have changed.

A reliable Kotaku source was the first to inform us of the delay. A second source, who works at GameStop, said they received marketing materials today for No Man’s Sky with the original June 21 release date. However, stores were informed that the release date is no longer correct and that they should cover it up with a “Coming Soon” label:

Sony and Hello Games did not respond to requests for comment by publication time.

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-05-28 13:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

August 9 NA, 10 EU, 12 UK
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-28 13:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the idea of this game a lot.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-28 13:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Its the only one I am looking forward to.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-05-29 02:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like the idea of big galaxy-wide sandbox games like Elite Dangerous, Empyrion Galactic Survival, Endless Sky, etc. and the graphics have a very 'sci-fi-novel-cover-illustration' feel to them (in terms of colour-palette, textures, and organic design)--so it's promising (to me, at least) for sure.

A lot of open-ended sandbox games like Empyrion and ED fall into a cycle of repetition, though, after the novelty of the background simulation wears out (to be replaced by self-generated goals, grinding, community-creation, etc.) so hopefully there is a good basic game-design upon which to build those amazing graphics, that allows for long-term replay-ability (past the "ooh-ah" stage.) ^^

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Its the only one I am looking forward to.

Well, I saw this one that seems promising also, though... :)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/265930/announcements/detail/957391954760108795
[+]