Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 172 173 174 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-19 08:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Altimaomega said: »
Its easier to just stamp your feet and whine about how nothing will ever change and do nothing about it. I'll bet ramyez despises the tea party even though they have the best chance to bring some real change.

Yep. I'm just some fat, stupid, self-hating libtard on welfare and food stamps in my mom's basement, that she in turn pays for through section 8 housing.

Because that's everyone who doesn't agree with you or support your idiotic "reform" party.

Libertarianism is the epitome of money-talks politics. And you can pretend you're enlightened or "realistic" as you want to, but I just don't think that's how things should be done, let alone how they have to be done.

How did I miss this, I'm not sure.

This has got to be single handedly the dumbest thing I've ever read. You can throw as much money at a small limited government as you want, it doesn't matter, it's too small and limited (by design) to do anything with it that might negatively affect your life.

That's the whole freaking point of a small limited government, and because it's useless to throw money at it, people stop throwing money at it. What we have now is the epitome of "money talks".
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 08:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
He also claims he didn't vote for Obama, now, and took the time to write in Mickey Mouse.
That's what all voters for Obama say.

"Oh, I support the liberal agenda, but I never voted for Obama!"

Well, it is to be expected for liberals to say that when their leader has been denying everything he can his entire political career...

Voted for 'Bam twice, am I supposed to feel bad I participated in a democratic election? McCain ceased to be himself during his election bid coupled with a lady who got owned by Katie Couric. The best highlight of McCain during the '08 election was him shutting down that old windbag who said Obama wasn't 'Murican and bringing some civility back to the election.

Then he suggested we arm the rebels in Syria (now: ISIS) and has made a bunch of hawkish calls during the Arab spring debacle. McCain is a solid statesman but if he was President right now, I wouldn't want to be on that timeline.

As for Romney? Slippery is a good way to describe him. Could have beaten a weakened Obama if the Republicans didn't hamstring themselves with delusions and an appeal to far right ideologues.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-19 09:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, the ol' myth that the republicans could win as long as the ditch their base. Silliest thing ever. As if when conservatives stay home and liberals and moderates are given the choice of liberal or moderate, the liberals don't outvote the moderates.

Lets review:

Who won running as a unabashed conservative? Oh yeah, Reagan. Clearly that was some kind of fluke. HW Bush won as the continuance of Reagan, then lost his re-election bid. Dole lost, he was a moderate. W didn't win the popular vote running as a squishy moderate. McCain lost as a moderate. Romney lost as a moderate.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 09:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
lol, the ol' myth that the republicans could win as long as the ditch their base. Silliest thing ever. As if when conservatives stay home and liberals and moderates are given the choice of liberal or moderate, the liberals don't outvote the moderates.

Lets review:

Who won running as a unabashed conservative? Oh yeah, Reagan. Clearly that was some kind of fluke. HW Bush won as the continuance of Reagan, then lost his re-election bid. Dole lost, he was a moderate. W didn't win the popular vote running as a squishy moderate. McCain lost as a moderate. Romney lost as a moderate.

Reagan is a moderate (at least) by today's standards.

speaking of myths, which are you going with today? trickle-down or bootstrap?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 09:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Was Reagan elected by using 2014 standards, or by 1980/1984 standards?
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 09:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

He was still rather moderate then too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 09:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So you say. But can you prove it?
By Ramyrez 2014-12-19 09:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

This has got to be single handedly the dumbest thing I've ever read. You can throw as much money at a small limited government as you want, it doesn't matter, it's too small and limited (by design) to do anything with it that might negatively affect your life.

That's the whole freaking point of a small limited government. What we have now is the epitome of "money talks".

Yes, I suppose the Kochs and their ludicrously large sums of money want a small government so they can allow competitors and to challenge them and so they can lose influence and power.

Don't be obtuse. If the people with all of the money want something, are you really so *** naive as to think that it's going to work out well for the have-nots?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-19 09:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
loooool

He also claims he didn't vote for Obama, now, and took the time to write in Mickey Mouse.

I've written in at least one candidate on almost every ballot I've punched. Just because you go down the line like a moron checking every name with an R next to it doesn't mean others don't have more respect for this country.

In retrospect, I regret voting for Mccain, at least in the 2008 presidential race. I voted for him for congress twice when I lived in AZ. At least in 2008, you could have made a case for voting for Obama, but in 2012, even the prospect of Romney wasn't enough to make me vote for him.

Regardless, I'm the only on who knows who I've voted for, kindly *** off.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 09:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I voted for the libertarian candidate in 2008, and Obama in 2012, as Mittens is just repulsive to me.

I figured the odds of Obama losing in 2008 were slim, so I figured I'd go with the less fascist choice.

I'm more concerned with local/state elections anyway, as it actually affects me often.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-19 10:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of his policies were fairly moderate, but he got elected with a heavy boost from his notoriety as an actor for governor and it served to mask his policies in his presidential race. Reagan wasn't moderate even by today's standards, but he was markedly left of the current TP fueled shift to the right in a lot of ways.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 10:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

A lot of his policies were fairly moderate, but he got elected with a heavy boost from his notoriety as an actor for governor and it served to mask his policies in his presidential race. Reagan wasn't moderate even by today's standards, but he was markedly left of the current TP fueled shift to the right in a lot of ways.
I know that. Jet is the one under the delusion that Reagan was a moderate back in 1980.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I don't even like the guy.

Reduced mental health treatment.

lolwaronndrugs.

Contra

budget issues

to add to the last one: robbing the SS fund.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-19 10:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I know that. Jet is the one under the delusion that Reagan was a moderate back in 1980.

He definitely appeared more moderate, there's no question about that, but he was the one who started a lot of token neocon traditions. Notable examples would be the FICTIONAL woman collecting a dozen welfare checks and injecting "religious freedom" into every conversation about civil liberties and minority rights.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 10:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Somebody needs to open a history book.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 11:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, here's your chance to prove yourself.

Give us a source that states that Reagan was a moderate when he was running for President and reelection.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 11:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Give us a source that states that Reagan was a moderate when he was running for President and reelection.

Are we going to talk about actual policies or what he ran on? As the two are not one in the same.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 11:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we going to talk about actual policies or what he ran on? As the two are not one in the same.
I'll make it easy for you. What he ran on.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 11:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, he ran on the pure nonsense of the conservative right.

But that's not actually what he did. Fortunately I said that Reagan was a moderate, not that he ran as a moderate.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-19 11:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

That's the whole freaking point of a small limited government. What we have now is the epitome of "money talks".

A sufficiently small enough government becomes a puppet for moneyed interests as is it too ineffectual to mount an effective counterbalance. It's either stocked with yesmen via corruption (money) or is bullied into compliance. (do as we say or constituents will suffer) In turn, the ability of the people to be protected from the tyranny of government simply becomes tyranny by corporations. And you can't vote those *** out.

There is definitely an argument for too big, too ineffective, too sprawling government but the opposite extreme is also fraught with peril. Just take a look at any third world country with a ho-hum government pretty much owned by the largest industries. They say jump, your officials say "how high and does your member need polishing?"
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a government conspiracy man the big corporations control everything !

Just follow the money man.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 11:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, he ran on the pure nonsense of the conservative right.

But that's not actually what he did. Fortunately I said that Reagan was a moderate, not that he ran as a moderate.
Ok then, prove that all of his policies are considered "moderate" at the time. Or even his major accomplishments.

I'll even give you a bone: Prove that his tax bill was considered "moderate" and make sure to include evidence that provisions of the bill was not conservative.
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

1980 was a crazy time I remember it like it was 1979.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 11:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You were alive in 1980?
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You were alive in 1980?

Only in spirit. I was the ghost of Reagan past.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-12-19 11:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Loaded questions with a specific focus on one area and not the totality of the administration. If his tax reform was so awesome and well received by conservatives then his VP who is considered to be even more conservative than Reagan wouldn't have won a 1988 election with the slogan "Read my lips, no new taxes".
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-19 11:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

A thread about tax policy this kinda turns me on.

Especially the 1040EZ
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-19 12:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Loaded questions with a specific focus on one area and not the totality of the administration. If his tax reform was so awesome and well received by conservatives then his VP who is considered to be even more conservative than Reagan wouldn't have won a 1988 election with the slogan "Read my lips, no new taxes".
Not a loaded question. I just used one example of a bill passed by Congress and signed by Reagan. Jet doesn't have to use that specific bill, although I'm sure that he will use something along the lines of his flawed agenda.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-19 12:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Not a loaded question. I just used one example of a bill passed by Congress and signed by Reagan. Jet doesn't have to use that specific bill, although I'm sure that he will use something along the lines of his flawed agenda.

He packaged a pretty radical corporatist tax policy as "trickle down economics" and the "rising tide" fallacy. He was good at smiling and presenting far right policies as moderate.

This is a variant of the no true Scotsman argument. Presenting a very narrow and high level of proof of one small aspect of his administration. By the same logical path you could prove that Bush was a radical liberal. I'm not saying Reagan was a moderate by 1980 or 2014 standards, but the way you're attempting to frame it is dishonest at best.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-19 12:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's you!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 172 173 174 ... 1375 1376 1377