Ragnarok, Still Worth Making?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Ragnarok, still worth making?
Ragnarok, still worth making?
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Priestt
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Priestt 2013-04-04 19:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo, never posted on here before but I was just wondering if it's still worth making this weapon after the update that came out a few days ago. Thank you all in advance for your response.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-04 19:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I lately got a Rag, and got it to 85 today.

It is a beast :)
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-04 19:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok is always worth making. Ragnarok 99 is beastly with it's Acc+40, Increases Critical hits V, and OD2.5x Damage.

Until i'm proven wrong, there isn't a better gsword out there.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-04-04 19:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you mean "worth?"
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-04 19:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

He probably means the cumulated "Time + Effort + cost = Worth" formula.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-04-04 19:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there anything that comes close to a 99 Rag for War/Drk?
 Cerberus.Priestt
By Cerberus.Priestt 2013-04-04 19:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean does it still deal out the same damage as it use to before the update? I don't quite understand exactly what they did with the attack and defense fix, but I notice a few posts talking about Ragnarok owners not hitting as much as they use to. Yes time and effort as well, thank you.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-04 20:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you think about it, even if Rag users are taking off slighty less, that will also be the same for everyone else who is a two hander. So the worth is the same.

Also I don't parse, but I have not noticed a difference in damage. If there was a change it was too small to notice imo.
[+]
 Cerberus.Priestt
By Cerberus.Priestt 2013-04-04 21:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I have a 90 Ukon and I wonder if i should even bother getting a Ragnarok. Opinions please
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-04 21:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

All the attack/defense fix was:

Raise cap for 1handers to be the same as 2handers
Doubled the cap for mobs

2handers stayed the same.
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-04 21:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Priestt said: »
Because I have a 90 Ukon and I wonder if i should even bother getting a Ragnarok. Opinions please
I actually had that same question, but in reverse. It was never really answered for me.
By emerle 2013-04-04 21:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said: »
All the attack/defense fix was: Raise cap for 1handers to be the same as 2handers Doubled the cap for mobs 2handers stayed the same.

What the OP is referring to is that SE said they were nerfing Ragnarok and Resolution. I am not sure if it was implemented in this last patch or not however.

I suggest taking your Ukon to 99 instead. HMPs are pretty cheap right now aswell as the rifts to take it to 95>99. Ukon 99 is pretty much the best DD right now except for a Conquerer 99 War but that is only in 90second or less fights.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-04 21:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I'd avoid making any prestige weapon until SE announces what their plan is for the 99 versions.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-04 21:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

emerle said: »
What the OP is referring to is that SE said they were nerfing Ragnarok and Resolution. I am not sure if it was implemented in this last patch or not however.
Source?

I do not recall SE having ever said this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-04 21:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

They never said that lol
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-04 22:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually had that same question, but in reverse. It was never really answered for me.

Ukon 90 is still a great weapon and beats even 99 Ragnarok in a lot of situations.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis 2013-04-04 22:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

All the attack/defense fix was: Raise cap for 1handers to be the same as 2handers Doubled the cap for mobs 2handers stayed the same.

I suggest taking your Ukon to 99 instead. HMPs are pretty cheap right now aswell as the rifts to take it to 95>99. Ukon 99 is pretty much the best DD right now except for a Conquerer 99 War but that is only in 90second or less fights.

Se are not nerfing Rag or Resolution you're getting mixed up with the last resort changes.

Ukon 99 is a very good weapon, Ragnorak 99 is a very good weapon and both are top tier dd weapons. I'd really only use Rag on WAR for mighty strikes and mainly get one if you play DRK.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-04-04 22:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen anything about nerfing Rag or Reso. I'd be the first person on the emo bandwagon if they did! I just got 99 Rag a week ago finally.

Adjust 2-hand weapons all together, I have no issues with. But singling out 1 weapon when there are other very powerful weapons would cause me to go to Amazon right now and place an order for a 5-gal jug of butthurt cream. I'd expect it from the previous generation of FFXI dev's who had a hard-on for SAM but not so much this generation.
By albrobiont 2013-04-04 22:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The question mostly is, do you want to wait and figure out how to get the new shinies in SoA or do you want to make Ragnarok? Personally I would wait and see which one you would rather invest time and effort into.
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-04-04 22:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Ukon 90 is still a great weapon and beats even 99 Ragnarok in a lot of situations.
Any situation I wouldn't just come drk for?
 Cerberus.Priestt
By Cerberus.Priestt 2013-04-04 22:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I do plan on leveling DRK so it would be nice to have the Ragnarok. But again I don't want to risk making one if it doesn't end up being worth the time.
By emerle 2013-04-04 22:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I am positive in late middle part of Novemeber of 2012 that Matsui made a post about them nerfing Resolution/Ragnarok. It was in the same Dev post when they first announced Embrava nerf.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis
By Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis 2013-04-04 22:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's DRK best dd weapon right now, no one here can tell you if it's going to loose out to any new weapon that is incoming so you might aswell just wait a few months and see save up your money and keep it until then.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis
By Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis 2013-04-04 22:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I am positive in late middle part of Novemeber of 2012 that Matsui made a post about them nerfing Resolution/Ragnarok. It was in the same Dev post when they first announced Embrava nerf.

No this never happened.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-04 22:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Any situation I wouldn't just come drk for?

So you're asking if its worth making a 90 Ukon if you already have Ragnarok...

The times when Ukon outshines Ragnarok are when you're not insanely overbuffed. That's a comparison for Rag vs Ukon WAR. If you're coming a different job or have the option/need, it changes that, obviously.
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-04 22:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The first time embrava nerf was mentioned. No nerf to Reso or rag there..

First time it was mentioned in deatail, nothing.
 Phoenix.Kenrusai
Server: Phoenix
user: Starkzz
By Phoenix.Kenrusai 2013-04-04 22:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably saying Resolution is weaker because they're fighting new SoA mobs that're T-IT and can notice it's huge attack penalty when not correctly buffed?
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2013-04-04 22:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

By the time this thread is over debating the pros and cons of do I or don't I and maybe you should and maybe you shouldn't b/c of Seekers of Advocating a reason to play releases something "better" you probably could've finished the Ukon to 99 AND made the Rag to 99 depending on your resources.

Did anyone see any super over the top omg great axe/greatsword that is easily obtainable right now that you will have tomorrow b/c your server has unlocked all of adoulin content in less than A WEEK and you can go kill the nazwhatever bosses that drop all this stuff at your leisure with no difficulty/competition and get all the drops? no? Will having that Shiny Rag or Ukon help even make said fight easier to win? probably?

If you got nothing else to do but break pickaxes/sickles/hatchets or chop roots, might as well make something you know is a sure thing vs that forever waiting on the ghost of SE to deliver concrete goods instead of vague speculations.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2013-04-04 22:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

False. Only place/situation ukon, especially 90 beats rag is in abyssea with stacked crit rate/dmg atmas.

I've never seen a ukon match ragnarok

for the record my ukon is 85, i got it after i already had ragnarok, with exception to abyssea the ukon couldnt come near ragnarok damage and the extra 5 levels wasnt going to close the gap anywhere near enough to make it worth continuing except as a glorified town weapon. Tho it does make your war look solid when you bring out ukon for the gaxe proc in vw and then back to ragnarok to do the real dmg lol

I'd love to see someone with 99 ukon AND ragnarok weigh in, but in things like legion, 99 rag brings more acc than ukon even with the higher skill, also in legion theres mobs that resist critical damage, reminds me alot of when they nerfed souleater vs toau mobs... no way to know if that trend will continue just yet

edit:
also se never said they were doing a damn thing to resolution or ragnarok, that came from rumors the player base started from players who were wagon sams back in the day but now are outclassed
[+]
First Page 2 3