First Page 2 3 ... 57 58 59 ... 61 62 63
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-22 16:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
cardio/abs is a waste of a day in the gym. Cardio can be thrown on at the end of every workout; or at home. You don't need a gym to do cardio.

As far as abs go, throw them in once in a while, but waste of a day to go in and do "ab day" Add front squats to your leg day if you aren't already. Those are better for your core than crunches ever will be.
So just add another lift day and run a few miles everytime? I wouldn't care so much about cardio but I still need to drop some stomach fat and I thought I read cardio was the way to go.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-22 17:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cardio at the end of each lifting day (Or on non lifting days just a bit around the neighborhood) would be more useful to you than just one cardio day at the gym.

Not saying not to do cardio. I do cardio 3 days a week (outside of my biking).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-22 17:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What tiger is saying is, there is no real need to devote one day a week towards doing abs & cardio (it actually won't do you any good anyways, as little as once a week).

Personally, I start every workout with 15-20 minutes of cardio, depending on what im working out. A nice uphill walk for 20 minutes with the incline on 15 and speed around 3-3.5. Cardio can be done every day, but its not something you need to spend one full day on. Rather, it should be done as often as you can, either beginning or end of workout, or simply go outside and walk/jog for a few miles.

Abs, I'm kind of torn on this one. I never was one who liked doing abs, and I see VERY LITTLE results, regardless of how hard I train them and eat. I have drank soda for weeks and ate like a pig and came back and still had a sick pack. And I've fasted and sweated myself out for weeks and it looks blubbery. I can't win with that body part.

As tiger says, focus on core as opposed to the abs. Personally, I try to do abs every time I workout, but thats just my thing. Again, its not something you need to dedicate one full day to. You could just as easily choose to do 20minutes of abs and core along with cardio at the end of every workout day. Its that simple.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-22 17:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Another noon one. I know core is your body core and I know squats is a big one but past that I'm lost. I honestly just started doing weights like mid February/March one to two times a week. Just now I'm getting more into it and wanna do it right.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-22 17:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Probably very little. We're assuming he's not working out every day, and since the suggestion was not to do too many sets of Biceps, but to simply superset curls during rest periods on the bench, it will hardly make the issue. When you workout your back, your biceps are indirectly involved, But the opposite is not necessarily true (working out your biceps does not work out your back). Sure, when you go to do rows it will burn a little bit, but hardly enough to hinder his workout to an severe degree.

But isn't your forearm/grip going to be weakened, edit: therefor making you rely on straps? Or is it not that big of an impact?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-22 17:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah bacon, I dont use straps. Not sure if you copied something about straps cuz i didnt see it in there, but I always didn't like straps cuz they kind of take away the important aspect of lifts.

In short, yes you're right. Doing Biceps a day or two before doing back will weaken you a bit. I should have clarified this earlier, and it was my bad for making it sound like it would not.

I meant that supersetting biceps won't ultimately be enough to drain then before back day. Its kind of like doing rope pulldowns the day before chest - yes it will weaken your push strength, but probably not so significant that you would feel drained when you went to press or bench. I was assuming he wouldn't be going that heavy. whenever i super set, I don't go heavy in between, but try to rep 10-12 of whatever im doing. So if you're supersetting lightly in between sets, I don't think it would matter much. If you're supersetting deadlifts with say squats....yeah, kill yaself... lol
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-22 17:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah bacon, I dont use straps. Not sure if you copied something about straps cuz i didnt see it in there, but I always didn't like straps cuz they kind of take away the important aspect of lifts.

In short, yes you're right. Doing Biceps a day or two before doing back will weaken you a bit. I should have clarified this earlier, and it was my bad for making it sound like it would not.

I meant that supersetting biceps won't ultimately be enough to drain then before back day. Its kind of like doing rope pulldowns the day before chest - yes it will weaken your push strength, but probably not so significant that you would feel drained when you went to press or bench. I was assuming he wouldn't be going that heavy. whenever i super set, I don't go heavy in between, but try to rep 10-12 of whatever im doing. So if you're supersetting lightly in between sets, I don't think it would matter much. If you're supersetting deadlifts with say squats....yeah, kill yaself... lol

Ahh ok no I was just asking was thinking of adding biceps super-sets back to my chest routine. Im currently doing Chest>Leg>Back at the beginning of the week. So wasn't sure how much impact it would impact my deadlifts on wednesday.

How many biceps supersets to not impact wednesday(back day)?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-22 18:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't really say. Like I said, I usually just go light, and do 10 reps in between the first 2 chest workouts I do. So I do 3-4 sets of chest, so I'd be doing anywhere between 60-80 curls in between my rest, only curling 35s or the EZ curl bar.

You may be different, but I have always had natural bicep strength. I could completely rip them apart on Monday and go right to doing back the next day. I would say Just focus on a weight you can comfortably do 10 times without feeling like your arm is going to fall off. Its just the pump of doing it as opposed to sitting and resting, thats what makes me love super sets.

But it may or may not be your style. Try it out and let me know if you think it works for you.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-22 19:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Jacaut said: »
o times a week. Just now I'm getting more into it and wanna do it righ
Always a good introductory video
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-22 20:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Would it be okay to do dead lifts with an EZ curl bar? Just grip outside/inside of the humps?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-22 21:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If that is comfortable for you Weakness, then yes. Don't think the bar matters as much as the movement and form, although EZ bars probably don't hold much weight.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-22 21:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

More about no gym, limited space, and working with what I got.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-22 21:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont try this at home, or your gym.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-04-22 21:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is a answer to the strap question. Only use straps were your grip wold give out before the muscle you are working. Like bent over rows, shrugs and so forth.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-22 21:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Dat quote at the start
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-22 21:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, just didn't read enough apparently. Supposedly easier to keep good form with dumbbells on dead lifts than an EZ curl, so I'll just do dumbbells.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-22 22:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You may be different, but I have always had natural bicep strength. I could completely rip them apart on Monday and go right to doing back the next day. I would say Just focus on a weight you can comfortably do 10 times without feeling like your arm is going to fall off. Its just the pump of doing it as opposed to sitting and resting, thats what makes me love super sets.

But it may or may not be your style. Try it out and let me know if you think it works for you.

This is how my biceps are. I feel they heal very quickly which is why I was thinking of hitting them 3x a week. So definitely going to give it a try this following week. Thanks

Chest/Biceps Monday
Legs Tuesday
Back Wed
Thur off
Fri Biceps/Triceps
Sat Legs/Shoulders
Sun off
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-04-22 22:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
If you have some sources, I'd be interested in seeing them purely on curiosity to the question that was posed and the methods that they decided to go about testing it. Many papers have the propensity to jump to conclusions quickly and based on the complexity of this system, I do not expect a simple answer as being tested to be true/false. But hey, if there are studies that are conducted well, I can totally be swayed and maybe I could learn something about their design.
You would probably really enjoy reading Lyle McDonald's work. Alan Aragon too.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-04-22 22:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Any tips on how hard I should be deadlifting? I've just been doing like 3 sets with 5reps and then the next week try to add 5lbs to each side and try to hit my 5x3 again. Not sure what a good method of reps/sets. Some people said I should do lighter, practice lifts and then do only one real set at the end. I've only been DLing for 6 months, but since I started with 140, I'm up to lifting 240 which I think is pretty decent for my height/weight 5'6 155lbs 14%BF.
Strength training programs typically have lower weekly deadlift volume because it's really not necessary to go beyond one high intensity set of five to progress. But this assumes you're also squatting heavy at least twice a week to build some of the leg strength required to break the bar off of the ground.

Due to the high CNS demand, deadlifting more isn't always the answer to getting better at deadlift. Glenn Pendlay's lifters literally only deadlift a few times a year since they are so focused on oly, but their numbers still go up due to plenty cleans, snatches and squats.

In general, I wouldn't suggest trusting highly polarized opinions, especially from random dudes on the internet. But if it's deadlift strength that you're after, you can choose to not trust us or your friends and simply follow one of the many strength training programs that have been crafted for our enjoyment.

Do the Body-weight DL challenge.

Take your body weight of 155, and try to get as many reps as you can with perfect form. Make sure your hands are NOT Hand Over/Under grip. Do two overhand grips (your palms should be facing the ground). It works your forearms a bit more and helps improve your grip strength.

Or if you're not comfortable deadlifting to failure, set numbers. 185lbs 10 reps. Then 12. Then 15. Then climb back down. When deadlifting, DO NOT LEAN BACK. Biggest Deadlifting mistake. Stand erect and lift the bar vertically off of the ground, almost sliding along your shins.

Challenge yourself. And don't use straps or gloves (unless callouses force you to). Push through the reps and then set the bar higher.

Edit: and PLEASE use a belt. safety first my friend.
Most of this post is absurd. I'm not sure where you get this stuff.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-22 22:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Elaborate. I don't know what you're talking about specifically. You may have a different way of training, or you may just be an internet lifter. Either way, you didn't identify anything specific, so I'll wait for you to clarify what was absurd.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-22 23:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Strength training programs typically have lower weekly deadlift volume because it's really not necessary to go beyond one high intensity set of five to progress. But this assumes you're also squatting heavy at least twice a week to build some of the leg strength required to break the bar off of the ground.

This is something I've wondered. Deadlifts are so exhausting, especially 5x5, I feel if/when I do them the rest of my workout gets hindered. However, i like how they are a great compound back exercise.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-04-23 00:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want back thickness Bacon try bent over rows.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-23 05:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »

These helped my bench press a lot too.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-23 09:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually integrate bent over rows into my workout. Was just wondering if I should drop deadlifts frequency? Right now I do them like every other week.
By wick 2014-04-23 10:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Deadlifts arent for back, they are a compund movement for legs hopefully more glute activation. Since a deadlift is really a deep squat.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-23 10:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Seraph.Jacaut said: »
o times a week. Just now I'm getting more into it and wanna do it righ
Always a good introductory video

spot on thanks a lot~
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-23 10:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

wick said: »
Deadlifts arent for back, they are a compund movement for legs hopefully more glute activation. Since a deadlift is really a deep squat.

Traditional deadlifts hit the upper/lower back and erector. I'm not talking SLDL or RDL. I know some guys do DL on leg day based on preference.
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-04-23 10:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

I usually integrate bent over rows into my workout. Was just wondering if I should drop deadlifts frequency? Right now I do them like every other week.
If you just want to increase your 1RM, why not do one heavy set of five per week (not 5x5) as seen commonly in programs? Getting up to a 2x bodyweight deadlift within a few months is pretty achievable for anyone who follows those programs strictly. It gets pretty voodoo after that though (speed pulls, rack pulls, deficits, stance variations, assistance exercises-- everyone seems to have their own magic).
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-23 20:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheat day, I suppose.

Tried to be as clean about it as I could. All you can eat sushi/hibachi for $10 (made to order, not a buffet)

I usually get a lot of crab rangoon and a lot of sushi rolls; instead, I did

1 egg drop soup
1 Sushi roll (6 pieces)
4 pieces of sushi (Just fish/rice, not a roll)

lol then I did somewhere between 15-18 orders of shrimp hibachi (6 pieces of shrimp each order)

finished it off w/ a very small cup of icecream (4-5 spoonfuls tops)

Edit: Will drop calories by 300 for the next 2 days to be safe
By Jogi 2014-04-23 21:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious, how many different work outs do you try to do per muscle group? Sets/reps also
First Page 2 3 ... 57 58 59 ... 61 62 63