Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-11-14 08:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yomisha Belmont said: »
I'm thinking Zoe, but that might be the obvious choice. xD

I was too, but then I started second guessing myself after last night. Then again, I could just be playing favorites because of characters from previous seasons.

/shrug
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-14 22:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That swamp chick hasn't displayed other powers. Madison or Zoe I think. But I'm wondering if since maybe Madison died she's powerless?

Life/power goes from one supreme to another Fiona said. It would explain how Zoe got her second power.

Fiona > Madison > Zoe

As far as Queenie going to Marie I dunno.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-11-15 00:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This season is making the same fatal flaw they made in last season. You can't have a good horror story if the audience doesn't give a crap about any of the characters. There is no good innocent hero that is virtuous and that you do not want to see die. Therefore there is never an intense moment where you are on the edge of your seat hoping something terrible doesn't happen to them.

The first season, you had the mother and you had Violet. You never wanted to see them go into the basement. Example.

This season like the last is just one random act of violence after another and shocking imagery. The hero, well she basically fu*ked two guys to death in the first hour and I'm pretty sure that breaks one of Randy's rules.

Edit: and how can a horror story be scary when everyone that gets killed just comes back to life?!?
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-11-15 03:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The second season was phenomenal. Your fatal flaw is bottlenecking a genre.

I don't really know where this season is going. It's interesting, but they really just need to give Taissa Farmiga less camera time because she can't do it justice up against Lange/Bates/Bassett/Rabe.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-11-15 08:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Aliens. Anne Frank. Santa Clause. It was really good if you ignore about half the season and focus on the Bloody Face story.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-11-15 08:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
That swamp chick hasn't displayed other powers. Madison or Zoe I think. But I'm wondering if since maybe Madison died she's powerless?

Life/power goes from one supreme to another Fiona said. It would explain how Zoe got her second power.

Fiona > Madison > Zoe

As far as Queenie going to Marie I dunno.

Paulson's character did point out Madison's heart murmur when defending her mother to explain that Madison could have never been the Supreme.

BTW, Zoe's initial power...That's got to suck! LOL!
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-11-15 13:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

They're usually pretty upfront about what's going on. What you see is usually what you get until you decide to over-think it. That said, it would make perfect sense that Zoe is the supreme (scared whiny girl suddenly combat-ready and displaying large amounts of power). I just hope I'm wrong.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-11-15 13:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
They're usually pretty upfront about what's going on. What you see is usually what you get until you decide to over-think it. That said, it would make perfect sense that Zoe is the supreme (scared whiny girl suddenly combat-ready and displaying large amounts of power). I just hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I really wanted something less predictable.

I just think about the season 1 twist where Farmiga's character had been dead since the "attempted" OD. Didn't see that one coming.
[+]
 Bahamut.Genevie
user: Geneviee
By Bahamut.Genevie 2013-11-15 13:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The second season was phenomenal. Your fatal flaw is bottlenecking a genre.

I don't really know where this season is going. It's interesting, but they really just need to give Taissa Farmiga less camera time because she can't do it justice up against Lange/Bates/Bassett/Rabe.

She's a kid lol, against the long acting careers of those others.I think she does a good job.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-11-15 14:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm aware, and I think she does a good job as well. It's just when you put her alongside all these others who are amazing, I just find myself thinking, "Please get through the part where Zoe has another terrible idea faster."
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-11-15 16:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, that episode was a mess. I agree with most of what Amand is saying (minus the comparisons between seasons). There's not much reason to care about these characters. I still find entertainment in the ridiculousness (Misty growing Myrtle in her garden, lol), but it's lacking depth.

And hey, the return of man ***.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-11-15 16:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Hmm, that episode was a mess. I agree with most of what Amand is saying (minus the comparisons between seasons). There's not much reason to care about these characters. I still find entertainment in the ridiculousness (Misty growing Myrtle in her garden, lol), but it's lacking depth.

And hey, the return of man ***.

I can agree with that. As of now, I think Basset's and Rabe's characters might be my favorite.

Then, Robert's, but since she's been a corpse for a couple of episodes...Ehhh.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-11-15 16:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine too. Maybe because they still have a bit of mystery behind them. It will be great when Marie finally gets to start interacting with the cast more rather than sending out plot devices from afar Rita Repulsa-style.

Rabe is criminally underused (Sister Mary Eunice scenes were the best last season), but her character poses a big problem. Losing the threat of death removes a lot of tension, especially in horror. I guess I'm waiting for some creative A-ha! moment that brings this all together.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to sound overly critical! I just have high expectations given the level of talent they've attracted this season and also because of how much I liked last season.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-15 17:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Paulson's character did point out Madison's heart murmur when defending her mother to explain that Madison could have never been the Supreme.

BTW, Zoe's initial power...That's got to suck! LOL!

Oh you're right I forgot

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
This season is making the same fatal flaw they made in last season.
Fatal flaw? This season's ratings are amazing, the best the show has ever seen. The only mistake imo is giving Lange so much screen time. Bassett might have small parts sitting on her throne, but her accent her everything is one of the show's highlights.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2013-11-15 17:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually liked Season 2 better than Season 1. It was more interesting to me for whatever reason. I felt like most of the actors did an excellent job. The first season just felt like a long movie that I already felt I knew the ending to. It just didn't have enough forward momentum for me or something. I'm looking forward to checking out this new season though.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-11-15 19:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard this sweet Alfred Hitchcock quote on Criminal Minds this week that sums up what I mean about the quality of the horror.

"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."

The ratings may be high for this season but that doesn't mean the quality is good. That's based on their previous goodness, critical acclaim, word of mouth and the hope it will get better.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-15 21:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh Hitchcock is overrated imo. Hitchcock would never have appreciated Nightmare on Elm Street but that's another thread.

I personally disagree that the audience doesn't care about any of the characters. Viewers love Bassett and Bates. The lack of an innocent hero is acceptable because Marie vs Fiona is enough to drive the plot.

Bates' facial gestures of absolute terror and her deep remorse about her daughters is phenomenal. Bassett though is the star of the show. Seriously, her scene with Hank and her mocking his witch hunting skills is superb.

Quote:
You’re supposed to be ridding me of my enemies… Instead they’re mouthier than ever! Showing up on my doorstep, disrespecting me, digging up my enemies… When I plant a fat-*** cracker *** I expect her to stay planted! Not come back up like a damn ragweed!
-Marie Laveau

Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-11-15 22:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The only suitable ending then is a completely feel bad, bad guy wins ending and somehow Bates' character ends up being the only winner of sorts.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-15 22:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If Sarah Paulson's character somehow comes out on top that could provide you resolution I suppose. She's really the only innocent character on the show with good intentions.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-11-15 22:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Or the mind reader girl going full blown evil supreme.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-11-20 22:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bassett really needs way more than her brief cutaways, the last thirty seconds was almost better than the rest of the episode.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-21 01:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

No just no!!!! Why did Queenie betray Bates ugh I didn't want that to happen!!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-11-21 02:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmmm, Frankenstein three-way.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-11-21 02:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Frakenstein and the killer vag!
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-12-05 15:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Or the mind reader girl going full blown evil supreme.
I honestly wouldn't be shocked she got pissed off when everyone passed her as the next supreme.

Loved Kathy Bates in last night's episode minus Bassett decapitating her...
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-12-05 15:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It gave me a chuckle last night when Rabe was referred to as "swamp witch" last night. Bacon coined that!
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-12-05 16:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it's not like the phrase has been around for ages. Oh.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-12-05 16:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it's not like the phrase has been around for ages. Oh.

What? Is that some backwater colloquialism or something?
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-12-08 13:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

"Swamp witch" is a pretty common character for witch stories, or it at least used to be.

Unrelated:
[+]