Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXI from China
FFXI from China
 Ragnarok.Amonk
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Amonk
By Ragnarok.Amonk 2013-05-14 00:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently moved to China (and will be here for a few years), and have been considering coming back to the game. I remember hearing a while ago that all IPs from China would lead to a ban in the game, since RMT activity is so heavily concentrated here. Any idea on whether I can safely log into my account here?
 Leviathan.Bozo
Server: Leviathan
user: Bozoffxi
By Leviathan.Bozo 2013-05-14 00:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-05-14 00:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I log in from China all the time, no worries. You should look into getting a VPN for general use (facebook, youtube, ffxiah.com!), but you don't need one for FFXI. I think it's actually against the ToS to log in through a VPN, but you probably wouldn't want to anyway because it can slow down your connection.

Anyway, FFXI in China is neither blocked nor bannable. Have fun. :]

Edit: missed the part where you said you're already here. Guessing you already have some way around the censorship, so ignore the bit about VPNs.^^;
[+]
 Ragnarok.Amonk
Server: Ragnarok
user: Amonk
By Ragnarok.Amonk 2013-05-14 01:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thank you!

Yeah, I couldn't live without my VPN. Been in Shandong for the past 8 months and whenever I feel homesick I want to go back to Sarutabaruta!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [562 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Jimie
Server: Phoenix
user: Jimie
By Phoenix.Jimie 2014-11-26 19:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, sorry for the necro.

I'm attempting to come back to FFXI but I'm currently living in China.

I just downloaded FFXI from their website and I'm currently trying to login to POL but keep getting POL-1160.

I've tried opening UDP port 53 on my router as Squenix's site suggests due to DNS, though I'm not sure how I should specify the rule.

I have the option of DNS, FTP, GOPHER, HTTP etc but I'm not sure what to use, I assume DNS but if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Also, is there anything else I might need to do to get connected?

Here is a screenshot of my router.