School Bans On Chocolate Milk May Backfire

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 21:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I only drink rain water.
You joke, but there are actually people who do just that. Assuming you don't live in a desert area, a rain barrel or two can be a nice little eco-friendly addition to one's property. It hasn't happened in a couple years, but every so often we have a drought in this area and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have some stored and safe water available so as to not stretch limited city supplies.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea they did that in 28 days later. They collected rain water on the roof tops.
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-04-17 21:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Asura.Ivykyori said: »
I hate drinking water. I drink a couple of cups a day, but I usually spritz it with a water enhancer, because our regular water over here tastes HORRIBLE. And those filters are kinda expensive, although I would've loved one for a Christmas present.
Expensive? I bought a Brita pitcher so many years ago that I don't even remember what it cost and I replace my filter every 3-5 months (they recommend every 3, but I drink other things besides water) for a cost of about $6. I'd hardly call ~$20/year expensive.

Actually, the whole reason I got the filtered pitcher was for cooking. Baking can go very wrong if water tastes bad or, worse yet, still has the kinds of chemicals present that will kill off my poor yeast.

I meant the pitcher itself. Which depending on what one you get isn't too bad in the price department, I stand corrected.
Still don't mean ***if it isn't ice cold, lol. I just grabbed a glass and emptied out two ice trays.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 21:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as they're not touching strawberry milk I'm sure the kids can care less. Kids love strawberry milk more than chocolate milk.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-04-17 21:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The water here tastes pretty good, and we have an ice maker, but my problem is I'm never really thirsty at home.

At work I get really thirsty, only because I talk A LOT and its always dry in the store, so water helps.

Once I get home though, I have to remind myself to drink water, just because I'm rarely thirsty. I still drink soda, but I'm trying to cut it down to once a week. I'm almost there, just need a bit more willpower (that and tea has been a helpful substitute).

As for milk, I like the taste of whole milk, and like to drink 1-2 glasses every once in a while, especially with a good PB&J.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 21:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised this thread hasn't come to this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-17 21:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
None of it compares to the taste of real milk, either raw or only pasteurized. And the cow milk stuff you can buy in supermarkets doesn't either.

Another thing I suspect only Alti and I here know.
I've long wanted to try pasteurized fresh milk, but I have a really narrow limit on how much fat can be in a fluid before the mouth-feel makes me gag (I have a similar reaction to the mouth-feel of iceberg lettuce -- I am touch-centric where most people are sight or sound). I've heard of some people being able to drink heavy cream and the very idea leaves my stomach churning.

The crap you get from the supermarket is not milk, it says milk on it but that is where the similarities end. Drinking ice cold milk right out of the bulk tank before the process plant gets ahold of it, now thats how its meant to be drank.

As for the mouth-feel, I had mainly Jersey cows (highest butterfat producer) Straight from the tank it is not thick and very drinkable. I have the same problems with the whole touch-centric thing, hate iceberg lettuce as well.

Pasteurized fresh milk is not fresh milk. The Dairy's and processing plants are required by LAW to pasteurized the milk before it can be sold. "They take stuff out and put stuff in too" Although considering where most milk come's from nowadays its probably best to pasteurized it. Your best option if you want fresh 100% milk is to find a small dairy farmer and hope he trusts you enough to "give(sell)" it to you.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-04-17 21:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, I like soda for the carbonation, not so much the sugar, and very few places here offer soda water plain, especially out of a fountain. D:
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 21:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Pasteurized fresh milk is not fresh milk. The Dairy's and processing plants are required by LAW to pasteurized the milk before it can be sold. "They take stuff out and put stuff in too" Although considering where most milk come's from nowadays its probably best to pasteurized it. Your best option if you want fresh 100% milk is to find a small dairy farmer and hope he trusts you enough to "give(sell)" it to you.

It's the same situation with prepackaged smoothies like the Naked juices.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-17 21:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'm not sure of the prices off the top of my head but due to my location, I imagine poultry would probably be the cheapest around here.

Safe bet.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want a good drink:
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 21:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The magnificent 7.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Is naked any good? I've been meaning to try it.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Yes the mango one is great. I've tried a few of the others too. But always come back to mango.

Great way to get fruit or vegetables. And I think tastes a lot better than V8 or other juices.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll probably try the berry one tomorrow first. I love fresh berries.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes the mango one is great. I've tried a few of the others too. But always come back to mango.
Always a good default.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-17 21:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite is the strawberry banana one.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll probably try the berry one tomorrow first. I love fresh berries.

If you want to make a home made version. I use plain yogurt little bit of honey cup of strawberries. tsp of vanilla. and a banana.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 21:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It can be hit and miss.

Say in the instance of Green Machine, if you get a good one it's amazingly tasty. But if you get a bad one it's kinda ugh. The same can be said about the Pina Colada Protein Zone one, some are really smooth with the texture and with some bottles it can be granular.

But to do certain regulations a majority of the good stuff they advertise being in them, really isn't in them... well not in the %'s they could be etc.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 22:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree I had one of the mango protein ones and the texture was so disgusting I could barely finish it.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-04-17 22:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That new kale one they released.. don't try it unless you like the taste of kale. You've been warned.

That was a 2 dollar lesson learned.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 07:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I strongly advise if you have a blender and a touch of freezer space making your own smoothies whenever possible. So easy, so tasty.

Handful of frozen strawberries, a banana, a splash of your choice of milk product (I use almond milk). Whip that sucker up.

Delicious.

Most decent grocery stores sell frozen strawberries or fruit blends for a good price if you buy a big enough bag of it. And there's always Costco/Sam's Club.
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-18 10:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want a good drink:
Funny enough they are LOADED with Sugar/Carbs and Calories.

Good tasting? sure. Good for you? not as much as you'd think
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-18 10:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fruit loaded with carbohydrates and their corresponding calories, more at 11
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 10:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I banned the word bossy and haven't touched chocolate milk since.
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-18 10:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-naked-juice-mighty-mango-smoothie-i114626

Vs

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coca-cola-classic-i98047

not a huge difference. Just saying, people that think just changing your diet to things that "SEEM" like they should be healthy but are more or less just side-stepping and still not having an active lifestyle isn't going to change anything
By fonewear 2014-04-18 10:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I add sugar to my water to get my fix.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-04-18 10:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-naked-juice-mighty-mango-smoothie-i114626

Vs

not a huge difference. Just saying, people that think just changing your diet to things that "SEEM" like they should be healthy but are more or less just side-stepping and still not having an active lifestyle isn't going to change anything

I'm aware, but I can't help by sigh under my breath when someone points out the presence of carbohydrates in a fruit. That is, after all, what they're made of.
 Shiva.Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-18 11:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Vs

I'm aware, but I can't help by sigh under my breath when someone points out the presence of carbohydrates in a fruit. That is, after all, what they're made of.
so? I think pretty much everyone knows that fruits and grains ect are pretty much all carbs.

The point i'm trying to make it that stuff like Soda get ragged on for it's Sugar/Calorie/Carb count and these 'Healthy' fruit drinks are just as bad, if not worse.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-18 11:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-naked-juice-mighty-mango-smoothie-i114626 Vs http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coca-cola-classic-i98047 not a huge difference. Just saying, people that think just changing your diet to things that "SEEM" like they should be healthy but are more or less just side-stepping and still not having an active lifestyle isn't going to change anything
so? I think pretty much everyone knows that fruits and grains ect are pretty much all carbs. The point i'm trying to make it that stuff like Soda get ragged on for it's Sugar/Calorie/Carb count and these 'Healthy' fruit drinks are just as bad, if not worse.

I have no idea about these branded, prepackaged drinks for sure, but even if they have an equal calorie count, chances are even if they're not the best thing for you, they're going to be better than pop or such.

Edit: your links are good for calories and nutrients but include nothing about ingredients; preservatives, type of sugars (obviously in the smoothie it's naturally-ocurring in the fruit vs. HFCS), etc.

Edit2: Additionally, I'm thinking/hoping most people are drinking their smoothies as meal replacements of some sort, whereas the pop you're going to be consuming along WITH something else.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10