Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 01:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They're just spewing Ray Comfort's *** anyway. Get Kirk Cameron in here with a couple bananas and we've got a real party.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 01:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

How 'bout a crocoduck?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-26 01:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Actually, Newton demonstrated gravity but gave no proof, or even a real idea, what or why it is. If you want to get technical, the mechanics of gravity weren't really hammered out until around the 1940's when they could actually observably test Einstein's theory of special relativity. Even to this day, the mechanics of gravity aren't perfectly understood in the real of the subatomic.

It's far more concise than AGC, I'll give you that, but it's far from a 500 year old proven theory.

That's very similar to evolution. Charles Darwin's Origin of Species in 1859 demonstrated evolution via the finches and postulated several mechanisms that drive evolution. One of which was found to not always be true, survival of the fittest.

The reason why evolution became able to be proved is because the definition was revised some years ago to the following:

Quote:
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

Darwin's definition was about changes in inherited traits that were always beneficial. Darwin didn't understand that evolution could/would select bad traits or play genetic roulette. Darwin really thought evolution was about selecting the best of the best and survival of the fittest. This is a huge misconception people have to this day.

The mechanics which drive evolution, in a particular instance, will never fully be understood because they don't always work together and sometimes they oppose each other e.g. altruism vs natural selection. However, evolution(the new definition) can easily be proven. One way is via reverse transcription and retroviruses.

EDIT: Didn't we have this exact same discussion a few threads back?

When the Evolution definition is rewrote to fit perfectly with genetics, then yea.. Makes it a lot easier to prove..

Genetics
The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms of hereditary transmission and the variation of inherited characteristics among similar or related organisms.

Uh... no, genetics is the study of the genome. It's about mapping traits to specific sequences of genetic code, deconstructing them mechanisms of procreation on the chemical level. Darwinian evolution hasn't been redefined, it's been refined with ADDITIONAL information from 2 centuries of study.
By Altimaomega 2014-07-26 01:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
huh
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Pay no attention to the copy and paste post Pleebo.

I see you guys a lacking some......

Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 01:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

huh
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-07-26 01:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, Newton demonstrated gravity but gave no proof, or even a real idea, what or why it is. If you want to get technical, the mechanics of gravity weren't really hammered out until around the 1940's when they could actually observably test Einstein's theory of special relativity. Even to this day, the mechanics of gravity aren't perfectly understood in the real of the subatomic.

It's far more concise than AGC, I'll give you that, but it's far from a 500 year old proven theory.

That's very similar to evolution. Charles Darwin's Origin of Species in 1859 demonstrated evolution via the finches and postulated several mechanisms that drive evolution. One of which was found to not always be true, survival of the fittest.

The reason why evolution became able to be proved is because the definition was revised some years ago to the following:

Quote:
Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.

Darwin's definition was about changes in inherited traits that were always beneficial. Darwin didn't understand that evolution could/would select bad traits or play genetic roulette. Darwin really thought evolution was about selecting the best of the best and survival of the fittest. This is a huge misconception people have to this day.

The mechanics which drive evolution, in a particular instance, will never fully be understood because they don't always work together and sometimes they oppose each other e.g. altruism vs natural selection. However, evolution(the new definition) can easily be proven. One way is via reverse transcription and retroviruses.

When the Evolution definition is rewrote to fit perfectly with genetics, then yea.. Makes it a lot easier to prove..

Genetics
The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms of hereditary transmission and the variation of inherited characteristics among similar or related organisms.

Uh... no, genetics is the study of the genome. It's about mapping traits to specific sequences of genetic code, deconstructing them mechanisms of procreation on the chemical level. Darwinian evolution hasn't been redefined, it's been refined with ADDITIONAL information from 2 centuries of study.

So your basically saying evolution has now been redefined to line up with something that has been known pretty much forever.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-26 01:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Genetics

So your basically saying evolution has now been redefined to line up with something that has been known pretty much forever.

Do you read English? It's worse than trying to have a conversation with SIRI...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-26 01:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought of evolution in general as being the most common sense thing ever.

Edit: Actually, I think the only reason evolution is even an issue with people is because somewhere along the line evolution became synonymous with the "man from ape" idea, and many religious people fight the general principle of evolution as if somehow the idea that species can evolve somehow disproves God or something.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 01:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I always thought of evolution in general as being the most common sense thing ever.

Nature is intuitive like that, which is why Science can create predictive models so effectively. And since the human brain is optimized for pattern recognition, well, again, nature is intuitive. She has to be, pitiless *** that she is.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-26 07:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

huh
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Pay no attention to the copy and paste post Pleebo.

I see you guys a lacking some......

You (specifically) really, really, should question what you "know" more. You should also listen when people actually give you the information about the things you are questioning. By all means, investigate what experts are saying and try to point out potential flaws, but don't sit there and go "Nuh-uh, can't be that 'cause I want it to be this".
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-26 07:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, take that objectivity nonsense elsewhere. There's no place for that in P&R.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-26 07:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Darwin's definition was about changes in inherited traits that were always beneficial.
No, just that it would tend towards preserving favorable, rather than unfavorable, traits.
In October 1838, that is, fifteen months after I had begun my systematic enquiry, I happened to read for amusement Malthus on Population, and being well prepared to appreciate the struggle for existence which everywhere goes on from long-continued observation of the habits of animals and plants, it at once struck me that under these circumstances favourable variations would tend to be preserved, and unfavourable ones to be destroyed. The result of this would be the formation of new species. Here, then, I had at last got a theory by which to work; but I was so anxious to avoid prejudice, that I determined not for some time to write even the briefest sketch of it. In June 1842 I first allowed myself the satisfaction of writing a very brief abstract of my theory in pencil in 35 pages; and this was enlarged during the summer of 1844 into one of 230 pages, which I had fairly copied out and still possess.
Baconwrap said:

The mechanics which drive evolution, in a particular instance, will never fully be understood because they don't always work together and sometimes they oppose each other e.g. altruism vs natural selection.
What? You'll need to please clarify how altruism is a mechanism for driving evolution, unless this is a heritable trait. Arguably, non-heritable social criteria would be artificial selection, not natural selection (unless it is a heritable trait).
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-26 07:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Actually, I think the only reason evolution is even an issue with people is because somewhere along the line evolution became synonymous with the "man from ape" idea, and many religious people fight the general principle of evolution as if somehow the idea that species can evolve somehow disproves God or something.
Isn't the concept of religion based on the belief for the sake of believing/belonging?
I mean, if someone came along and "disproved God", and you stopped believing in he/she/it, then... that wasn't actually being religious, was it?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-26 07:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

Nature is intuitive like that, which is why Science can create predictive models so effectively. And since the human brain is optimized for pattern recognition, well, again, nature is intuitive. She has to be, pitiless *** that she is.
Special relativity and quamtum mechanics see your intuition and invite it to take a nice short walk off a steep cliff.

Last one for a bit, honest.
By fonewear 2014-07-26 08:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't paying attention can you post that again ?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 11:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You're actually wrong, Survival of the Fittest still applies, as survival of the "Fittest" doesn't mean that which is the strongest, but that which fits into it's niche or environment

I'm not wrong. I don't think you read exactly what I wrote.

Quote:
One of which was found to not always be true, survival of the fittest.

Altruism is an example in which survival of the fittest is not applicable. Hence why the concept survival of the nicest is presented in genetics courses.

Evolutionary mechanisms and how they apply to a particular ecosystem are always more complicated than the black and white definitions that are presented.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 11:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Evolutionary genetics.
By fonewear 2014-07-26 11:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This sounds too much like Science. I don't want to learn in my spare time !
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 12:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You're actually wrong, Survival of the Fittest still applies, as survival of the "Fittest" doesn't mean that which is the strongest, but that which fits into it's niche or environment

I'm not wrong. I don't think you read exactly what I wrote.

Quote:
One of which was found to not always be true, survival of the fittest.

Altruism is an example in which survival of the fittest is not applicable. Hence why the concept survival of the nicest is presented in genetics courses.

There is no altruism, if you believe there is you need to examine the claims much deeper. Either for reasons of Ego (Usually human), appearing the superior mate (Tribe sentry mentality in some mammals) or near-genetic protection (Another tribe based function) there is never sacrifice for no gain.

The last is a bit confusing, but consider that most female animals get nailed in a 24hour period by a few dozen males, and you create a situation where, at least in tribe-group based animal groups, direct parentage is almost impossible to discern. A species that does not protect its offspring is a species that is not fit.
By fonewear 2014-07-26 12:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are telling me A Tribe Called Quest is not only a 90's rap group but a metaphor for genetics ?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 12:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no altruism, if you believe there is you need to examine the claims much deeper

Exceptional sperm cooperation in the wood mouse

Quote:
Spermatozoa from a single male will compete for fertilization of ova with spermatozoa from another male when present in the female reproductive tract at the same time1. Close genetic relatedness predisposes individuals towards altruism, and as haploid germ cells of an ejaculate will have genotypic similarity of 50%, it is predicted that spermatozoa may display cooperation and altruism to gain an advantage when inter-male sperm competition is intense2. We report here the probable altruistic behaviour of spermatozoa in an eutherian mammal. Spermatozoa of the common wood mouse, Apodemus sylvaticus, displayed a unique morphological transformation resulting in cooperation in distinctive aggregations or 'trains' of hundreds or thousands of cells, which significantly increased sperm progressive motility. Eventual dispersal of sperm trains was associated with most of the spermatozoa undergoing a premature acrosome reaction. Cells undergoing an acrosome reaction in aggregations remote from the egg are altruistic in that they help sperm transport to the egg but compromise their own fertilizing ability.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 12:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

sperm trains
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-26 12:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Spermatozoa sounds like Lollapalooza so I kept reading it in that manner.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 12:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

"Close genetic relatedness predisposes individuals towards 'altruism'" means it is not altruism, there is a biological incentive/reward. Again, look deeper and understand what altruism really means.

That's about where my actual biological understanding ends, but just as a nonscientific opinion on the biology, I think it still doesn't satisfy the condition of Altruism even if competitive males sperm displays this behavior, in the end I can just backpedal to survival of the species as biological self-interest.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 12:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it still doesn't satisfy the condition of Altruism even if competitive males sperm displays this behavior

Dictyostelium discoideum

Quote:
Around 20% of cells in D. discoideum altruistically sacrifice themselves in the formation of the mature fruiting body.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-07-26 12:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no altruism, if you believe there is you need to examine the claims much deeper

Exceptional sperm cooperation in the wood mouse

Quote:
Spermatozoa from a single male will compete for fertilization of ova with spermatozoa from another male when present in the female reproductive tract at the same time1. Close genetic relatedness predisposes individuals towards altruism, and as haploid germ cells of an ejaculate will have genotypic similarity of 50%, it is predicted that spermatozoa may display cooperation and altruism to gain an advantage when inter-male sperm competition is intense2. We report here the probable altruistic behaviour of spermatozoa in an eutherian mammal. Spermatozoa of the common wood mouse, Apodemus sylvaticus, displayed a unique morphological transformation resulting in cooperation in distinctive aggregations or 'trains' of hundreds or thousands of cells, which significantly increased sperm progressive motility. Eventual dispersal of sperm trains was associated with most of the spermatozoa undergoing a premature acrosome reaction. Cells undergoing an acrosome reaction in aggregations remote from the egg are altruistic in that they help sperm transport to the egg but compromise their own fertilizing ability.
Um, this is not altruism, this is altruistic, in that it is self-sacrificing. You could say that hair and skin cells show altruistic behavior, in that in their death, they provide additional protection for other cells of the organism.

Arguing that cellular level altruistic behavior is the same as high level cognitive behavior (altruism) isn't just misleading, it's also wrong.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 12:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Um, this is not altruism, this is altruistic, in that it is self-sacrificing. You could say that hair and skin cells show altruistic behavior, in that in their death, they provide additional protection for other cells of the organism.

Arguing that cellular level altruistic behavior is the same as high level cognitive behavior (altruism) isn't just misleading, it's also wrong.

I provided the slime mold example above. One doesn't restrict evolutionary mechanisms only to high level cognitive species.

As far as the wood mouse example I dunno what to say. I mean the wood mouse sperm is a very classic example that is used to present altruism/altruistic behavior.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 12:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The individual mouse is potentially sacrificing its chances at reproducing so its relatives can have an increased advantage over non-relatives. That's pretty much the textbook definition of biological altruism - a trait or traits that confers increased fitness to other organisms at the cost to one's own.

The conflict within evolutionary discourse is that altruism appears to violate the basic concept that natural selection occurs at the individual level. Why would selection appear to favor sperm that work together instead of sperm that outright out-competes its competitors, related or not?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-26 12:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would selection appear to favor sperm that work together instead of sperm that outright out-competes its competitors, related or not?

Can you imagine doing your graduate work on sperm?! Let alone your career!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-26 12:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sploosh?
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 1375 1376 1377