Is "Swatting" The Newest Trend In Gaming?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Is "Swatting" the Newest Trend in Gaming?
Is "Swatting" the Newest Trend in Gaming?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-24 12:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You may regret that decision if you enjoy television at all. The FCC is opening the door for Cable and ISP provides to squeeze out stuff like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Fire (Though Amazon has the finances to fight back)

I don't know much about the politics of Net Neutrality (Sorry for minor derail, maybe this should be it's own topic?), but from what I understand in how it's moving in America, Companies like Time Warner Cable can impose cost penalties on whatever content they wish.

I want to take a moment to give my sincerest respect to the EU for upholding Net Neutrality (Pending Individual EU member adoption).

A little back on topic, I'd like to say that personally I think there's a very active movement to avoid educating people in how to protect their personal info. After all, we live in the age of Advertising, and the agencies that run the massive ad campaigns and data metrics would be loathe to surrender (Even partially) any vector of data.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 12:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I love when legit CDs remind me not to pirate or those hilarious FBI warnings on old VCR tapes.
or the "you wouldn't steal a car" ad on dvds...

nobody is going to sit here and tell me that if they had a pile of dirt and they could clone a Lambo (or some other car they want, I just want a Lambo) with the press of ctrl+c, ctrl+v on a keyboard, that they wouldn't do it, because they'd be full of ***.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 12:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
You may regret that decision if you enjoy television at all. The FCC is opening the door for Cable and ISP provides to squeeze out stuff like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Fire (Though Amazon has the finances to fight back)

I don't know much about the politics of Net Neutrality (Sorry for minor derail, maybe this should be it's own topic?), but from what I understand in how it's moving in America, Companies like Time Warner Cable can impose cost penalties on whatever content they wish.

I want to take a moment to give my sincerest respect to the EU for upholding Net Neutrality (Pending Individual EU member adoption).

A little back on topic, I'd like to say that personally I think there's a very active movement to avoid educating people in how to protect their personal info. After all, we live in the age of Advertising, and the agencies that run the massive ad campaigns and data metrics would be loathe to surrender (Even partially) any vector of data.

I don't really use any of those services, short of Netflix as somebody else pays for it, and Comcast+netflix recently signed a deal after that move.

The FCC isn't opening the door, the courts struck down the FCC rule of net neutrality, which is another reason (imo) that the courts are *** up and not in the public's best interest, but yeah...

I download stuff I want to watch, and even if I want TV again, I'll go get Dish Network, can get more channels for cheaper and with a dvr...
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-24 12:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have looked for an updated story on the FCC release, A quick google shows that the turnaround was indeed false information.
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-04-24 12:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I love when legit CDs remind me not to pirate or those hilarious FBI warnings on old VCR tapes.
or the "you wouldn't steal a car" ad on dvds...

Haha! Priceless!
Wasn't that line preceded by something like "You wouldn't rob your grandmother" or something silly like that in it's earlier incarnations?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-24 13:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Another reason you don't put your personal information online. Especially social sites.
Or at the very least be fully aware of just how fast that information can spread.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 13:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Another reason you don't put your personal information online. Especially social sites.
Or at the very least be fully aware of just how fast that information can spread.
It can go on for 9 pages!!!!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-24 13:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skulloneix said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
It can go on for over 9 pages!!!!
ftfy.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 14:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My name is Thomas Smith I live at 123 Fake Street Springfield MO.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-24 14:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

My name is Thomas Smith I live at 123 Fake Street Springfield MO.
I'm really Barrak Obama.

I'm usually at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C., 20500.

Don't send me pizza, I can't stand that.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 14:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

My name is Joe Biden when I'm not sleeping I spend my free time in Scranton PA. Come for the umm yea don't come to Scranton.

[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-24 15:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought Joe Bi was from Lower/Slower. >_>;
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-24 15:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Joe's my hommie.

We be like "all that" on Scranton, telling them for shiz to clean up their act or my hommie will be a-callin'.

Dawg~
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-04-24 15:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought swatting was when you pin someone in WCW/NWO Revenge and swat the controller out of their hand so they can't kick out.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2014-04-24 17:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I thought swatting was when you pin someone in WCW/NWO Revenge and swat the controller out of their hand so they can't kick out.
Or a racing game so they crash.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-24 17:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, this was the first thought that came to mind:
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-24 17:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

^
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-24 18:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I swear there was a "Sonic Sez" post-show lesson on the really atrocious Sonic the Hedgehog animated kids' show back in the '90s that made a point about not calling the cops frivolously. Nice to see that kids have remained mind-numbingly stupid.

That said: I've made several domestic violence calls and the police always show up quietly and get talked into walking away because the blood got wiped up before my neighbors opened the door (not exaggerating -- and the walls are thick, they were just that loud). I doubt very much that my local cops were trained in Baghdad and only turn on the lights if a busful of nuns and orphans rolls over an IED, so I'd actually like to know what would prompt them to call in SWAT and helicopters.

Hell, I had cops pound on my door one night after midnight for the best part of 10 minutes before I noticed. They claimed they were looking for a burglar (sure, guys), but there was nary a ghetto-bird nor flashing light in sight.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2014-04-27 14:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Tiny bump but I hope this case becomes the standard response to cases like this, although the kid here wasn't being malicious or seeking entertainment.

He served 3 months and was ordered to pay 500k, though the courts went too far billing him with every imaginable cost.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-27 14:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not feeling interested enough to go looking, but something sounds like it is missing from that case. The way it is reported makes it sound like an honest, albeit expensive, error.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-27 14:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Good thing there isn't a debtors prison.

I wonder when the statute of limitations ends on that, as realistically he'll never be able to pay that, especially with his prospective career destroyed.