Food: What Are You Making?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Food: What are you making?
Food: What are you making?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-14 17:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I haven't had lamb for years because last time I did as a kid it was like $10 a lbs or something but that was safeway so don't know if could've gotten better prices else where

Really all meat can be tough more to do with preperation and to an extent how you kill it.

But yeah I ♥ beef.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2011-02-14 17:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't like lamb at all.

*shrug*

I had it a while back when I was younger and I didn't like it then, but I went to a Brazilian steak house over the weekend and they served some there, so I tried some again just to make sure I disliked it.

Quetzalcoatl.Earlvilleoutlaw
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Earlvilleoutlaw 2011-02-14 18:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Artemicion said:
Btw, I need suggestions/advice as to what goes with Chicken Parmesan. Is it usually served with pasta or something of the like? I never made it before sadly. But I am definitely gonna dig the prosciutto wrapped garlic breadsticks :3
It's usually served over spaghetti, and topped with pasta sauce.

Personally I find it goes better on it's own and made with these:

Take 3-4 big potatoes, roughly chop them put them in a pan, take 3-4 big cloves of garlic (lately all we've had is this tiny ***, so I have to use 5-6) put in the same pot, fill with water like you would when making mashed taters, boil.. but keep boiling them til the water is almost gone, drain the rest, add butter/milk/salt/pepper to taste, toss in like a 1/4 tsp of basil and oregano, toss in 1/2 to 1 tsp parsley, mash and mix well, add garlic powder/onion powder/salt/pepper/herbs to taste (as tastes for theses can vary greatly, what I've told you to add so far won't be overwhelming and you can customize it from here to better fit your personal tastes).

A broccoli and cheese spiral pasta served along these two makes a really good dinner.

Now instead of roughly chopping the garlic use one of those mini planers it will give more garlic flavor. But other then that thats basically the way I make potatoes almost all the time my wife loves them.

And as for dinner tonight was grilled chicken and alfredo pasta with broccoli and snow peas mixed in. And Blueberry wine XD.
 Ifrit.Sidi
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Sidi 2011-02-14 18:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm baking meatloaf stuffed peppers right now.
The seasoning is different every time depending on my mood but I always sneak in some extra chopped bell peppers to trick the bf. It's hard to get a meat and potatoes guy to eat his veggies!

We also make slow cooker chicken enchiladas/ chicken soup once a week when its chilly out. Its a great lazy way for 2-3 days worth of food:
chicken, tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic- add some stock and spice and slow cook all day. I use a small portion of the chicken stuffed in tortillas with a homemade sauce on top for enchiladas. The next day I add corn+ extra stock and turn the rest into soup.

I can't wait until I have an actual kitchen to really get some cooking done.
 Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone 2011-02-14 19:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just made some baked sea scallops, pan seared jumbo scallops, white rice and some Trader Joe's bag of veggies for my fiancee and I. Mac and cheese out of a box and broccoli for the kid.
 Asura.Astroglide
Server: Asura
By Asura.Astroglide 2011-02-16 09:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont know why but i've never like scallops
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-02-16 09:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I got some chicken thighs to cook tonight, but I'm not sure what I want to do with them. Was thinking maybe grill them and mix up some beer/tequila BBQ sauce to brush them with.

I love sea food, but I hate the texture/consistency of scallops.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-02-16 10:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fish is so good! I love it. But I hate shrimp, which is odd since everyone else seems to love shrimp. I've tried it cold, deep-fried, cooked at restaurants, and grilled with beef, chicken, and veggies on shishkabobs. (Sorry, I don't know how to spell that one and spell-check suggested shipboards as a suitable replacement. ;;) The only way I can stand them at all is grilled with lots of other things to go with them. It's not the taste, they taste alright. It's that they squirm around in my mouth and feel alive, like I am chewing on a plump, juicy, squirming worm. Ew.
 Unicorn.Ixn
Server: Unicorn
user: unknown
By Unicorn.Ixn 2011-02-16 14:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-02-16 14:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I got some chicken thighs to cook tonight, but I'm not sure what I want to do with them. Was thinking maybe grill them and mix up some beer/tequila BBQ sauce to brush them with.

i can't stand scallops either

and you're right, it's not the taste, it's the texture

i do, however, love shrimp
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-02-16 14:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely love pretty much all seafood.. Lobster being the 'omg I'm in heaven kill me'..

Scallops and crab, I just don't like.. (and when I say crab, I mean blue crab, the ***you'll find all over the gulf coast) it's their texture I just don't like... I can't explain what about about it exactly I dislike.. The best I can do is crab feels like I'm chewing through thousands of tiny rubber bands, and scallops are like biting into a hot pillow that is also not sweet and filled with juice.. It's just like a contradictory experience (when I bite into a pillow, I expect it to be marshmallows).

Lobster, fish, crawfish, shrimp I absolutely love. Crawfish, shrimp and lobster more than fish, I couldn't live off fish, I could live off the others. But it also depends on the fish.. Tuna and catfish I can only tolerate small amounts.. However, get me some croaker, or red snapper, and I could easily live a month off it without tiring of it.
 Titan.Wombat
Server: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-02-16 14:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

i can't stand scallops either

and you're right, it's not the taste, it's the texture

i do, however, love shrimp
I like both of them, but I'm ultra-picky about how they are prepared. I've basically stopped eating scallops because it's so rare to have them cooked well.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-02-16 15:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Crab meat is the best.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1546 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-12 22:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

so today orangutan popped in my head, which lead to thinking about Tang (drink) and back to orangutan then to meringue which then became.... meringue-a-tang... meringue-a-tang pie...

at this point there was no way I could resist searching if such a thing existed, and if it didn't, I would make it exist...

and here it is... the meringue-a-tang pie

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1-3/4 cups water
3 egg yolks, beaten (save whites for meringue)
1/4 cup orange flavor tang powder
1/4 cup butter (Sweet Cream Salted)
1 baked 9" pie shell, cooled

Directions:
1 Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water. Mix thoroughly in a saucepan. Gradually stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute. Stir a SMALL amount of hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks to temper, mixing well. Return to remaining hot mixture. Continue boiling for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly (figure 8's work best). Remove from heat.

2 Blend in instant orange tang and the butter. Pour into pie shell. Top with meringue, spreading to crust to seal. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 5-10 minutes until browned. Cool.

3 Meringue: Beat the 3 egg whites with 1/8 teaspoon salt until foamy throughout. (I like to add a pinch of cream of tartar)
Add 6 Tablespoons sugar, 2 Tablespoons at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat until meringue forms stiff shiny peaks.

I can't wait to try this!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-13 01:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Since my daughter was born my house has been ruled by her ability....to stay constant, to put it in polite terms.

In the last few months I've been tinkering with a few prune cake recipes and today I'll be making her favorite. It started based off of this recipe (step-by-step with pictures), but I've modified it. I make it into cupcakes because it's easier to store.

It's a very tasty cake, spicy like banana bread but sweeter and very moist. One day I'll add crystalized ginger but my daughter is not quite ready for that. :) I don't adf the icing and it is still very tasty.

Ingrediants cake:
2 cups of prunes, softened
1/3-1/2 cup of refined sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup whole oats
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1 cup whole milk
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean

Ingrediants icing (optional):
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
Juice 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon White Corn Syrup
1/4 cup Butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350 degrees for cupcakes
Preheat oven to 300 degrees for cake

1. Cover prunes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft and mashable, about eight minutes. Remove from heat, drain water, and mash on a plate. Set aside.

If the prunes you have are very soft and you have an excellent food processor, you can skip this step and just place them in food processor.

2. Add butter, sugar, eggs, milk, lemon, vanilla, and prunes into the food processor bowl. Mix well.

3. In a seperating bowl combine dry ingrediants together.

4. Slowly add the dry ingrediants into the wet.

5. For cupcakes: fill with batter halfway in your oiled/buttered cupcake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
For cake: pour batter into an oiled/buttered baking dish (9x13~). Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Icing:
While cake has five minutes remaining, make the icing:
Combine all icing ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Boil without stirring for 5 to 7 minutes, or until icing starts to turn dark. Do NOT allow icing to reach soft ball stage; icing should be caramel in color, but not sticky like caramel. Icing should be easily pourable.

Remove cake from oven and pour on icing immediately.

Allow to rest on the counter. Serve warm.

***For adults there is no "prune effect" associated with this cake***
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-13 01:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

oh god we have a food thread on here O.O

I made gazpacho yesterday....still marinating in the fridge, i made 10 liters at once!
-5 kg of tomatoes
-5 cucumber
-4kg of red pepperonis
-2kg of sjalots
-5 cloves of garlic
-cayenne pepper
-piment d'espelette
-sea salt
-half a liter of red or white wine vinegar
-half a liter of extra vierge olive oil
-2 liter of freshly squeezed tomato juice
-fresh herbs, mint and basil, wild celery
its pretty simple, peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds, throw in a clean bucket. clean the cucumber and dice, throw in the bucket. adds some salt. clean the herbs, dont cut, just throw in the bucket. deseed the peppers and dice, throw in the bucket. add the garlic, cayenne, piment d'espelette, olive oil and vinegar and poor the tomato juice on top. Put those hands in there and give it a good squeezing! Close the bucket and put in the fridge and let marinate for 2 days. Pull the herbs out and throw in a blender, bzzzzzz....taste, add salt or pepper extra in case needed. Enjoy your slender figure!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-05-13 09:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

10 liters of gazpacho?

How many people are you feeding?

Also, "piment d'espelette" please translate.
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-05-13 09:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I made Kimchi Fries on Mother's Day.

Being half Korean, I've always had kimchi regularly with rice and such, but this new 'Kimchi Fries' trend was something I had been curious about.

Needless to say, it was a huge success!

[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-13 10:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
10 liters of gazpacho?

How many people are you feeding?

Also, "piment d'espelette" please translate.

Well i run a restaurant so yeah 10 liter isnt that much even.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-13 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
piment d'espelette

Espelette pepper
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2015-05-13 13:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »

Being half Korean, I've always had kimchi regularly with rice and such, but this new 'Kimchi Fries' trend was something I had been curious about.

Any chance you'd be willing to post the recipe?
Because that looks stunning.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-13 13:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm mostly curious where the kimchi comes in, cause traditionally its fermented cabbage...did you ferment your fries >.>? or you just added kimchi to a dish with fries?
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-05-13 13:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Leosin said: »

I can post the recipe later since I'm at work right now. And yes it does look good I have to admit!

Leviathan.Vienne said: »

I'm mostly curious where the kimchi comes in, cause traditionally its fermented cabbage...did you ferment your fries >.>? or you just added kimchi to a dish with fries?

I'm not sure who invented Kimchi Fries or where/when the trend started, but the kimchi is served ontop of restaurant-style french fries. Nothing differently is done to the fries in terms of how they're cooked.

The entire thing sounds weird I know (it certainly did to me too at first), but once you try it then it... makes sense.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-18 23:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Curry beets

Topped with Pol Sambola (Coconut Sambol)

also can't forget the hot sauce!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-18 23:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I made Subway, tonight.

Ingredients:

About 7 bucks
Greasy kid with polo, visor and plastic gloves
Sneeze guard
A pinch of derision
Finally with real chicken!
Veggies?
Squeeze bottle of questionable mayonnaise

Walk up to counter. Ask for a footlong bread. Get directed to choose type of bread. Respond with "surprise me". Get treated to an eyeroll and an exasperated huff. Get asked what type of sub you want. Forgot you had no idea. Stare at board for like a minute. More huffing. Choose wrong option. Get stuck with it anyway. Pepperjack dat sonbitch. Do you want it thrown into an oven? Why not? Smatter with everything vegetable-like except black olives (dey's nasty). Splort with sauce. Grumble about remembering the good old days with the 5 dollar footlongs. Do you want chips and a drink? What am I, a communist? Drive home. Get sauce on shirt.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-21 01:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Posted this in RT, but it will probably be more useful here ;)

Valefor.Endoq said: »
found a few really good uses for juicer pulp!

one is using it to make this vegetable broth recipe:

the other is this Zucchini Muffins recipe:
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-27 15:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Today I made this simple carrot salad, it's delicious and very easy to make..
I don't measure ingredients, but here are my rough estimates... feel free to play with the ratios!

Carrot salad
ingredients:

7-8 large Carrots (grated)
1/4 cup dried Cranberries
couple of dollops of Mayonnaise
about a tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar or whatever vinegar you prefer
about a tablespoon Honey
dash of Salt
dash of White Pepper

Mix all ingredients completely.

Serve inside of Romaine Lettuce leaves or just eat as is.

Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-05-27 21:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Last night.

Copper river sockeye salmon.

Sprayed the pan and the fish steal with olive oil. Skin side down.

Crushed garlic, minced dill weed, lime juice. Applied to the flesh side.

Baked at 325f with a speed bake function 20 minuets. (It was 1.8" thick.)

No pics, just memories.
[+]
VIP
By Terraka 2015-05-27 21:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Last night I made a pizza pasta, today roommate made sloppy joes, tomorrow I'll probably make spaghetti or something out of a box, however I'm feeling then lol

No pictures to share though.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8