Whats A Good Anime To Watch?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Whats a good anime to watch?
Whats a good anime to watch?
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-01-02 02:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Panty and Stocking was pretty great for a while. Last few episodes were kinda meh. Reminds me a lot of watching too much Ren and Stimpy.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-02 02:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

again it was FLCL that I meant was overrated, I haven't even seen brotherhood yet.

and that video just blew my mind
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 02:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know any mecha with similar art to Gundam Seed and 00? I've watched a few Turn A episodes since it got a high rating but it's not really my type. For mecha I like the more modern look.
 Cerberus.Thejew
Server: Cerberus
user: Thejew
By Cerberus.Thejew 2011-01-02 02:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it was mentioned on page 3 but "Baccano!" Is pretty damn amazing for an anime, and I don't like anime much. Lol
 Caitsith.Judaine
Server: Caitsith
user: Judaine
By Caitsith.Judaine 2011-01-02 02:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

VAMPIRE KNIGHT AHHHHHHH~
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-01-02 02:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Judaine said:
VAMPIRE KNIGHT AHHHHHHH~

Is this actually good? I was thinking of checking it out but I worry that it might just over-hyped by teen girls who are still riding the Twilight thing out, since 95% of the reviews I have read someone mentions Twilight in them.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2011-01-02 02:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
again it was FLCL that I meant was overrated, I haven't even seen brotherhood yet.

and that video just blew my mind
I want to get my hands on the OST. >_>
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 02:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Lillica said:
Caitsith.Judaine said:
VAMPIRE KNIGHT AHHHHHHH~

Is this actually good? I was thinking of checking it out but I worry that it might just over-hyped by teen girls who are still riding the Twilight thing out, since 95% of the reviews I have read someone mentions Twilight in them.

It's like ouran with vampires and some action.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-01-02 02:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

For those introduced to Super Robot-ish genre through Gurren Lagann, you might like Mazinkaiser SKL. A three part OVA with the first episode just released a couple days ago. It's a niche love-letter pandering to the old school fans (mostly Go Nagai's obviously) but it's easy to grasp and is mostly stand-alone.

Alternatively, you can check out one of Gainax's earlier forays into the mecha world, Gunbuster

Gainax is a studio made by fanboys for fanboys, so catching up on the older stuff might have you appreciating the great homages their shows toss around.

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 02:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
For those introduced to Super Robot-ish genre through Gurren Lagann, you might like Mazinkaiser SKL. A three part OVA with the first episode just released a couple days ago. It's a niche love-letter pandering to the old school fans (mostly Go Nagai's obviously) but it's easy to grasp and is mostly stand-alone.

Alternatively, you can check out one of Gainax's earlier forays into the mecha world:

Gainax is a studio made by fanboys for fanboys, so catching up on the older stuff might have you appreciating the great homages their shows toss around.

Thanks, you know anything that's already released (like one or two seasons with 25ish episodes)? Want something longer to watch :O I'm not that picky with the art but for mecha I do prefer the "new" look over the older.
[+]
 Fenrir.Chubi
Server: Fenrir
user: paigee
By Fenrir.Chubi 2011-01-02 03:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been watching alot of Shoujo animes, but they're pretty funny... not sure if OP is into girly animes but, some good ones that I haven't seen people mention are

Minami-ke (Okaeri, Second season didn't enjoy as much)

School Rumble (My absolute fave)

Kimi Ni Todoke (Heart warming!)

Skip beat! (Love the main girl char)

Lovely Complex (Love the main guy char)

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge [The Wallflower]
(drawings kinda sucky but the story and humour make up for it! so good... I could not stop laughing each and every episode)

I'm gonna check out the live action adaptations of those too, they seem alright.

Also the live action of Itazura no Kiss... Korean version was cute to watch... was called Playful kiss.

The endings kinda suck, but if you're into manga then should definitely read those if you want the continuation of the story... manga almost is always better than anime xD

Summer Wars was a pretty good movie too. Not sure if it was mentioned yet .... I know people have mentioned a lot of good animes already, but that's all that I could come up with from top of my head atm!

PS. Was Bacanno! meantioned yet?

Oh, I just remembered, Natsume Yuujinchou kind of reminded me of mushishi... Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou is second season I think. Sorry for all my ninja edits T_T

Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-01-02 03:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:

Thanks, you know anything that's already released (like one or two seasons with 25ish episodes)? Want something longer to watch :O I'm not that picky with the art but for mecha I do prefer the "new" look over the older.

spoiler'd for hueg

Mecha isn't really a single set genre so it's hard to say. You mentioned Gundam, which is probably the most well-known "real robot" anime.

If you like that stuff for the relatively realistic and down-to-earth military tone, check out the Patlabor movies/OVA or the Patlabor TV series (stand-alone timeline, much lighter in tone and slice-of-life-ish). I'd recommend Armored Trooper VOTOMS but it's an expansive setting that's a bit hard to swallow (you'll need to watch the 1983 TV series to make any sense of the later OVAs).

If you're in for the multitude of characters and drama, there's Infinite Ryvius (it has no mecha, but it's sci-fi and hey, same artist as Gundam SEED!), Eureka 7, Fafnir (also Gundam SEED's artist, also a grim and melodramatic show), and RahXephon (which is often compared to Evangelion for plenty of reasons)

And of course... there's more Gundam. 00, Wing, SEED/DESTINY/, X, and G Gundam are all set in alternate stand-alone continuities, but if you're willing to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam series (or compressed compilation movies, as the list suggests), you'll be introduced to the huge-*** Universal Century Gundam timeline. The fun there is that it's a pretty fleshed out world with a never-ending tide of sidestories.

UC Gundam includes:

Quote:
* Mobile Suit Gundam (TV: 1979; compilation movies: 1981–1982)
* Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (TV: 1985; compilation movies: 2005–2006)
* Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (TV: 1986)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (movie: 1988)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVAs: 1989)
* Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (movie: 1991)
* Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OVAs: 1991; compilation movie: 1992)
* Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (TV: 1993)
* Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (OVAs: 1996, compilation movie: 1998)
* Gundam Neo Experience 0087: Green Divers (specialty format movie: 2001)
* Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO (CGI movies The Hidden One Year War: 2004; OVAs Apocalypse 0079: 2006)
* Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: Gravity Front (HDV CGI movies 2008)
* Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (OVAs: 2010)[2]

I don't even know where to *** begin on this. There's so much to cover. To be honest, I'd check out the OVAs, as they're short side-stories that take place along side the main shows. They're also standalone (tells coherent stories with superb animation, and aged MUCH better than the TV series) and might help you ease into the various TV series if you like what you see.

Here's the latest entry in the UC Gundam universe.

In all, this is just going based off that mediocre list alone, let alone anything from the past 2 years. There's 30+ years worth of countless robot anime and this barely even touches it. There's even the long-running Super Robot Wars, a series of SRPGs (similar to Fire Emblem or Advance Wars), dedicated to crossing over these shows from all sides of the spectrum and giving them surprisingly coherent story lines (and funny enough, these games are what originally pulled me into mecha anime, aside from general robot stuff like MechWarrior/Armored Core)

For fun, here's a troll list (a good chunk of them are regarded as real stinkers):
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 04:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Watching episode 2 of Unicorn atm actually, it's pretty cool even though I haven't seen the stuff before it. Thanks for that first pic, gonna see what looks interesting! I used to hate mecha but after getting into stuff like Stargate I really enjoy it lol. As for what kind I like I'd say Gundam-ish war and morality stuff with some more up to date style to it, like 00 or Unicorn. I don't really mind the older style (Link) but for robots and space I prefer the other (Link).
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-02 04:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

@Ingraham

Robotech is on that list, that's an awesome show, one of my first mecha shows tbh...
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-02 04:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Watching episode 2 of Unicorn atm actually, it's pretty cool even though I haven't seen the stuff before it. Thanks for that first pic, gonna see what looks interesting! I used to hate mecha but after getting into stuff like Stargate I really enjoy it lol. As for what kind I like I'd say Gundam-ish war and morality stuff with some more up to date style to it, like 00 or Unicorn. I don't really mind the older style (Link) but for robots and space I prefer the other (Link).

Gundam Wing is still my favorite, but I haven't seen them all yet so...
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-01-02 04:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
@Ingraham

Robotech is on that list, that's an awesome show, one of my first mecha shows tbh...

Yeah, someone slapped it on there to to take a stab at the small yet vocal "OUR AMERICAN VERSION IS BETTER" crowd.

Robotech was more than just a dub of the original Macross, they toned down the romance and played up the more militaristic aspects, adding in their own original lore so it's all just taste really. It's better said here.

Sequel-wise, we made our own;

In Japan, they went on with Macross Frontier, Macross Zero etc., so they're pretty much two different series at this point.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 04:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Any good? I read about it on ANN but they don't let you check reviews afaik.
 Bahamut.Gimmeurselables
user: Loltron
By Bahamut.Gimmeurselables 2011-01-02 04:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Lillica said:
Bahamut.Gimmeurselables said:
The second season is kind of a let-down compared to the first, but still enjoyable, just so you know.

Also I didn't read through the pages but one of my all-time favorites is GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka). Won't be disappointed.

Yeah the person who suggested DtB to me actually said "THERE IS NO SECOND SEASON" when he told me about it. He kinda gave me a brief rundown of why he said that and from what he said I might just skip it.

Also GTO is one of my favorite anime/live action series of all time. Shonan Junai Gumi is also worth checking out if you are a big GTO fan.
Was definitely worth watching
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-01-02 05:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

That's the cool thing about UC Gundam, you don't NEED to watch the other shows, but it definitely helps (and you'll catch a ***-load of in-universe references). All the shows simply take place throughout different periods in time during Universal Century.

As for shows like Gundam Wing, they're set in their own standalone worlds so they don't have to worry about retcons or anything like that.

Still, there's this director. He's a bit more grounded in reality (as much as you can with giant robots at least) and often focuses on small-scale battles and hidden wars. Gasaraki is his only modern show though (he's the VOTOMS guy) but you can check out his much older shows (Fang of the Red Sun Dougram etc.) if you can stomach the aged animation.

Quote:
Set in the near-future the series is formed around political narratives that concern a fictional war between the US and the fictional Middle Eastern country of Belgistan. An influential Japanese family, the Gowa, produce a bipedal weapon, the TA. When US military forces attempt to seize the capital they are systematically wiped out by what appear to be rival TAs. The Gowa Family seizes this opportunity to demonstrate their weapon system, and civilian pilot Yuushiro Gowa and the military squad to which he is attached are deployed to Belgistan. There, he meets rival TA pilot Miharu, with whom he seems to share a deep spiritual bond.

... yeah. it gets into wacky spiritual mindfuckery stuff later on but still sorta neat until then but some might like his style

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-02 05:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I have Gasaraki downloaded actually :O I watched the first few dvds years ago but one of them was broken so I forgot about it until recently.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-02 18:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Any good? I read about it on ANN but they don't let you check reviews afaik.

very good.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-03 18:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't watch the Gundam 00 Movie from BSS+GG because it's really annoying to read those subs. They mix in Japanese words for stuff (like private armed organization) in the subs, so it says shisetsubusoushiki which isn't even right, because it's supposed to be soshiki at the end. One other sentence is "However! It's not kisama-ra's deban!" which should be "However, it's not your turn!" (to shine basically) but they leave it in Japanese because of its "complexity" and it just makes it really awkward.

They even translate Celestial Being to tentaiseibutsu when the name is said in English in the show/movie. They also add tachi to Gundam when more than one appears (the guy didn't even add tachi when he said it) and even write teki instead of enemy. This is all in the first 5 minutes and it makes it extremely annoying to watch, at least to me.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-03 18:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:

Alternatively, you can check out one of Gainax's earlier forays into the mecha world, Gunbuster

Gunbuster was *** great.
Diebuster is also an honorable mention in that vein.

[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-03 18:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't watch the Gundam 00 Movie from BSS+GG because it's really annoying to read those subs. They mix in Japanese words for stuff (like private armed organization) in the subs, so it says shisetsubusoushiki which isn't even right, because it's supposed to be soshiki at the end. One other sentence is "However! It's not kisama-ra's deban!" which should be "However, it's not your turn!" (to shine basically) but they leave it in Japanese because of its "complexity" and it just makes it really awkward.

They even translate Celestial Being to tentaiseibutsu when the name is said in English in the show/movie. They also add tachi to Gundam when more than one appears (the guy didn't even add tachi when he said it) and even write teki instead of enemy. This is all in the first 5 minutes and it makes it extremely annoying to watch, at least to me.
that's what you gotta deal with when it comes to the home-made subs of today :P
i've seen a few that they just make up ***all-together, so at least they made an effort :p

still way better than the subs we had 10 years ago though.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-03 18:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

gg never subs like that, I think it's BSS subs and gg's encoding or something. Not subbing stuff like kisamara is just stupid because it doesn't make sense. They could put a little note up top where they explain that it's not a very nice way to say "you guys" but it's not necessary when people who have seen the series should know at least that much. gg are actually pretty good subbers so this is disappointing.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-03 18:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

gg never subs like that, I think it's BSS subs and gg's encoding or something. Not subbing stuff like kisamara is just stupid because it doesn't make sense. They could put a little note up top where they explain that it's not a very nice way to say "you guys" but it's not necessary when people who have seen the series should know at least that much. gg are actually pretty good subbers so this is disappointing.
yeah they probably got behind on getting it subbed and pulled a sub from elsewhere.
i think honestly it's just laziness on the editor part/lack of editor at the time.

i hate the main group that subs dragon ball kai...
they haaaaave to outline their text in the color liken to the characters don't they -_-
makes it so hard to read at times.

i honestly don't really go by what group subs what anymore just due to the over-abundance of subbers available nowadays.
way better than back in the day waiting on dattebayo and others to release because no one else did it(dattebayo isn't the greatest example, just the one i can think of off the top of my head)

Crunchyroll flipped the script for quite a few animes just by having the animes being subbed right from the get go though.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-03 18:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst subs ever were some One Piece subs that translated from Japanese to Chinese to English or whatever, came out so funny though. Link Same guys who subbed the One Piece episodes lol
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-03 18:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say Kaizoku-Fansubs are the best subbers I've seen when it comes to translation.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-03 18:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm quite partial to Shinsen subs.

edit: and Eclipse...
but that's because they seem to do like high production standards IMO.
other than that it's whatever lol.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-03 19:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I like Shinsen and Eclipse, as well as gg but this time it's just unwatchable to me lol. It's so distracting to have Japanese words, that aren't attacks or don't have a real translation (that works well), in the subs.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46