Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares Of Square Enix

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
Sony Sells 9.5 Million Shares of Square Enix
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-18 11:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I sure hope I still have time to make my Anni. :/

I have time to make my Anni! :D

Source.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have dumped that ***when 13 came out. you can't poop on your original fanbase & expect to come out squeaky clean. the really sad part is that it all could have been maintained without a ton of effort.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-18 12:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Has more to do with Sony having financial issues than Square Enix.

Sony had 8% of Square Enix valued at 156M and netted 45M in profits from the sell.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-04-18 12:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm... will be interesting what happens. It was less than 10% ownership, but its more a bad sign for Sony who seems to be in really bad shape. I dont think XI will be shutting down servers anytime soon. Still making money for SE.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-18 12:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is a stark contrast to the days when the Playstation 2 dominated over 155 million households.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 12:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Has more to do with Sony having financial issues than Square Enix.

Sony had 8% of Square Enix valued at 156M and netted 45M in profits from the sell.

yeah sry, just read the whole article. My beloved sony...
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-18 12:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What is there to apologize for? XIII was pretty bad with its linear design.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 12:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Losing an investor is never good, should be interesting to see SE's response. As for Sony ps4 just hit 7m in sales so I'm not sure where the article thinks X1 is beating it, but that really is all Sony has.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 12:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

should've read the article first!
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-18 12:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Its ok we live in a time when people respond to headlines and not the content... same could be said about blind purchases of dying video game franchises.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 12:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

same could be said about blind purchases of dying video game franchises.

yeah I bought 13 ; ;

nostalgia's a ***.
[+]
 Fenrir.Moldtech
Server: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2014-04-18 12:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Should have offered SoA on PS4!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-18 12:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Moldtech said: »

see, this guy would do a better job running SE right now.
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-18 12:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Moldtech said: »

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but someone said you can somehow configure the PS Vita to play FFXI?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 12:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say this is showing more of an issue with Sony trying to get an influx of cash for their dying brand than anything.

I mean there's truth to SE not being very loyal to it's fanbase, and *** them over several times, but hey.

Sony's hurting, they have been for awhile, I don't buy much of their stuff anymore as their QC is ***now.

If they could restore themselves to the Quality of the 90's and stop relying on their "good" name to try to make sales, then they'd be profiting. Also by you know, trying to come down on prices.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-18 12:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not exactly sure how this is SE's problem though rather than Sony's. They're selling their shares, so changes the name of the investor but the number remains the same?
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 12:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not 100 percent sure but when you unload a bunch of shares the stock price drops usually. So as a investor that would not be a wise decision. I thought that you could unload shares back to the exchange and if so they would still be available for someone else to purchase at a lower cost? If not than they would probably say what company got them so that the company if reputable could help the stock from falling?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 12:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
Biggest problem console companies are having is that they have to compete with handheld devices (specifically phones) which are dominating the market now and probably will be forever.
yup, not sure of a way to change that really, short of invest in a device or attachments that alter popular (or universal) devices, to give added effects to said games.

I don't even know why they made the Vita, I never thought the PSP took well...
 Cerberus.Avalon
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-04-18 12:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
I am not 100 percent sure but when you unload a bunch of shares the stock price drops usually. So as a investor that would not be a wise decision. I thought that you could unload shares back to the exchange and if so they would still be available for someone else to purchase at a lower cost? If not than they would probably say what company got them so that the company if reputable could help the stock from falling?

How would that affect Square Enix on the back end with, say, an example of what happened in 2010?

Final Fantasy XIV player rage quits, sells $26 million of Square Enix stock.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-18 12:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

SE stock dropped 12% yesterday as a result of this news.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 12:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
Biggest problem console companies are having is that they have to compete with handheld devices (specifically phones) which are dominating the market now and probably will be forever.

I regret every handheld game system I ever purchased.
By Ravenn42 2014-04-18 12:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »
Ravenn42 said: »

How would that affect Square Enix on the back end with, say, an example of what happened in 2010?

Final Fantasy XIV player rage quits, sells $26 million of Square Enix stock.

It affects SE because Sony was their cash cow. Sony put money I to SE and helped fund games. That is what the article said and why losing Sony could hurt SE. They don't care Bout stock holders who are just holding shares for possible profit. Sony was involved in operations.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-04-18 12:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

SE makes games for Xbox. Sony indirectly profited from that. I'm going to take cover before all the console war fanboy heads start exploding.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 12:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
SE makes games for Xbox. Sony indirectly profited from that. I'm going to take cover before all the console war fanboy heads start exploding.
lol'd
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-18 13:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

and PC/Steam, and Nintendo and Android and Iphone's too... Hell, even Ouya.

how do you feel about this Gabe Newell?

Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-18 13:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta disagree. While 13 definitely aint near the top of there best games in the series, it was something that i wanted. We have gotten used to a massive amount of side quests, that in themselves can be longer then the storyline, and exploring the world. I had always wondered what a FF game would be like that didn't have those as a factor. 13 was just that. Low side quests and straight forward game play. Again, while it wasn't anywhere near the best game ever, it was something i wanted. So i wont criticize it for those factors.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 13:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
and PC/Steam, and Nintendo and Android and Iphone's too... Hell, even Ouya.

how do you feel about this Gabe Newell?

Now I'm going to have nightmares.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-18 13:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I gotta disagree. While 13 definitely aint near the top of there best games in the series, it was something that i wanted. We have gotten used to a massive amount of side quests, that in themselves can be longer then the storyline, and exploring the world. I had always wondered what a FF game would be like that didn't have those as a factor. 13 was just that. Low side quests and straight forward game play. Again, while it wasn't anywhere near the best game ever, it was something i wanted. So i wont criticize it for those factors.
a lot of us, myself included love the side quests.

Honestly if you think about it, a lot of the games have very little overall story and you can plow through them in no time. But granted, some of the games are a better mix, and vary greatly from WRPG's in where it's mostly side quests.

I can see your point.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6